Nothing In Particular

Subjects that don't have their own home
Nick
Site Admin

#9046 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by Nick »

Ant wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2018 2:00 pm Always had shoei lids until I went in cusworths in Doncaster years ago and got a shark lid. Salesman said
" if its good enough for foggy then its certainly good enough for you"
Could never get an arai that fit right, the shark fit lovely and had a little part that came up to the nose to stop the visor misting up when it was cold which actually worked.
Best mate wont have anything other than an arai to this day
If a salesman tried that on me I would have refused to use the shop or maybe asked to have the same deal as foggy. After all if it's good enough for foggy ...
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

#9047 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by Mike H »

What have I started now .. Image

-

"No matter how fast light travels it finds that the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it."
Ant
Shed dweller

#9048 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by Ant »

The end of days!!!!! :D
Also starring Rex Hamilton as Abraham Lincoln

www.bte-designs.weebly.com
steve s
Shed dweller

#9049 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by steve s »

Talking about bikes I've just added a couple more to the collection
1st I was tempted by a honda s90 a very original 1968 model. The chrome mudgaurds rims etc are as close to perfect as one could hope for
The engine was sized which is proving to be a bit of a sod.. getting the case screws out has been a challenge so far.. but I'll get there this week
But I'm having a day off from the s90 tomorrow as I have to make space in the garage for the second addition.. a 1959 clubmans Goldie..
I had a go on this 20 years ago and it's been stood in a green house ever since, and in quite good nic considering... I've known the bike since the mid 70's but did not think he would ever part with it ...
Can't wait to get started on that one...
The tube manual is quite like a telephone book. The number of it perfect. It is useful to make it possible to speak with a girl. But we can't see her beautiful face from the telephone number
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

#9050 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by Mike H »

Ah yes Honda case screws, remember them well - still got the impact driver I bought for doing my CD 175 - one of the bits shows signs of stress, i.e. has a slight twist in it. Pretty sure I still had to drill out some heads tho.

-

"No matter how fast light travels it finds that the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it."
Nick
Site Admin

#9051 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by Nick »

1959 clubmans Goldie
You can go off people you know :-)

Closest I got was a B25 Starfire
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
steve s
Shed dweller

#9052 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by steve s »

Mike H wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2018 3:20 pm Ah yes Honda case screws, remember them well - still got the impact driver I bought for doing my CD 175 - one of the bits shows signs of stress, i.e. has a slight twist in it. Pretty sure I still had to drill out some heads tho.

-
The dewalt impact driver does the job most of the time along with a bahco 1/4 drive phillips socket.. but some of these are really tight
The heads are JIS but phillips seems close when hammered in...

Nick you may not be so impressed if you saw it.. There is a lot of work to do...
The tube manual is quite like a telephone book. The number of it perfect. It is useful to make it possible to speak with a girl. But we can't see her beautiful face from the telephone number
Nick
Site Admin

#9053 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by Nick »

Nick you may not be so impressed if you saw it.. There is a lot of work to do...
But we both know what it will be like when it's done :-)
Dave the bass
Amstrad Tower of Power

#9054 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by Dave the bass »

Nick wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2018 9:40 pm
Full of mashed screwdriver bits stuck in all the cover screws by the sounds of it!
"The fat bourgeois and his doppelganger"
ed
retired

#9055 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by ed »

who is foggy?
There's nowhere you can be that isn't where you're meant to be
Nick
Site Admin

#9056 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by Nick »

Carl Fogarty
steve s
Shed dweller

#9057 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by steve s »

Dave the bass wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2018 10:02 pm
Nick wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2018 9:40 pm
Full of mashed screwdriver bits stuck in all the cover screws by the sounds of it!
You are too perceptive Dave..
I once restored a Ariel arrow, every bolt on the body needed grinding off.
When you 1st get an old bike you never really think the worst ....

I half expected the s90 's engine to be a challenge, and its probably not going to be too bad... once it's apart of course.
The Goldie I think I could get running in an hour.. but there months of buffing, cleaning and checking everything that moves... and then the real expense, the rechroming, can see 1k worth at this point at least
But before I do that I'll clean what there is with fine wirewool and oil.
Then a fine buffing, everything I can rescue is money saved. I'm not planning on parting with the Goldie unlike some of the other bikes
I prefer to keep as much as I can original, not that the bike is 100%. there is a Norton alloy front hub on it
But everything else looks standard
Including just a std gearbox (not the racing rrt version), when ordering new you could specify gearbox type / brakes/ engine tuning /etc.

I was offered an immaculate goldstar when I bought the wlc 45 a few years ago. I have always regretted not getting it.
Anyway I'm far busier now than when I was working, too many projects and not enough time !
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

#9058 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by Mike H »

steve s wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2018 8:38 pm The dewalt impact driver does the job most of the time along with a bahco 1/4 drive phillips socket.. but some of these are really tight
The heads are JIS but phillips seems close when hammered in...
I just remembered, the biggest problem I found was like the heads are made of yak cheese so the slots just tore out if you weren't very careful.

-

pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#9059 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by pre65 »

Steve, if you intend riding the Goldie someday you will be better off without the RRT2 gearbox. :)

It is good for bragging rights in the pub though. :lol:

My ideal Goldie would be a road going Catalina (scrambler) without a GP carburetor.
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

G-Popz THE easy listening connoisseur. (Philip)
Nick
Site Admin

#9060 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by Nick »

Steve, if you intend riding the Goldie someday you will be better off without the RRT2 gearbox. :)
It does depend WHERE he would intend riding it.