Nothing In Particular

Subjects that don't have their own home
ed
retired

#9331 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by ed »

round here the only thing moaning is the wind.

snigger
There's nowhere you can be that isn't where you're meant to be
shane
Social outcast

#9332 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by shane »

Just took me half an hour to drive from Yealmpton to Newton Ferrers, a distance of about three miles. Astonishingly beautiful, but why are people so stupid? Instead of taking a bit of a run at a hill and maintaining steady progress, the S class Mercedes in front chickens out at the bottom, tries to turn round and gets stuck in virgin snow. Just enough room for me to nip past at about 20mph and scrabble up with an unbearably smug look on my face.
The world looks so different after learning science. For example, trees are made of air, primarily. When they are burned, they go back to air, and in their flaming heat is released the flaming heat of the Sun which was bound in to convert air into tree.
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

#9333 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by Mike H »

White out!

Can't see the houses opposite.
White-Out.jpg
Don't go out without a compass...

"No matter how fast light travels it finds that the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it."
Michael L
Old Hand

#9334 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by Michael L »

shane wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2018 1:15 pm Just took me half an hour to drive from Yealmpton to Newton Ferrers, a distance of about three miles. Astonishingly beautiful, but why are people so stupid? Instead of taking a bit of a run at a hill and maintaining steady progress, the S class Mercedes in front chickens out at the bottom, tries to turn round and gets stuck in virgin snow. Just enough room for me to nip past at about 20mph and scrabble up with an unbearably smug look on my face.
Many drivers have limited ability or confidence, especially evident when it comes to driving in poor conditions. When I were a lad, as they say in Shaftsbury, in this sort of weather we would take our vans somewhere free of vehicles to get some practice driving on slippery surfaces. Having an idea of what to expect is very handy. It was a lot of fun too.
Cressy Snr
Amstrad Tower of Power

#9335 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by Cressy Snr »

Aye,
"Well I can't go out, it's snowing" didn't wash when there was a load of line faults to deal with.
You got out there and fixed them. :D
Sgt. Baker started talkin’ with a Bullhorn in his hand.
simon
Thermionic Monk Status

#9336 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by simon »

I spent last night in the middle of the M1 trying to fix a big mechanical expansion joint that suddenly failed closing lanes :-(. Fortunately the worst of the blizzards held off where we were but driving back was a bit exciting - areas where it was impossible to tell where lanes were, just a white out. At least there was so little traffic it wasn't a problem.
andrew Ivimey
Social Sevices have been notified

#9337 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by andrew Ivimey »

There's something about the way the snow falls as I drive (-: farrrrout!!!!! Hypnotic / mesmerising, trippy without the druggy psychadelica...
Philosophers have only interpreted the world - the point, however, is to change it. No it isn't ... maybe we should leave it alone for a while.
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

#9338 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by IslandPink »

Came out of work this evening and it was the coldest I can remember aside from a handful of times in the mountains. -4 deg C, strong NE wind, powder snow drifting across the path to the car park. Had to take refuge in the Plough in St.Asaph for a couple of hours !
"Once you find out ... the Circumstances ; then you can go out"
Neal
Shed dweller

#9339 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by Neal »

-6 here and it has been snowing quite hard, still, the postie managed to get through but I was disappointed to note that he had forgone his usage of short trousers! :D
Only the Sith deal in absolutes.
Michael L
Old Hand

#9340 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by Michael L »

Looks like we're getting a bit short of gas. We had a nice big reservoir but it's no longer operational. Not cost effective to maintain.

https://www.theguardian.com/business/20 ... ng-weather
Ray P
No idea why I do this anymore

#9341 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by Ray P »

Rather belatedly Somerset is joining the party; it's snowing hard and they've just sent us home from where I work.

Apparently we're where Emma is going to meet the Beast.
Sorry, I couldn't resist!
Baggy Trousers
User

#9342 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by Baggy Trousers »

I was living in London during the terrible winter of 1962/3 in days when there were not that many cars around. In the side roads the snow was about 2 feet deep and had drifted into great mounds in the more exposed places. The place was deserted.

At that time I owned a 1926 Austin 7 and accompanied by my squeeze of the moment, I would execute all manner of gyrations in the empty streets and then broadside the little car on almost bald motorbike tyres into one of the large drifts. Wonderful infantile fun! That was until we discovered concealed within an unusually large heap was someone's pride and joy. Oops!

I do hope it wasn't yours . . .
Last of the late brakers.
Toppsy
Shed dweller

#9343 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by Toppsy »

been snowing here up in Lancashire since Monday. Just light showers today but a lot overnight.
Here is the scene from our kitchen window earlier today of the rear garden area.
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

#9344 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by IslandPink »

Hmm, no surprises there Colin !
Talking of 1962/3, Denbighshire still hold two UK records for snow, in Jan '63 : most snowfall in 24 hours on level ground - 24 inches ( Denbigh moors ) ; most snow lying on level ground - 5 feet ( near Ruthin ) .
"Once you find out ... the Circumstances ; then you can go out"
ed
retired

#9345 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by ed »

Baggy Trousers wrote: Thu Mar 01, 2018 3:51 pm I was living in London during the terrible winter of 1962/3 in days when there were not that many cars around. In the side roads the snow was about 2 feet deep and had drifted into great mounds in the more exposed places. The place was deserted.
It's a jolly good job there weren't many cars Baggo. My cuz and I took our tea trays to windmill hill in Hitchin. What japes! the bottom of windmill hill was a 3ft high wall and then the pavement and then the main road to Stevenage. All the sleds, tea trays, other flat surfaces reached the bottom of the hill at vast speed, launched off the wall and flew into the road, usually stopping at about the middle, sometimes making it to the other side.

This went on for about a fortnight....can't remember what I did last week though.

edit:
it's still there whoopee:
https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@51.94903 ... 312!8i6656
There's nowhere you can be that isn't where you're meant to be