Nothing In Particular

Subjects that don't have their own home
Nick
Site Admin

#11086 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by Nick »

Ray P wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 3:58 pm
Nick wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 9:53 am Yep, exactly, I want a 2a3 friendly OB. Not got the Lii drivers out the box yet, may do this weekend, but as I say, I have no spare time ATM.
Interesting. So passive (series) crossovers too?
Thats the idea.
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
Irene Idler
User

#11087 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by Irene Idler »

As Mr. Idler fussed with RCA cables at the back of the GL-72 (which cressy so lovingly restored for us), he suddenly commented, "Why I'm obsessing so much about getting the left and right channels the right way around for playing 78s is beyond me."

Nevertheless, thanks to our new toy, the Graham Slee Revelation M phono stage, which has adjustable EQ and comes with a table with recommended settings for different labels, countries, and eras, in mere moments we will be able to listen to my 78s as they were originally intended to be heard.
"Hey, you know the rules, baby. If you wanna PLAY funky, you gotta SMELL funky." -- Mike Troutman
Ant
Shed dweller

#11088 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by Ant »

Glad to know it's getting used as intended :mrgreen:
Is that 78 cartridge I passed on still OK or have you had to replace it?
Cheers ant
Also starring Rex Hamilton as Abraham Lincoln

www.bte-designs.weebly.com
Irene Idler
User

#11089 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by Irene Idler »

It was a stereo cartridge with a 78 stylus on it. We have replaced it with an AT Mono3 4/SP, which is sounding spectacular so far. With this phono stage and cartridge, we're getting an immediacy to the music that we just weren't getting with the RIAA EQ from our Rotel amp/receiver. Surface noise seems a bit worse, but with 78s that's only to be expected, as most have been hideously abused. I've devised a cleaning solution that works brilliantly in the Loricraft and removes mold and other crud really well, but there's just only so much you can do.

BTW, the stereo cartridge with the mono stylus should be just what we need for playing Edison Diamond Discs, which use a vertical groove format instead of lateral. What you need to play those, if you haven't got an original Edison player, is a stereo cartridge with the channels wired out of phase.
"Hey, you know the rules, baby. If you wanna PLAY funky, you gotta SMELL funky." -- Mike Troutman
Ant
Shed dweller

#11090 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by Ant »

Cool
Also starring Rex Hamilton as Abraham Lincoln

www.bte-designs.weebly.com
Cressy Snr
Amstrad Tower of Power

#11091 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by Cressy Snr »

Watched a BBC4 recording of Chris Packham, talking about his punk rock teenage years and it prompted me to have a dig around the depths of my singles collection, looking for punk 45s of which I don’t have that many, as I was a couple of years too old at the time, to have really gotten into it. I preferred the Elvis Costello, Stranglers, Joe Jackson, Ian Dury, Squeeze, Wreckless Eric, Nick Lowe stuff that ran parallel to it from 1978-1980. Sadly, no “God Save The Queen” on A&M to be found.

In a quick first tranche, I found “I’m An Upstart”/“Leave Me Alone” by Angelic Upstarts, on green vinyl and blasted it out for a laugh, earlier this evening. It frightened the life out of the dog! as did “Love You More/Noise Annoys” by the Buzzcocks. :lol:

I remember seeing The Adverts at Doncaster Outlook sometime in 1978. The first thing Tim “TV” Smith said when they walked on stage was “Yer Northern bunch of c*nts.” which didn’t go down too well. Gaye Advert spent the first three songs(if you could call them that) screaming her head off at the soundman that she couldn’t hear her bass. In the end the soundman mounted the stage and flicked the switch on her instrument, at the same time shouting ‘in his best cockney, “try turning the fackin’ thing on!” It didn’t sound any different out front after that, so he might has well not have bothered. Then a big scrap broke out and me and my mate Garry cut our losses and escaped back through the Arndale Centre, taking refuge in The Nag’s Head. I’ve never heard to this day such a godawful noise. Even their hit “Gary Gilmore’s Eyes” was completely out of tune. Apparently their playing did improve over the three years they were operating. :lol:

Good times.
Sgt. Baker started talkin’ with a Bullhorn in his hand.
Irene Idler
User

#11092 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by Irene Idler »

Speaking of Elvis Costello, a producer/engineer friend of mine has been making digital transfers of some of the early records he worked on that are now unobtainium. Among them is a record by a band called The Killer Whales that was clearly heavily influenced by Elvis Costello and really pretty great. He hasn't uploaded the music yet, but he sent me digital files of the A and B sides. It was amazing to hear such great music that I'd never heard before, and which has been largely forgotten. Apparently the lead singer went on to have a 40-year career as a psychologist, and only the drummer is still doing music.

I'll see if it would be OK with him for me to share it, if anyone is interested.
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

#11093 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by Mike H »

and for the 78's

"No matter how fast light travels it finds that the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it."
Ray P
No idea why I do this anymore

#11094 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by Ray P »

I came across this link to an old American magazine over on DIY Audio that I thought might be of interest; there's an article about a DIY speaker based on the 'exciter' type principle and I'm sure Ant will like the arm/cartridge stuff...

From the ads anyone would think television was a growth industry in the 1950s!

https://www.americanradiohistory.com/Ar ... 955-06.pdf
Sorry, I couldn't resist!
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

#11095 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by IslandPink »

Wow, where do you start with that - fantastic !
First computer in a military aircraft - in 1955. Bell Telephone labs all over the scene.
I liked this one about the circuit for testing power supplies :
Surplus211.JPG
"Once you find out ... the Circumstances ; then you can go out"
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

#11096 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by IslandPink »

ps. I can't decide between miss Interceptor, miss Pixie and miss Imp !
jack
Thermionic Monk Status

#11097 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by jack »

That site is widely used in the radio restoration world - they have most of the historical radio & electronics mags, including the British ones.

Brilliant resource.
Vivitur ingenio, caetera mortis erunt
jack
Thermionic Monk Status

#11098 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by jack »

More benches for Chartwell - awaiting collection on Wednesday.

These are the 12th & 13th of this type made by this workshop, but the last of three I've made..

As mentioned before, these were supposedly designed by Clementine Churchill, hence being specific to Chartwell. I'll be making one for our garden later this year. The final finish sanding takes a full day per bench using a detail sander (I use a Fein) and a lot of 60, 80 and 120 grit paper...

One of the nice things about these is that, unlike the Lutyens benches I posted before, these are really comfortable to sit on...
IMG-20200120-WA0000-960x540.jpeg
IMG_20200126_105209-1008x756.jpg
Did a walk round Scotney estate this morning (780 acres in total) - very lovely. Dog even found some old molehills to investigate. Lots of owl & bird boxes up, and even a few bat roosting boxes...
IMG_20200126_114203-725x544.jpg
Vivitur ingenio, caetera mortis erunt
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

#11099 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by IslandPink »

Quality stuff - good effort !
Ali Tait
Eternally single

#11100 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by Ali Tait »

IslandPink wrote: Sun Jan 26, 2020 12:01 pm Wow, where do you start with that - fantastic !
First computer in a military aircraft - in 1955. Bell Telephone labs all over the scene.
I liked this one about the circuit for testing power supplies :

Surplus211.JPG
29 cents? Wouldn’t mind getting some for that price now. :shock: