Ali Tait
Eternally single

#11866 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by Ali Tait »

ed
retired

#11867 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by ed »

I'm very impressed by the dog robots, I bet they don't leave poo in the park.
The pack of dogs pulling the lorry reminded me of a dog race, will they eventually make lurchers redundant?
There's nowhere you can be that isn't where you're meant to be
Ali Tait
Eternally single

#11868 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by Ali Tait »

Not sure how they'd fare in the Iditerod.
jack
Thermionic Monk Status

#11869 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by jack »

ToS;DR

Well, I found it interesting - DuckDuckGo uses it to rate sites.
Vivitur ingenio, caetera mortis erunt
Michael L
Old Hand

#11870 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by Michael L »

I'm wondering what level of hum would be reasonable to find at my SET amp loudspeaker terminals. I'm seeing about 4mV 100Hz on both channels. I can hear the hum and the speakers aren't particularly sensitive.
Nick
Site Admin

#11871 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by Nick »

That's more than I would want, but depends on the circuit and heater supply.
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
Michael L
Old Hand

#11872 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by Michael L »

I imagine there will be some members here suffering hearing loss or having relatives with with the problem. If I recall correctly, there is an expert in the field amongst us.
My elderly mother has a small amount of hearing left in one ear - around 100dB loss and a powerful aid enables her to hear speech.
She has constant problems with acoustic feedback - despite a new ear mold having been taken. Gain has been adjusted to try to find a balance but too much reduction is obviously a problem. It is so irritating that she puts in an old less powerful aid and then cannot hear at all well.
I am wondering if having a microphone located remotely from the hearing aid might help things. Does anyone have any ideas or recommendations?
I fear profit margins may unduly influence the advice from retailers so I thought I would ask here first.
jack
Thermionic Monk Status

#11873 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by jack »

Michael L wrote: Sat Sep 19, 2020 3:55 pm I imagine there will be some members here suffering hearing loss or having relatives with with the problem. If I recall correctly, there is an expert in the field amongst us.
My elderly mother has a small amount of hearing left in one ear - around 100dB loss and a powerful aid enables her to hear speech.
She has constant problems with acoustic feedback - despite a new ear mold having been taken. Gain has been adjusted to try to find a balance but too much reduction is obviously a problem. It is so irritating that she puts in an old less powerful aid and then cannot hear at all well.
I am wondering if having a microphone located remotely from the hearing aid might help things. Does anyone have any ideas or recommendations?
I fear profit margins may unduly influence the advice from retailers so I thought I would ask here first.
Years ago I used to design & build audio conferencing systems for the government... To prevent feedback, I used a simple frequency multiplier to shift the speech by just a few Hertz - not enough to be audible, but enough such that if feedback occurred, it was never noticeable as in a split second it was gone.

Nowadays you'd do it in a DSP, but still a simple and useful trick.
andrew Ivimey
Social Sevices have been notified

#11874 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by andrew Ivimey »

Debussey on the piano = Jimi Hendrix. I've thought this quite a bit over the time. And it's worth thinking about.

Modern impressionism....
Philosophers have only interpreted the world - the point, however, is to change it. No it isn't ... maybe we should leave it alone for a while.
Nick
Site Admin

#11875 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by Nick »

Debussey on the piano = Jimi Hendrix.
Cant disagree with that. I do like Debussy a lot and Jimi goes without saying.
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
Ray P
No idea why I do this anymore

#11876 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by Ray P »

I remember drooling over it...

Sorry, I couldn't resist!
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#11877 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by pre65 »

Ray P wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 7:00 am I remember drooling over it...

Can't say I remember that, but it's too way out for me. I actually saw one of the Aston Martin Lagonda cars on the road the other day, looks very "odd" nowadays.

I was looking for 45 degree router bits, and I found some lock mitre bits which would be ace, if I had the skill and equipment set set things up.

I'm thinking of making some boxes for MoFo, four in total. Two each for power supply and heatsink/choke/circuit board. The local wood recycling centre have a viewing slot on Friday morning so I'll pop over and see what they have on offer.

It seems nice hardwood is rather expensive. :(
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

G-Popz THE easy listening connoisseur. (Philip)
ed
retired

#11878 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by ed »

The very first time I've seen the RAF brothers show up on flightradar24. There were 2 hawks over the Yorkshire dales having done sorties around Scotland and half a dozen hawks over Snowdonia...

what's going on?
There's nowhere you can be that isn't where you're meant to be
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#11879 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by pre65 »

ed wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 11:51 am The very first time I've seen the RAF brothers show up on flightradar24. There were 2 hawks over the Yorkshire dales having done sorties around Scotland and half a dozen hawks over Snowdonia...

what's going on?
They are spotting ramblers going walking in groups bigger than the current Covid regulations allow. :lol:

I find that site interesting when I'm bored as we get a lot of traffic overhead, or nearly overhead.(to/from Stansted and Luton mainly)

Last time I looked there were several helicopters doing circular tours.
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

G-Popz THE easy listening connoisseur. (Philip)
jack
Thermionic Monk Status

#11880 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by jack »

We had a Chinook for the first time in ages.

Years ago, we had them going past the house at window level (we are on top of a hill) several times a day - they were Patrick Mayhew's taxi service in the days when he was Northern Ireland Secretary. He lived a couple of miles away in Kilndown, the other village in this parish.

Nowadays we just get the Kent Air Ambulance.