Nothing In Particular

Subjects that don't have their own home
Dave the bass
Amstrad Tower of Power

#11551 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by Dave the bass »

Greg wrote: Mon Jun 08, 2020 11:12 am
Dave the bass wrote: Mon Jun 08, 2020 9:47 am BPM, just around tickover I'd say!
Can you tune our Enfield to be as regular as that?
I'll give it a go Greg, though given the slop in the mechanical AR unit it might swing a bit more!
"The fat bourgeois and his doppelganger"
Ray P
No idea why I do this anymore

#11552 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by Ray P »

Anyone fancy a restoration job?

https://www.diyaudio.com/forums/swap-me ... ifier.html

I thought it was one of our Mr. Cresswell's amps up for sale at first! :lol:
Sorry, I couldn't resist!
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

#11553 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by Mike H »

I received an email via this forum but have no idea how to reply to it. So I'm putting it here:

ryno727 wrote:
I received a old Maplin Millennium Kit from my Dad,
I see you Posted a Revise Schematic for it in 2010.
http://www.audio-talk.co.uk/phpBB2/down ... hp?id=1813
Depends whether or not you want to retain the original Mullard circuit.

I think I did that one when I was going thnrough an "anti-pentodes" phase. If I did it again now I'd probably keep the EF86 front-end. If memory serves I think the ECC81 works better as the phase splitter when DC connected, not least because the grid bias is larger (more negative) so is more stable than the ECC83, if you tried DC coupling the '83 to the EF86 anode (and I did) it can tend to latch up when the first half's grid goes forward conductive, then it's permanently stuck like that.

Millennium's biggest problem was the passive components, bog-standard cheap Maplin fare just sounded shite, the whole board needs stripping and repopulating with passives that simply sound better. Problem with that tho is making some things fit, cos the spaces are too small for them. So you might end up chucking the boards. The O/P transformers are OK tho. But lose the 10 µF choke. This was another crazy idea that may not work too well. A very low value wirewound would be OK tho I think in lieu of.

HTH

"No matter how fast light travels it finds that the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it."
ed
retired

#11554 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by ed »

just had to share this......

we had a delivery first thing this morning..of a largish amazon parcel. I left it in the hall as the mem sahib hadn't woken up and it must be hers because I don't order stuff from amazon.

when she saw the parcel she announced that, among other items, my present had arrived. oooh, thinks I.

she opened the parcel and handed Sebastian the things that were for him and then extracted my 'present'.

It was a washing-up brush!!!! (I am the dishwasher in our house).

I was so touched....the old brush was getting a bit tired.
There's nowhere you can be that isn't where you're meant to be
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#11555 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by pre65 »

ed wrote: Thu Jun 11, 2020 11:36 am
I was so touched....the old brush was getting a bit tired.
It's good to be loved. :)
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

G-Popz THE easy listening connoisseur. (Philip)
Ray P

#11556 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by Ray P »

Two birds with one stone...

Off-timing alignment can be good

and he came on a bike!
jack
Thermionic Monk Status

#11557 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by jack »

Very strangely, this just turned up...

I left Dubai over a year ago. Last week, my old office reception refused to accept a parcel for me from Aramex (the Middle East's version of DHL) as I no longer worked there. However, one of my old team very kindly let me know about this, and I chased Aramex - all they knew was that it came via one of their forwarding addresses in New York with my destination code on it.

They sent me a photo of the dispatch label - it was from Agilent/Keysight/HP! I was interested!

So I rang the number on the label in NY - they confirmed it was for me, but from some other part of Keysight, probably in Malaysia...

Aramex wouldn't sent the parcel to me in the UK (they would only deliver in Dubai), so an old friend in Dubai very kindly took delivery of it and then forwarded it to me in the UK by DHL. It arrived this morning...

I have absolutely no idea why Keysight sent this to me, but I'm right chuffed! A really really superb meter.
IMG-20200617-WA0005.jpeg
Vivitur ingenio, caetera mortis erunt
Ray P

#11558 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by Ray P »

jack wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 9:28 pm I have absolutely no idea why Keysight sent this to me, but I'm right chuffed!
Nice.

Didn't you post something quite a while back about free stuff from HP?
jack
Thermionic Monk Status

#11559 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by jack »

Ray P wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 9:33 pm
jack wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 9:28 pm I have absolutely no idea why Keysight sent this to me, but I'm right chuffed!
Nice.

Didn't you post something quite a while back about free stuff from HP?
Well, I have a very good U1253B as well, but that has an OLED display which failed - after great palaver about 2 years ago, Agilent replaced the screen for free. Great customer service - most impressed with them.

But that was two years ago - I've had no dealings with them since.
IMG_20200617_215748_copy_756x1008.jpg
Last edited by jack on Thu Jun 18, 2020 6:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Vivitur ingenio, caetera mortis erunt
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

#11560 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by IslandPink »

jack wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 9:28 pm Very strangely, this just turned up...
Which was nice ...
whichwasnice.jpg
"Once you find out ... the Circumstances ; then you can go out"
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

#11561 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by IslandPink »

By a process of elimination I believe I have now worked out why the electricity on the ground floor has been tripping off in the last 2 weeks. It appears, by a process of elimination by unplugging everything, then putting things back on, one by one, it's the Hotpoint fridge-freezer.
So now I have it switched off, and my food is slowly warming up.
Hoping to get an electrician round tomorrow to confirm this and advise if the unit is junk.
Now I need to find out what ships are open and in what way, maybe I can get a small cooler from Currys if they are doing click & collect, but generally shpos are still closed here, at least until Monday.
I checked the fridge via the plug ( unplugged ) but there is nothing under 20meg in terms of leakage from either live or neutral, to the earth pin.
"Once you find out ... the Circumstances ; then you can go out"
Ray P

#11562 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by Ray P »

IslandPink wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 9:45 pm By a process of elimination I believe I have now worked out why the electricity on the ground floor has been tripping off in the last 2 weeks. It appears, by a process of elimination by unplugging everything, then putting things back on, one by one, it's the Hotpoint fridge-freezer.
The fridge-freezer might not be the root cause, it might be that the spike when it cuts in is causing another fault to trip the ring out. We've had something similar that turned out to be a wiring problem. That reminds me, now Covid mitigations are starting to ease I must return the insulation tester I borrowed and see how my brother (a qualfied electrician) is fixed to replace our aging consumer unit.
Last edited by Ray P on Thu Jun 18, 2020 10:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
simon
Thermionic Monk Status

#11563 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by simon »

It's usually fridges, freezers, and washing machines that trip RCDs apparently. Some electrical installations have a separate ring that's not on a RCD for this very reason. But do you feel lucky punk???

Our washing machine started to trip the RCD after it had been on a programme for a couple of minutes about 6 weeks ago. Not exactly a great time, in the middle of lockdown, but it was probably 20 years old and we just needed one so bought one online. It was delivered a few days later and they took the old one away for recycling for a tenner. Easy, no stress. They even delivered it just inside the front door making it easy to drag to its new home.

I was a bit miffed though, I'd only replaced the brushes about 5 years ago!

It was quite amusing though watching the two strapping lads try to move the old one with a sack barrow when I'd lugged it outside by myself.
Ant
Shed dweller

#11564 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by Ant »

simon wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 10:15 pm
I was a bit miffed though, I'd only replaced the brushes about 5 years ago!
I haven't read a more Yorkshire statement in a long time :D
Also starring Rex Hamilton as Abraham Lincoln

www.bte-designs.weebly.com
Nick
Site Admin

#11565 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by Nick »

"I was a bit miffed though, I'd only replaced the brushes about 5 years ago! So I took them out before they took it away"

Would be even more Yorkshire.
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.