Subjects that don't have their own home
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#11236 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by pre65 »

andrew Ivimey wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 6:07 pm

I sincerely hope I am wrong
So does my Mum, aged 93 and with a weakened immune system. :(
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

G-Popz THE easy listening connoisseur. (Philip)
andrew Ivimey
Social Sevices have been notified

#11237 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by andrew Ivimey »

Oh you can really see the private sector hospitals opening their doors..... not.

I've just come back from Lebanon ( for the second time recently) . At the weekend Heathrow seemed deserted, maybe it's just the weekend! But we shared a railway carriage out of St Pancreas to Beds with 10 hockey stick wielding young soluble italian women all the way......

And all these stupid ignorant bastards ( interviewed on radio 4) who were damning all to hell and were off the Cheltenham to shag, party, share all sorts of diseases because they don't care - bring it on! And when they return to their parents and their parents parents, who will get I'll and die. Unfortunately not the stupid and ignorant.

This rant started off as a bit humourous but it's not, is it.

Ho hum.
Philosophers have only interpreted the world - the point, however, is to change it. No it isn't ... maybe we should leave it alone for a while.
steve s
Shed dweller

#11238 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by steve s »

My lad is works for a global company he says the people who work in other countries are really taking steps, they can't believe how relaxed the UK is. They have their schools closed, home working lots of restriction etc
One person in Milan said it was like a war zone, all schools closed, shopping centres closed, everything closed in the evening inc restaurants etc and the supermarkets have only restricted opening.

Hopefully we won't get as bad as that but who knows.
The tube manual is quite like a telephone book. The number of it perfect. It is useful to make it possible to speak with a girl. But we can't see her beautiful face from the telephone number
jack
Thermionic Monk Status

#11239 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by jack »

The UK approach, which to some extent I concur with, seems to be that we'll all be exposed to this one at some point... By attempting to slow the progress of mass infection, the NHS will have more if a chance to cope...

It's not fun... We have a member of our immediate family with a depressed immune system and we know it's coming. Yes, many die every year from seasonal flu, but more don't as the NHS, whilst under strain, generally copes admirably.

In this case, due to the lack of ICU beds and the pathogenesis of Covid19, it's likely that many may simply die at home... The NHS will do what it can, but the likely numbers of concurrent cases will make its job very very tough.

The plan to reactivate retired doctors and nurses is an interesting one - these folk are in the vulnerable age groups and friends and family in the medical world tell us the there is anger at this suggestion and that uptake is poor.

Lastly, we have close family in Cheltenham - most realise that allowing the racing to go ahead unfettered was probably stupid & irresponsible, but, hey, money talks...
Vivitur ingenio, caetera mortis erunt
Ray P
No idea why I do this anymore

#11240 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by Ray P »

Agree Nick, that's pretty much the way I see it too - the spread is inevitable (it's what viruses do!) so trying to manage it from an available resource perspective looks to be a sensible plan.

I worry about my dear old mum (in her 80s) but I also know that I can't protect her in any meaningful way so she'll have to take her chances like everyone else - her odds look a lot worse than her grand children but still in her favour. I don't mean to sound callous or uncaring - I'm not - but it is what it is.

Anyway, we can be thankful we have the NHS and are not citizens of the US where you're not only exposed to the virus but also to the risk of a significant financial loss.
Last edited by Ray P on Thu Mar 12, 2020 12:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sorry, I couldn't resist!
ed
retired

#11241 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by ed »

There's nowhere you can be that isn't where you're meant to be
Ant
Shed dweller

#11242 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by Ant »

An interview with Nelson pass done at burning amp

https://parttimeaudiophile.com/2020/03/ ... l-podcast/
Also starring Rex Hamilton as Abraham Lincoln

www.bte-designs.weebly.com
chris661
Shed dweller

#11243 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by chris661 »

First CovidCancellation was this weekend, and I'm expecting more to come. Hopefully the tail-end of Summer will have a few gigs, but it looks like it's gonna be a tough year. Ho-hum.

Chris
steve s
Shed dweller

#11244 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by steve s »

The way it looks Owston seems a likely candidate for cancellation... I'll sit on it for the moment and see how things pan out
The tube manual is quite like a telephone book. The number of it perfect. It is useful to make it possible to speak with a girl. But we can't see her beautiful face from the telephone number
steve s
Shed dweller

#11245 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by steve s »

What annoys me is the slanted way the press are reporting on the death rates. Most of them using China as the example and Italy as the exception,
China built those new hospitals and supplied them with ventilators, oxygen etc. and had an good outcome
My guess we will be more ie Italy, there was a pic yesterday of a ward of not so old looking people, on camp beds and patients wearing surgical face masks, not oxygen masks, they are reserved for the younger ones.. Bleak times ahead?
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#11246 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by pre65 »

steve s wrote: Sat Mar 14, 2020 10:42 am Bleak times ahead?
Being realistic-probably. :(

Edmund Burke

Cressy Snr
Amstrad Tower of Power

#11247 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by Cressy Snr »

I’ll tell you what annoys me: it’s the pathetic, snivelling, miserable excuses for humanity, panic buying toilet paper. I’ve never seen anything so fecking ludicrous! I mean WTF is that about?

We did our weekly shop on Thursday and the shelves were completely stripped out of every single paper product. Parking in the Farm Foods car park whilst the missus went in and got some frozen food it was heaving, where normally there are a couple of cars - reason? Word had got out that they had stocks of bog roll and the sight of these c**ts walking out with trolleys full of the stuff made me feel sick! Selfish bastards!

And as for the press, relentlessly ramping up the terror levels...Yes we know it’s serious, we don’t need rolling news coverage and the steady drip, drip, drip of fear that gets more hysterical by the day.

I’d better shut up now. :x :angryfire: :angryfire: :angryfire:
Sgt. Baker started talkin’ with a Bullhorn in his hand.
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

#11248 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by IslandPink »

I'm totally with you on this Steve. Why do they think this is the key thing that's going to run out, for gods sake ?
Trouble about the news now is they'll have even more dead time to fill, now that there's no sport !
"Once you find out ... the Circumstances ; then you can go out"
Greg
Social outcast

#11249 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by Greg »

I’m more concerned about the callous policy our government has adopted to manage the problem. Interesting that it has now twice been attacked as wrong by the WHO. Our government want to slow down the spread of infection but not protect against it. They want enough of us (probably in excess of 65% of the population) to be infected to establish ‘Herd Immunity’ which leads to the virus no longer being a menace. Of course, this has happened before with Polio and Measles etc, but with these diseases, Herd Immunity was accomplished with the aid of a vaccine. Currently, we don’t have a vaccine.

My conclusion is our government is happy for the population to become generally infected, and has no regard for the vulnerable who will die as a result, other than to say, be aware, you’ll soon be burying your loved ones.

Self preservation is the only option. Lock yourself down and if that means before you do, buying up shed loads of bog rolls, so be it. Don’t blame the panic buyers, Steve, blame the bloody government for it’s callous, uncaring and dispassionate strategy. They apparently don’t give a toss about the vulnerable. Several of us must be within the vulnerable bracket. Johnson is now starting to show his real colours. Maybe he is happy to have a smaller U.K. population so long as it is a fit and productive one that will work hard to make an independent U.K. great. Then he can give the finger to the EU. There is no doubt that our government are thinking about the outcome and what happens after the infections subside. Bunch of c*nts, the lot of them.

Even in a tragedy like this, politics overrules any humanitarian consideration.
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#11250 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by pre65 »

I think that whatever the government does (or does not) do will invoke criticism, so they are buggered either way.

It's so easy for us to know what should be done when we don't have the responsibility to do so, or indeed knowledge of all the facts.

Edmund Burke