Nothing In Particular

Subjects that don't have their own home
andrew Ivimey
Social Sevices have been notified

#11191 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by andrew Ivimey »

No Nick, no Lurchers no ........
Philosophers have only interpreted the world - the point, however, is to change it. No it isn't ... maybe we should leave it alone for a while.
Ant
Shed dweller

#11192 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by Ant »

Managed to get hold of a nice Pratt burnerd 4 jaw chuck for the hobbymat md65 lathe today. Already on an md65 backplate, so shouldn't be any fettling required, or a minimal amount if there is some.
Also got a new dial guage off chronos to go with it, my old one is pretty nasty and knocked about, is imperial and about a million years old. I've always been dubious about how accurate it is now.
Paid through the nose for the chuck compared to a new Chinese one, but you get what you pay for when it comes to these things.
Still on the lookout for a bfe65, one popped up recently for good money but it was too far away to get it.
Shall have to keep looking
Also starring Rex Hamilton as Abraham Lincoln

www.bte-designs.weebly.com
ed
retired

#11193 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by ed »

I've just heard the new uk entry for eurovision...totally interesting, totally unique, totally original...yeah, I wish!

why can't we do something new for a change.....like get Jamie Cullum to knock something up in 5/4 or 7/8.....off the wall and likely to grab some attention...

just sayin
There's nowhere you can be that isn't where you're meant to be
Nick
Site Admin

#11194 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by Nick »

ed wrote: Thu Feb 27, 2020 1:07 pm I've just heard the new uk entry for eurovision...totally interesting, totally unique, totally original...yeah, I wish!

why can't we do something new for a change.....like get Jamie Cullum to knock something up in 5/4 or 7/8.....off the wall and likely to grab some attention...

just sayin
I agree, its hardly going to do worst.
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
Ali Tait
Eternally single

#11195 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by Ali Tait »

Should we not be kicked out of it now? :D
Cressy Snr
Amstrad Tower of Power

#11196 Time marches on

Post by Cressy Snr »

Just dug out my 1960s copy of Sgt Pepper. Obviously I can hear the incoherent blabber in the locked end groove, otherwise I’d be completely deaf, but the 15KHz tone cut into the actual run out groove is now inaudible except to the dog, who pricked his ears up and cocked an ear towards the hi-fi when it came on. That tone was audible to me, when I last played that particular copy twenty years ago.

So much for 20-20,0000 cycles eh!
Why we bother with hi-fi at our age Gawd knows. :lol: :lol:

Maybe my records still sound like crap; I just can’t hear up high enough, either to notice or care.
Sgt. Baker started talkin’ with a Bullhorn in his hand.
Ant
Shed dweller

#11197 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by Ant »

Well the lathe chuck I got has proved to be anything but a bolt on fit.....
The register in its adapter plate is spot on, so it goes on the original chuck backplate perfectly. But the pcd of 3 bolt holes is not the same. So they will have to be redrilled. Which will be a pain in the arse. Can't even make a transfer punch cos the backplate won't come off the spindle nose. I don't want to wreck the bearings trying to brute force it off either, I already had to heat the backplate up abit to get the chuck retaining bolts out.
Bugger.
It turns out that the lathe does not have the original chuck backplate, this one is one the previous owner made to fit this chuck for whatever reason. It is an original chuck though. The original backplate appears to have had 2 sets of holes in it for the standard 3 jaw and optional 4 jaw
The backplate absolutely refuses to come off the spindle nose, Ive already had to machine down some off the backplate so I could get the chuck bolts out. I need to machine some more off it so that the bolts can go back in square, as it is they have to come out at a slight angle but wont go back in properly at the same angle because the chuck has to sit on the register so it locates properly rather than being pulled away from it.
I will get it to fit, it'll just take some ingenuity to mark the hole centres
It looks like the spindle nose is threaded, so the bloody thing should come off, it would be rather simpler if it would, although the manual says not to take it off. could just use a transfer punch then centre drill each hole, drill them out and tap the thread. But nowt is ever simple.....
Last edited by Ant on Thu Feb 27, 2020 7:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

izzy wizzy
Old Hand

#11198 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by izzy wizzy »

ed wrote: Thu Feb 27, 2020 1:07 pm why can't we do something new for a change.....like get Jamie Cullum to knock something up in 5/4 or 7/8.....off the wall and likely to grab some attention...
just sayin
Caught him at Glastonbury by accident. He absolutely rocked it which I wasn't expecting. So much fun and tight! Gets my vote.
Ant
Shed dweller

#11199 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by Ant »

Found a denon moving coil that I like.
Got an original dl301 for not much money, it's lovely. 1982 vintage, almost the same age as me.
I have another 301 here that has knackered suspension, but that one gave a hint of greatness even in its sorry state, which is why I shouldn't browse ebay when bored, it always costs me money.....

None of the drawbacks of the 103. Has a line contact stylus on it that denon produced for cd4 use rather than a lump of coal, high compliance rather than low, tapered cantilever rather than a scaffolding pole, a top end, a bottom end, tracks like its on rails. No end of side distortion at all that I can pick up.
Not hating on the 103, I just like what I like :mrgreen:

The defenition in the bass is absolutely phenomenal, and this is compared to the Hana sl which is no slouch in any area.
It's not as 'correct' as the Hana, not quite neutral a little towards the warm side in a nice way. The Hana is probably a better cart. The 301 has some soul.
It's also very tuneful if that makes sense, it still has the denon DNA that makes so many people like the 103 for. The polar opposite of the 103 in spec, it still has those qualities.
It sounds fast and dynamic, the teeny tiny stylus (its absolutely miniscule, the Hana shibata looks twice the size in comparison) and extremely small tip mass probably helps
And this is on the jvc robot arm in a fairly light 9g headshell
I was going to put it on the AT1100 but I don't want to mess with the AT1100/dynavector dv20a2 combo which is so good.
It's odd, because I've heard a 301 ii, and i found it was abit weedy, abit sharp, and abit bass light. Didn't like it, but it was on a td160 with the tp16 arm on. It is probably a finicky bugger to get set up right, and probably wasn't set up right, but it didn't sound much like the original one.
Dead chuffed with it

jack
Thermionic Monk Status

#11200 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by jack »

Ant wrote: Thu Feb 27, 2020 6:40 pm Well the lathe chuck I got has proved to be anything but a bolt on fit.....
It it helps I can check what mine is like... I do have a blank backplate somewhere too...
Vivitur ingenio, caetera mortis erunt
Cressy Snr
Amstrad Tower of Power

#11201 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by Cressy Snr »

There’s a bomb in a house on our street. No I’m not kidding.
Cressy Snr
Amstrad Tower of Power

#11202 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by Cressy Snr »

Bomb disposal truck has now arrived.
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

#11203 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by IslandPink »

Cripes !
That could take your mind off the weather.
"Once you find out ... the Circumstances ; then you can go out"
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#11204 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by pre65 »

Cressy Snr wrote: Sat Feb 29, 2020 9:36 am Bomb disposal truck has now arrived.
Was that old munitions or some wally making his own ?
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

G-Popz THE easy listening connoisseur. (Philip)
Cressy Snr
Amstrad Tower of Power

#11205 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by Cressy Snr »

The cops, forensics and the army departed about an hour ago and the street was re-opened. It was a cache of explosives, bomb making equipment and firearms, apparently.

TBH I don’t know what this street is coming to. Last year a major drugs bust happened three doors away. I honestly fear for the future. Every time a property comes up for sale, it gets bought up by some buy to let landlord, who promptly rents it out to a bunch of fecking knobhead grass smoking scrotes. :x

Can’t afford to move away, so we’re stuck with it, till we leave in a box.
Last edited by Cressy Snr on Sat Feb 29, 2020 7:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.