Nothing In Particular

Subjects that don't have their own home
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#10546 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by pre65 »

Nick wrote: Mon Aug 05, 2019 10:06 am The battery has a 100,000 mile warranty, guaranteed minimum 70% retention of battery capacity.
The battery in the I-Pace is covered by an eight-year/100,000-mile warranty, and will be replaced by Jaguar if the battery performance (essentially the maximum range of the vehicle) drops by more than 30% in the first eight years.
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

G-Popz THE easy listening connoisseur. (Philip)
Ali Tait
Eternally single

#10547 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by Ali Tait »

Would think about a Tesla myself if I didn't do the miles I do. As it is I’m looking at a Lexus GS450h as my next runabout. Doing some digging, it appears Lexus battery faults are very rare even in older cars, and there are third party solutions that are much cheaper than the main stealer in any case, even one that promises improved performance and greater capacity.
Nick
Site Admin

#10548 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by Nick »

From what I can see that Lexus is similar to the 330e, in my case BECAUSE of the miles I do, neither makes a lot of sense, most of the journey would be not using the battery, so not much of an overall gain. The Tesla 3 on the other hand, with my 80 miles a day makes more sense as the saving in fuel would not be trivial.
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
Nick
Site Admin

#10549 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by Nick »

Tried making a list of what I have had to change in the 230,000 miles of the 320d. I am sure there are things I have missed.

suspension tie rods (several)
suspension bushes (several)
turbo
MAF sensor (several)
water pump (twice)
alternator
glow plugs
glow plug control module
traction control pump sensor (known fault in the unit)
bonnet open switch
rear drive shafts (cheapest way of replacing ABS sensor ring)
front springs
rear dampers (twice)
brake caliper
brake disks
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#10550 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by pre65 »

When (not if ) the government find a way to tax motorists on the electricity used to charge plug in electric cars the cost savings over petrol/diesel may not be so enticing. :cry:

Edmund Burke

Nick
Site Admin

#10551 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by Nick »

pre65 wrote: Mon Aug 05, 2019 12:16 pm When (not if ) the government find a way to tax motorists on the electricity used to charge plug in electric cars the cost savings over petrol/diesel may not be so enticing. :cry:
Thats when you put up solar panels and or a windmill. Much more possible than building your own refinery.
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#10552 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by pre65 »

Nick wrote: Mon Aug 05, 2019 12:19 pm
pre65 wrote: Mon Aug 05, 2019 12:16 pm When (not if ) the government find a way to tax motorists on the electricity used to charge plug in electric cars the cost savings over petrol/diesel may not be so enticing. :cry:
Thats when you put up solar panels and or a windmill. Much more possible than building your own refinery.
I really hope it's that simple.

Perhaps they (the government) will enable all vehicles with a "black box" and charge us all per mile travelled.

Edmund Burke

Ali Tait
Eternally single

#10553 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by Ali Tait »

Nick wrote: Mon Aug 05, 2019 11:52 am From what I can see that Lexus is similar to the 330e, in my case BECAUSE of the miles I do, neither makes a lot of sense, most of the journey would be not using the battery, so not much of an overall gain. The Tesla 3 on the other hand, with my 80 miles a day makes more sense as the saving in fuel would not be trivial.
The Lexus is more of a performance hybrid than being focussed on economy- cheap to run for a car of its type rather than being cheap to run full stop. I’m just after something reliable that doesn’t cost the earth to buy and will do large mileages with no major issues- Lexus seem to be a good bet for that.

Given the mileages I do I don't see it’s worthwhile for me to buy new, I would be just throwing money away.
Nick
Site Admin

#10554 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by Nick »

pre65 wrote: Mon Aug 05, 2019 12:34 pm

Perhaps they (the government) will enable all vehicles with a "black box" and charge us all per mile travelled.
So that's your argument against electric vehicles then? They may in some future be as expensive to run as the alternative is now?
simon
Thermionic Monk Status

#10555 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by simon »

Nick wrote: Sun Aug 04, 2019 10:55 pmLooks even better when I subtract my £250 a month fuel bill.
How do charging costs compare? I've no idea.
Ali Tait
Eternally single

#10556 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by Ali Tait »

Pretty well if you charge it at work. :D
Nick
Site Admin

#10557 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by Nick »

Ali Tait wrote: Mon Aug 05, 2019 12:51 pm
Nick wrote: Mon Aug 05, 2019 11:52 am From what I can see that Lexus is similar to the 330e, in my case BECAUSE of the miles I do, neither makes a lot of sense, most of the journey would be not using the battery, so not much of an overall gain. The Tesla 3 on the other hand, with my 80 miles a day makes more sense as the saving in fuel would not be trivial.
The Lexus is more of a performance hybrid than being focussed on economy- cheap to run for a car of its type rather than being cheap to run full stop. I’m just after something reliable that doesn’t cost the earth to buy and will do large mileages with no major issues- Lexus seem to be a good bet for that.

Given the mileages I do I don't see it’s worthwhile for me to buy new, I would be just throwing money away.
Yes, I can see that, but not sure what the extra complexity of the hybrid gives you in that case (other than a spare 50 bhp or whatever, which may be your goal). I can see the point of a plug in hybrid if 90% of your journeys fit in the battery, but not like both of us where most of the day is outside the battery range. You are just using petrol to carry some discharged batteries around.
simon
Thermionic Monk Status

#10558 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by simon »

Ali Tait wrote: Mon Aug 05, 2019 10:57 amDoing some digging, it appears Lexus battery faults are very rare even in older cars
My brother bought a Lexus SUV type hybrid a few years ago. It wasn't new but he had a problem with the hybrid system out of warranty (I don't remember exactly what now) and feared a big bill. Lexus sorted it free of charge - I guessed Lexus/Toyota didn't want any adverse publicity about their hybrid system.
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#10559 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by pre65 »

Nick wrote: Mon Aug 05, 2019 12:55 pm
pre65 wrote: Mon Aug 05, 2019 12:34 pm

So that's your argument against electric vehicles then? They may in some future be as expensive to run as the alternative is now?

No.Just saying that anyone doing it must accept that it will probably get more expensive.

I would like to see fuel cell electric vehicles become more prominent.

Edmund Burke

Nick
Site Admin

#10560 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by Nick »

simon wrote: Mon Aug 05, 2019 12:57 pm
Nick wrote: Sun Aug 04, 2019 10:55 pmLooks even better when I subtract my £250 a month fuel bill.
How do charging costs compare? I've no idea.
Guessing, if a 60Kwh battery will give you 250 miles my 80 mile trip would use 20kwh. Say a night rate of 11p per kwH, that means a days commute will cost £2.20 or say £45 a month. Currently I am paying about £250 for diesel.