Nothing In Particular

Subjects that don't have their own home
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#10486 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by pre65 »

Mike H wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 7:15 pm Just back from 10 days camping, Redmarley D'Abitot (nr Ledbury), Buttington (nr Welshpool) then Hanley Swan (nr Malvern).
Many years ago I took part in an off road hill climb at Red Marley. :)
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

G-Popz THE easy listening connoisseur. (Philip)
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

#10487 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by Mike H »

Small world! :D

"No matter how fast light travels it finds that the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it."
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#10488 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by pre65 »

I'm getting a free upgrade on my Broadband (from BT).

I'm going to be on FTC (fibre to cabinet) and should get around 35 meg. The new home hub has been delivered and should get connected on Tuesday 9th. The BT cabinet is about 50 yds from my abode.

Even with the old system the speed is a tad faster with the new home hub, nearly 14 meg.

Edmund Burke

shane
Social outcast

#10489 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by shane »

The BT HomeHub 6 is the same device as the EE SmartHub, so probably suffers from the same problem of not automatically switch from ADSL to FTTP when it’s supposed to. When your fibre goes live, if it doesn’t connect automatically you’ll have to do a factory reset by poking something in the reset hole in the back for 30seconds.
The world looks so different after learning science. For example, trees are made of air, primarily. When they are burned, they go back to air, and in their flaming heat is released the flaming heat of the Sun which was bound in to convert air into tree.
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#10490 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by pre65 »

Thanks for the tip Shane, I'll see what happens on Tuesday. :)

Edmund Burke

Ant
Shed dweller

#10491 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by Ant »

My trend t5 router finally expired.
Bought it new back in 2004 and it has been very well used, so I guess I got my monies worth.
There was a bang when I switched it off, wasn't electronic. So I took it to bits to see if it could be mended, and found that the moulded plastic rebate in the top cover that holds the top bearing on the armature in place was not really there any more. The plastic was cracked and chunks had broken off letting the armature flap all over the place. It can be fixed but the stator looks scarred up so even with new bits there no guarantee that it would be usable.
I was going to buy another t5, looked at the t4 too, but the review for the t4 said it was abit crap, and the t5 reviews were abit hit and miss too.
I ended up getting something from the left field, as I needed one straight away, a katsu laminate trimmer.......
It came with a standard trimmer base, an adjustable angle base and a plunge base. The router itsself looks almost identical to a makita and is apparently the same as the makita. Made in the same factory, by the same people. And it was available as a 110v unit for delivery straight away. As I work outside, I always get 110v stuff now. The t5 was not available straight away in 110v.
For 70 quid for the entire package, it was a no brainer.
Been using it today, and it feels like a makita, it accurate like a much more expensive unit, and has a load of feel to it which is really nice. Handling is actually very very good, much better than I expected. Handling and feel are the most important thing for me when it comes to tools.
And I am something of a tool snob, no silverline, gmc, b and q specials ect here, but the reviews I read about it seemed to suggest it was worth a punt.
And it was. If it blows up a new trimmer is 30 odd quid, and the makita rt0700c trimmer will fit all the bases if I wanted one of them.
But I dont think it will blow up to be honest.
Rather impressed with it
Also starring Rex Hamilton as Abraham Lincoln

www.bte-designs.weebly.com
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

#10492 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by IslandPink »

I could do with getting a proper router. The one I got a year or 2 back, from B&Q was just a stop-gap to get some urgent bits finished. Must have a look at the options again.
"Once you find out ... the Circumstances ; then you can go out"
ed
retired

#10493 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by ed »

I've got mixed feelings about routers....

back in the day I had a large workshop in the garden with spindles, tables, 12" planers etc and I was a bit of a snob too. I had an elu 177(rolls royce of routers). Then I hit hard times and moved to Hull in 2000 and the first time I plugged the elu in it damn near electrocuted me, the body had become live. I thought it was the Hull electricity(snigger). I took it to the nearest dealer and he checked it and couldn't find the problem so I binned it. I needed a router in a hurry so went to B & Q, thinking it would be temporary.....

I've still got it and it's still going strong...on about it's 4th set of brushes....I have a spare just in case but so far haven't needed it...
I also have a B & Q chop saw about the same vintage and it's still doing stirling service...

I'm loathe to criticise some budget stuff these days as the diamond in the rough seems to keep cropping up. As long as you buy something cheap as a stop gap and fully expect to buy the real thing sometime down the line..it's good to get pleasantly surprised when the budget thing lasts and lasts...
There's nowhere you can be that isn't where you're meant to be
Ant
Shed dweller

#10494 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by Ant »

I have 4 different ones at the moment. the first is a 1/2 inch heavy duty hitachi m12. It's beastly, really good for big areas and deep holes. I use it basically for material removal, roughing stuff out, squaring laminate plinths up. It has no finesse whatsoever, it's not much use for anything requiring a light touch, but is great for what it's meant for.

The second is a 1/4 inch bosch gof 900. To be honest it's abit big, heavy and clunky, and abit underpowered for what it is, but it is very stable and seems completely indestructible. I got it second hand about 10 years ago and it was actually manufactured in 1997! It has a micro adjuster so is used fitted into the router table to do rebates ect. It's great for that, but I wouldn't get that particular one if I was getting a 1/4" one for general use.

The trend t5 was a great 1/4" router, loads of feel, just heavy enough to be both stable and give enough feel and feedback to be accurate even freehand. Very smooth to use. Trend make very good routers tbh, apart from the t4 if the reviews are to be believed.

Then the katsu, which seems to have the qualities that made me like the t5, and seems very versatile. Wouldn't mind a cast fence for it, but the bosch micro adjustable fence for the gof 900 looks like it will fit. And for 70 quid I'm not complaining as the pressed steel one if came with actually seems pretty good.

Personally, I couldn't do without both a 1/4" and a 1/2" router, the only one I've ever used that could do the job of both was a festool 1/2" one that cost an absolute blummin fortune. And I'm not about to spend festool money on anything........

I need to stop with the tool snobbery, think it comes from working on the repairs side for a good few years, the bosch, dewalt, makita stuff et AL could be repaired 99 times out of 100, the b and q stuff usually got binned as parts weren't available. Look after stuff though and it will go on forever. I give my stuff a once over periodically, a good clean out and check things like switches and brushes. Use things how they were meant to be used and they will generally be fine, abuse them and they will break. Same as owt

shane
Social outcast

#10495 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by shane »

Took me a while to work out that the conversation had switched from rooters to rowters.
Never had a broadband router with a top bearing failure before....
The world looks so different after learning science. For example, trees are made of air, primarily. When they are burned, they go back to air, and in their flaming heat is released the flaming heat of the Sun which was bound in to convert air into tree.
Ant
Shed dweller

#10496 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by Ant »

It's pretty common on virgin media........

Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

#10497 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by Mike H »

Try jumping into the middle of this after half an hour of looking at a totally different forum.

My bwain was trying to make these posts fit into the context of what I was reading over there ... :lol:

"No matter how fast light travels it finds that the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it."
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

#10498 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by Mike H »

It's not just me is it? Some other(s) of you must have noticed there are loads of wild poppies popping up all over the shop this summer?

EDIT: in fact I had two small ones in the garden

pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#10499 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by pre65 »

pre65 wrote: Sat Jul 06, 2019 4:30 pm I'm getting a free upgrade on my Broadband (from BT).

I'm going to be on FTC (fibre to cabinet) and should get around 35 meg. The new home hub has been delivered and should get connected on Tuesday 9th. The BT cabinet is about 50 yds from my abode.

Even with the old system the speed is a tad faster with the new home hub, nearly 14 meg.
After a bit of faffing around the new Broadband is up and running.

Download = 49 mpbs

Upload = 9 mbps

Edmund Burke

jack
Thermionic Monk Status

#10500 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by jack »

Progress of sorts.

The new CU is in, we have temporary power and all old cabling now gone. Rotten wood removed and old (imperial) bricks inserted into run.

Using the WaterTite stuff to seal back wall after a render wash & a bit of re-plastering.

Removing the old plate supporting the joists on the back wall and replacing that with a 6 metre "C" channel 150x75mm that weighs in at about 90kg, so have ordered as 2 x 3m. 200 quid - free next day delivery - arriving today.

Plate to be fixed into damp wall in cellar using Fischer VL300T resin and a whole load of A4 stainless 130x10mm chemical fixings. These are amazing and will bolt the C-section to the rear wall & support the floor even though the bricks are damp. Joists (2x5" & 3x5") will sit in section at one end and in front wall at t'other. DPM behind beam and also protecting other end of joists (the end sitting in holes in the front wall).

Sump looking good. We had rain a couple of days ago and the cellar drains are dry & sump has a foot of water in it - result!
Vivitur ingenio, caetera mortis erunt