Nothing In Particular

Subjects that don't have their own home
Greg
Social outcast

#9811 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by Greg »

Mike H wrote: Wed Sep 26, 2018 9:09 pm Overheard the first night in the restaurant:

"We went, and they came, and they came again?"

No, have no idea what about. :shock:
Probably a variation of ‘whose coat is this jacket?’
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

#9812 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by Mike H »

:D

Yes very like. A case of, I know what I'm talking about.

"No matter how fast light travels it finds that the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it."
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#9813 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by pre65 »

I went to Brooklands today on a coach trip.A lot to see and we enjoyed the Concorde experience.

In the bus museum was a very old bus, I forget the year (EDIT 1920s Tilling Stevens) but it had solid tyres. The remarkable thing was the petrol engine drove a generator and there was an electric motor to drive the axle.

I wonder if it could catch on ? :lol:
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

G-Popz THE easy listening connoisseur. (Philip)
Dave the bass
Amstrad Tower of Power

#9814 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by Dave the bass »

Buses. Yep, they caught on. I saw one in Dirtfud yesterday.

Ha!
"The fat bourgeois and his doppelganger"
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

#9815 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by Mike H »

Sort of made me smile I guess - last couple of days been getting a weird smell in one of my kitchen cupboards. Sort of vaguely like a mix of soap and bleach. Open a door (it's double doors) it wafts out, but try to sniff it down to source it dissipates and disappears with the doors open. Taking cans bottles and spray cans out (ant killer, oven cleaner, fly killer, Flash, Dettol, hair shampoo, etc.) looking for leaks, none. Leave them out to see if the situation changes. No. Rubber gloves smelling? No. Four packets of wardrobe dehumidifiers that were mail ordered, sprung a leak in transit? No.

Keep trying to "surprise it" by whipping opening doors and having a quick sniff, and I've finally tracked it down to right of the top shelf.

So then I thought, OK what's changed? What's different? Well Tuesday I went to Essex then nipped into Tesco's Laindon for a few bits, milk bread etc., before the journey home, and had to buy two Tesco carrier/shopping bags wth handles. These then got put away in the cupboard, top right.

It's them barsteward things. Took them out the cupboard, and they're now reeking out the kitchen FFS. Definitely a distinctive chemical smell. Image

-

"No matter how fast light travels it finds that the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it."
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

#9816 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by Mike H »

Appendix: I've just had to put them in a black rubbish sack, they were too overpowering. :shock:

jack
Thermionic Monk Status

#9817 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by jack »

Great read. Cunning supply chain hack.

Lenovo share price down 20% (15% today) and ZTE heavily down too (50% since July). SuperMicro fell off a cliff and have lost about 45%.

FYI – Summary is that in a clever supply chain hack, SuperMicro (and possibly Lenovo & ZTE) introduced extra monitoring chips onto motherboards during manufacture – the devices looked like any other tiny component, and amongst the 1000s on the board, almost impossible to detect – you would need to identify and x-ray inspect every component to have a chance of finding out what was going on, especially as these are multilayer boards (typically up to 10) and the feature size (smallest distance between traces) is about 4 mil (about 0.1 mm). Many components are BGAs, which basically means all their connections are under the chip on microscopic pads, so something that *looks* like a passive device, e.g. an “0402 size” resistor (0.4 x 0.2 mm), and which should have two obvious connections at each end, may secretly have BGA connections underneath.

All very cunning.

All the companies involved (including AWS) have denied anything happened, but there are many corroborating sources from within the NSA & security industry.

It’s a great (and enlightening) read – don’t TL;DR this one!

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/features ... -companies
Vivitur ingenio, caetera mortis erunt
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

#9818 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by IslandPink »

Hmmm.. our American owners though it necessary to replace all our Dell PCs with Lenovo ones about 3 / 4 years ago.
"Once you find out ... the Circumstances ; then you can go out"
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

#9819 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by Mike H »

Yeah think this was the radio couple of days ago.

Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

#9820 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by Mike H »

Just bought this -
-
APS 3005D-3.jpg
-
Why? Do I really need any more PSU's - as it is I could put what I've got on the floor and make PSU angels - no maybe not...

We-eell, it does 5 Amps! Image

Aaa-nd, only 40 quid.

Still don't think I'd have more than DTB tho :D

shane
Social outcast

#9821 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by shane »

Just for the steam lovers, Flying Scotsman coming up Hemerdon Bank this morning (with a little help from behind)

Apologies for crap cinematography.

The world looks so different after learning science. For example, trees are made of air, primarily. When they are burned, they go back to air, and in their flaming heat is released the flaming heat of the Sun which was bound in to convert air into tree.
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#9822 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by pre65 »

Nice one Shane, just love that 3 cylinder exhaust beat. :D

The diesel up the rear (ooh err) might have been providing electric heating for the passengers rather than pushing.
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

G-Popz THE easy listening connoisseur. (Philip)
shane
Social outcast

#9823 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by shane »

Given that Hemerdon Bank is 2.5 miles at 1in42, I’m pretty sure it was helping. Strangely, Flying Scotsman’s spent the whole weekend touring Devon and Cornwall in company with Olton Hall (aka Hogwarts Express) for the big hills, but not today, it would seem.

Just by way of comparison here’s a 125 making it look easy about 10 minutes before:

The world looks so different after learning science. For example, trees are made of air, primarily. When they are burned, they go back to air, and in their flaming heat is released the flaming heat of the Sun which was bound in to convert air into tree.
shane
Social outcast

#9824 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by shane »

Now here’s a thing. It seems that you can be within a few feet of a steam locomotive going at full chat and be completely unaware of it.

Since the bridge I was standing on was pretty crowded, I thought I’d have a look at some of the other footage on YouTube. Send that as well as the diesel on the back, Scotsman was also double-headed by a black five. Completely obscured from my viewpoint by the Scotsman’s exhaust, but if you listen as they go under the bridge you can here the six cylinder beat replaced by a four.
Bizarre!

This was taken by someone at the opposite end of the bridge.

What I was hoping to find on YouTube was footage from a very sophisticated-looking drone that was flying around controlled by a bloke in the field to the left of the track halfway down the hill.
Baggy Trousers
User

#9825 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by Baggy Trousers »

Waited for 40 minutes on bridge at Burlescombe. Heard the Scotsman coming but just before the train hove into sight, a bloody great 8-wheeler stalled on the bridge and completely obscured what would have been a cracking view. Lots of smoke and wonderful odour of steam cylinder black redolent of childhood but saw absolutely nothing. Bah!

Little did I think when I travelled behind the Scotsman to Leeds in 1961 that it would be nearly 60 years before I would see the loco again, and then it was invisible! Life can be cruel. :x

I think the purpose of the diesel thingy bringing up the rear was to haul the train back from Brizzle to Exeter/Plymouth whilst the Black Five and the Scotsman continued their tour. The quantity of diesel emissions almost equalled those of the steamers and was disgusting in comparison. Needed a smaller main jet, methinks.
Last of the late brakers.