Nothing In Particular

Subjects that don't have their own home
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

#9361 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by Mike H »

ed wrote: Fri Mar 02, 2018 1:48 pm Why don't they run these condensing pipes inside, to avoid freezing?
I got an email from Homeserve & British Gas about how to do it yourself. "We're too busy to come out on emergency calls" :shock:

"No matter how fast light travels it finds that the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it."
andrew Ivimey
Social Sevices have been notified

#9362 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by andrew Ivimey »

The NME is to disappear! Can this be true???

I read a copy of Private Eye yesterday - a long and engaging read. They don't spare anyone the lashes. Oxfam, Boris and Gove got several pastings.
Philosophers have only interpreted the world - the point, however, is to change it. No it isn't ... maybe we should leave it alone for a while.
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#9363 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by pre65 »

andrew Ivimey wrote: Thu Mar 08, 2018 8:53 am The NME is to disappear! Can this be true???

I read a copy of Private Eye yesterday - a long and engaging read. They don't spare anyone the lashes. Oxfam, Boris and Gove got several pastings.

Gove ? What a slimeball. :twisted:

I do like Ian Hislop, but must admit I've never read Private Eye.
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

G-Popz THE easy listening connoisseur. (Philip)
lindsayt
User

#9364 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by lindsayt »

I've just been reading page 100 of the August 2005 edition of Hi Fi World magazine.

It contains a letter from Nick Gorham, where he raises a few points about a Clearaudio vinyl front-end vs Metronome CD player article from the June edition.
NK and DP respond with somewhat defensive replies.
Nick
Site Admin

#9365 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by Nick »

I wonder what I said.
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
jack
Thermionic Monk Status

#9366 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by jack »

This info affects all clocks in Europe that derive their timebase from the 50 Hz AC frequency.

This is really bad stuff - clocks are out by nearly 6 minutes!

People have been noticing delays in mains-synchronised clocks around Europe - microwave & conventional oven clocks, bedside clocks etc.

Initially folk suspected an extra load on the grid caused by the extreme cold weather Europe experienced in week 9, but after a little investigation this turned up...

https://www.entsoe.eu/news-events/annou ... ystem.aspx

(and the links in the FAQ at the bottom)
Vivitur ingenio, caetera mortis erunt
Nick
Site Admin

#9367 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by Nick »

Lot to be said for HVDC connections between generating areas.
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
jack
Thermionic Monk Status

#9368 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by jack »

Nick wrote: Thu Mar 08, 2018 10:44 am Lot to be said for HVDC connections between generating areas.
We have a bunch of HVDC between the National Grid and those perfidious Frenchies...

It even has a French name, Interconnexion France Angleterre

Yet if you look and check the list of member TSOs of ENTSO-E, the National Grid is one of them.

So, even though we talk DC to them, they've conned us into running our AC at a sub-standard frequency!

Typical Brussel's cunning trickery to make being late seem like the norm...

BTW. Ian Hislop used to live in the next village to us (Sissinghurst) and he used to wander around in the local market town, Cranbrook. Nice bloke - always happy to pass the time of day over a pint. Also heard him speak to the gels at the school SWMBO used to teach at - he ad-libbed for over an hour and was great fun.
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

#9369 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by Mike H »

andrew Ivimey wrote: Thu Mar 08, 2018 8:53 am The NME is to disappear! Can this be true???
Will stop being printed on paper, but continue as online only.

"No matter how fast light travels it finds that the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it."
ed
retired

#9370 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by ed »

scary stuff about the grid...

I was clued up a while ago when I was playing with radio clocks that derive a signal from what used to be the old rugby transmitter....since firgotten most of it but here's a look see:

http://www.gridwatch.templar.co.uk/
and
http://gridwatch.co.uk/
and
http://gridwatch.co.uk/frequency

I seem to remember from the last visit to electric mountain that the guide explained the NG monitors the phase to determine when to bring in extra supply, i.e when the frequency dips below 50 they turn on extra power stations to bring it back inline. How on earth do they balance it all if it's gone to cock with some foriegn infiltration.....
There's nowhere you can be that isn't where you're meant to be
Michael L
Old Hand

#9371 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by Michael L »

Nick wrote: Thu Mar 08, 2018 10:44 am Lot to be said for HVDC connections between generating areas.
Why do we use dc inter-connectors? Is it purely for frequency isolation? I wonder how we convert back and forth when drawing/providing power.
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#9372 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by pre65 »

I had an Indian chap ring me a while ago regarding the Government helping me buy a new boiler.

He asked me some questions,

Q1 What fuel does your boiler use
A1 It's nuclear powered.

Q2 Who installed the boiler
A2 King Henry the 8th

At this point he started laughing and said he'd try me again some other time. :lol:

Call number added to my blacklist. :)
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

G-Popz THE easy listening connoisseur. (Philip)
jack
Thermionic Monk Status

#9373 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by jack »

Michael L wrote: Thu Mar 08, 2018 1:58 pm
Why do we use dc inter-connectors? Is it purely for frequency isolation? I wonder how we convert back and forth when drawing/providing power.
Basically, using HVDC gives about half the power loss of the equivalent length of an HVAC connector: See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High-volt ... ct_current

All to do with corona effect or summit... also allows interconnection of unsynchronised AC networks.
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

#9374 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by IslandPink »

Last two times I bought that rag I threw it in the bin after half an hour. Couldn't put up with the weird political slant they had to put on every review.
They had a '500 best albums of all time' special where they had Beatles 'Revolver' at No.2 and 'Sergeant pepper's ..' at No.150 - because they said it was 'dated' . Couldn't make head or tail of that.
andrew Ivimey wrote: Thu Mar 08, 2018 8:53 am I read a copy of Private Eye yesterday - a long and engaging read. They don't spare anyone the lashes. Oxfam, Boris and Gove got several pastings.
Now you're talking ( although not as good as the heyday with Richard Ingrams ) , must buy a copy next time I see it. There's almost no limit to the number of pastings BJ deserves.
"Once you find out ... the Circumstances ; then you can go out"
Michael L
Old Hand

#9375 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by Michael L »

I often find Private Eye’s apparently genuine Funny Old World items hilarious. Love HIGNFY too.