Nothing In Particular

Subjects that don't have their own home
Baggy Trousers
User

#9256 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by Baggy Trousers »

andrew Ivimey wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2018 3:09 am Aha! Was Newman street off Charing Cross Road and behind the Odeon on Leicester Square. There were a couple of junky esurplus electronics shops and Chinese restaurants in my day. At the Wardour St end in the 1980s there was a really good,steamy Vietnamese restaurant where the waitress was notoriously bad tempered.
Spot on, Doc.

In my day there were quite a few of those new/used/war surplus electronic places in Newman Street, although it did not compare with Portland Street or Tottenham Court Road. I well remember haggling with a singularly miserable fellow when selling my kit to fund a motorbike tour of the Continent - five countries in 6 weeks with girlfriend on a G3L Matchless. This was in 1962 and for his £20 the miserly git took my TrioTrak turntable (like an early B&O), the big Pamphonic, a Jason (transistor!) tuner and a couple of Axiettes in good cabinets. These were the proper Axiettes - not the spaceship thingies Goodmans produced later.

And ed Have some good and some not-so-good memories of Gower Street. Did my degree there. But London has changed un-recognisably in the 50 years since I lived there. Sadly, DoctorJohnson's maxim applies no more. :cry:
Last of the late brakers.
simon
Thermionic Monk Status

#9257 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by simon »

A bit of inspiration for you ant...

http://www.itishifi.com/2018/02/giant-w ... h.html?m=1
shane
Social outcast

#9258 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by shane »

I can’t help feeling that moving to Devon in 1963 May have been an unwise move.
The world looks so different after learning science. For example, trees are made of air, primarily. When they are burned, they go back to air, and in their flaming heat is released the flaming heat of the Sun which was bound in to convert air into tree.
Ant
Shed dweller

#9259 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by Ant »

Went in a record shop in Leeds today, they were playing some squeaky jazz on a system consisting of a thorens td124 with linn basik lvx and at91, naim nait 2 and spendor bc1s.
It was spectacularly screechy.
Didnt buy anything as nothing was in any sort of order so finding anything would have taken an age
Also starring Rex Hamilton as Abraham Lincoln

www.bte-designs.weebly.com
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

#9260 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by IslandPink »

Shame !
If the records aren't sorted it's just a lock-up !
Anyone notice any earthquakes today ?
I think I was either driving or walking around Ruthin when it happened, didn't notice anything.
"Once you find out ... the Circumstances ; then you can go out"
Dave the bass
Amstrad Tower of Power

#9261 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by Dave the bass »

IslandPink wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2018 6:09 pm Anyone notice any earthquakes today ?
Ah! Sorry about that, I think that might have been the after shock from the severe pounding my legs gave the earth yesterday during the Phicksey ride :)
"The fat bourgeois and his doppelganger"
Michael L
Old Hand

#9262 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by Michael L »

I usually have a 15 mins shut eye in the afternoon and I was woken by a gentle shaking. I am around 100miles away. It wasn't a dream - 'er indoors felt it too.

Is there anyway I can order a batch of transistors with more likelihood of getting the hFE range I need.
I received BC327 with a useful spread mostly in the high 400s but the BC337s were mostly in the 300s.
They are for a Paradise Phono amp and I need close matching. Might I stand a better chance with a particular manufacturer? These were all Diotec with the NPNs being on ammo tape.
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

#9263 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by IslandPink »

Yentob documentary this evening ( 10pm BBC2 ) about Mel Brooks. Could be a keeper.
Then 'Young Frankenstein' - superb !
andrew Ivimey
Social Sevices have been notified

#9264 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by andrew Ivimey »

Frankensteeeen!
Philosophers have only interpreted the world - the point, however, is to change it. No it isn't ... maybe we should leave it alone for a while.
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

#9265 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by IslandPink »

Pardon me boy - is this the Transylvania station ?
Ya ! - track 29
Oh - can I give you a shine ?
Err... no thanks.
andrew Ivimey

#9266 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by andrew Ivimey »

Where wolves? !!
Philosophers have only interpreted the world - the point, however, is to change it. No it isn't ... maybe we should leave it alone for a while.
ed
retired

#9267 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by ed »

andrew Ivimey wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2018 10:24 am Where wolves? !!
better late than never
There's nowhere you can be that isn't where you're meant to be
andrew Ivimey

#9268 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by andrew Ivimey »

Fraud Bucher!! A perfect film 1974 Abby Normal....
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

#9269 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by Mike H »

Michael L wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2018 7:45 pm Is there anyway I can order a batch of transistors with more likelihood of getting the hFE range I need.
I received BC327 with a useful spread mostly in the high 400s but the BC337s were mostly in the 300s.
They are for a Paradise Phono amp and I need close matching. Might I stand a better chance with a particular manufacturer? These were all Diotec with the NPNs being on ammo tape.
Datasheets both say 100 - 630, so on that basis they're all good. Apart from getting the seller to match them before posting, I don't know. Doubt there's any of them these days knows how even. Image

"No matter how fast light travels it finds that the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it."
Nick
Site Admin

#9270 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by Nick »

They know how, but you might wilt at the price for the service. Most designs if they need matched pairs or quads will use arrays like the THAT300B, but that phono needs needs matched PNP and NPN, however other than the OCD that it seems to bring out in people, I dont know exactly how matched it needs to be and what are the results of not matching. The circuit has 33R emitter resistors so they should prevent current hogging.
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.