Nothing In Particular

Subjects that don't have their own home
Neal
Shed dweller

#9076 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by Neal »

Yup, 3B. Integrated WiFi works well as does Bluetooth...
Only the Sith deal in absolutes.
jack
Thermionic Monk Status

#9077 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by jack »

Interesting. I use 2Bs with WiPi and 3Bs with integrated WiFi for my max2play clients with IQaudIO hats. The 3Bs are great as they make for a very compact and cheap LMS client. Got 5 in the house now...

Not used the BLE yet...

Put in a Pi-Hole over Xmas on an old 2B - works well...
Vivitur ingenio, caetera mortis erunt
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

#9078 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by IslandPink »

My 80 year-old mum has just fallen and broken her arm in the house. Going to go over soon, awaiting news of ambulance arriving etc, the next few weeks are going to be very tricky, she was semi-disabled anyway. Oh waily waily as Ed would say. Any tips gratefully received.
"Once you find out ... the Circumstances ; then you can go out"
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#9079 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by pre65 »

I can really empathise with you Mark. :(

My Mum is 90 now, and prone to falling over, but so far has managed to avoid any broken bones. Also her eyesight is poor unless the lighting is very bright.

Who would want to get really old ? :cry:
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

G-Popz THE easy listening connoisseur. (Philip)
Dave the bass
Amstrad Tower of Power

#9080 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by Dave the bass »

IslandPink wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2018 8:16 pm Any tips gratefully received.
Sorry to hear that Mark. Tips, be patient with her, don't get upset. Contact Social Services for advice and help, Age UK too helped when we were in a similar situation with JTS's Mum at this time last year.

Is your Mum local to you? Any Brothers/Sisters to help lend a hand?
"The fat bourgeois and his doppelganger"
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

#9081 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by IslandPink »

Thanks Dave. I'm an hour away, sister is 1 1/2 hours away. Just getting my kit together to see her this evening. I think my sister can come over late tomorrow and Monday. Bad luck seems to be the name of the game at the moment, after my aunt's funeral last week. Just hope I can keep it together, not fully healthy myself after last year's scare.
antonio66
User

#9082 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by antonio66 »

Here's hoping your Mum will be ok. Daves tips look good to me.
Ray P
No idea why I do this anymore

#9083 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by Ray P »

Very best wishes to your mum Mark and try to look after yourself.

Mr Bass appears to have a Mr. Sensible head too :lol: - seems like good advice.
Sorry, I couldn't resist!
jack
Thermionic Monk Status

#9084 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by jack »

When my mother was getting to that stage I was amazed at was was on offer in terms of support services.

One other point, perhaps not a happy one, but very important...

Has someone got lasting power of attorney for both health/welfare & property/finance?

Need to have these sorted BEFORE real trouble strikes, i.e. inability to make their own decisions - it can save a huge amount of time & trouble (and heartache) - I did this for my in-laws and whilst there is a fair bit of paperwork, it simplified a whole bunch of stuff later on.
Vivitur ingenio, caetera mortis erunt
Cressy Snr
Amstrad Tower of Power

#9085 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by Cressy Snr »

Agree 100% with Nick above.
A solicitor did the LPA for us. Best £120 we ever spent.
12 months after the LPA was granted, mum didn't know what planet she was on, but we were able to manage all her affairs on her behalf.
Sgt. Baker started talkin’ with a Bullhorn in his hand.
Neal
Shed dweller

#9086 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by Neal »

Seconded, we did it for my Mum. Saves a lot of hassle later on.
Only the Sith deal in absolutes.
andrew Ivimey
Social Sevices have been notified

#9087 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by andrew Ivimey »

It's best to just get on and be rational about these matters. Here's a thing though. I had LPA for my mum but true to her manner she got ill and died within four days so I had no chance to clear out her Post Office Savings Account.

OTOH, Anna and I have just finished doing our LPAs -its all on line and quite easy, and now we're doing our Wills - just to get it all down so we can forget about it all.

Further, I was my mum's Executor and probate was a doddle despite the bollocks probate sellers and solicitors try to persuade you - as a business Probate makes millions!

It was Capital Gains Tax that tried my patience...so I phoned up HMRC for whom I have nothing but high regard - so helpful and friendly. How we laughed at my horror and misunderstandings. Again, it was quite easy and painless but it all has to be done.

Back to beloved parent who is becoming infirm.... you have my sympathy Mark. For your own sake if there is anything you need to say, say it while you can. You can't say it later so have to carry it till it's your turn to shuffle off this mortal coil. Love and patience are needed in buckets full, particularly when you least feel able to give it - my uncle never got used to dealing with his bowelectomy bag and helping him out of his soiled clothes, washing him down and attaching a new bag etc etc is an experience I'd never considered and yet our parents did similar things to us. Deep breath...onwards.

Old folk like treats - they like to get out! I've driven thousands of miles with infirm senior citizens over the last 15 or so years. A time to talk / listen, reflect, a breath if fresh air and I've been very gratified by so many members of the public who help e.g. me, my dad and his four wheeled Zimmer frame thing as we insist on a posh meal out or a hot chocolate in Costa.

Our parents (and other old folk whether dear friends and/ or parents of our significant others) still have much from which we can learn about Life.
Philosophers have only interpreted the world - the point, however, is to change it. No it isn't ... maybe we should leave it alone for a while.
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

#9088 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by Mike H »

Sorry about that Mark. Only read about this now today. :(

^ What the others said. Presume she lives alone and as she's now 80 and with a broken arm I would think can also get social services involved. The hospital etc. should be able to sort something out.
Last edited by Mike H on Sun Jan 14, 2018 12:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

"No matter how fast light travels it finds that the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it."
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

#9089 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by IslandPink »

Thanks all for advice. Will be talking to hospital in more detail about help. She has dislocated and broken her shoulder, operation required, thankfully this afternoon. It was a late night, left A&E about 2am. My sister's coming over this afternoon.
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

#9090 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by Mike H »

Yep it's always the wee small hours and it's always on a weekend, sod's law. :(

Last time my mum was taken in (from the nursing home) finally got away about 3 am after (eventually) she'd been moved out of A&E to a ward.

"No matter how fast light travels it finds that the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it."