Nothing In Particular

Subjects that don't have their own home
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

#8701 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by Mike H »

Oh it's a BULLET, fairy nuff. :thumbleft:

"No matter how fast light travels it finds that the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it."
jack
Thermionic Monk Status

#8702 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by jack »

On a more serious note...

Many years ago, in a drunken haze, my brother and I came up with a scheme to determine the maximum speed any car had been doing on a stretch of road.

The idea was to create an ISO or BSI standard for a unit fruit fly, i.e. a fly of pre-determined mass/diameter etc. but with an internal flourorescing dye (gene editing).

These would then be released upwind of the motorway (from the verge) and random cars stopped some miles later. By examining car with an UV light and measuring the diameter of the largest splodges, then comparing the results with standardised metrics from the National Physics Laboratory (NPL), you could determine the maximum speed of the vehicle.

NPL would have to do a lot of testing in varying conditions and different types of vehicle. But it *could* work. Maybe.
Vivitur ingenio, caetera mortis erunt
shane
Social outcast

#8703 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by shane »

You need to get out more.
The world looks so different after learning science. For example, trees are made of air, primarily. When they are burned, they go back to air, and in their flaming heat is released the flaming heat of the Sun which was bound in to convert air into tree.
steve s
Shed dweller

#8704 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by steve s »

I like the way you started ' on a more serious note' ......

jack wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2017 6:46 am On a more serious note...

Many years ago, in a drunken haze, my brother and I came up with a scheme to determine the maximum speed any car had been doing on a stretch of road.

The idea was to create an ISO or BSI standard for a unit fruit fly, i.e. a fly of pre-determined mass/diameter etc. but with an internal flourorescing dye (gene editing).

These would then be released upwind of the motorway (from the verge) and random cars stopped some miles later. By examining car with an UV light and measuring the diameter of the largest splodges, then comparing the results with standardised metrics from the National Physics Laboratory (NPL), you could determine the maximum speed of the vehicle.

NPL would have to do a lot of testing in varying conditions and different types of vehicle. But it *could* work. Maybe.
The tube manual is quite like a telephone book. The number of it perfect. It is useful to make it possible to speak with a girl. But we can't see her beautiful face from the telephone number
ed
retired

#8705 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by ed »

it might be fair to say 'he was deadly serious'

swidt
There's nowhere you can be that isn't where you're meant to be
Dave the bass
Amstrad Tower of Power

#8706 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by Dave the bass »

"Master master
This is recorded through a flies ear
And you have to have a fly's eye to see it
"
"The fat bourgeois and his doppelganger"
shane
Social outcast

#8707 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by shane »

Sitting in attendance on no. 1 grandson who is a) 3 weeks old and b) fast asleep. I’ve been told not to move or make a sound on pain of death, so I’m rambling through my phone. For some reason the old Rover 16 I used to drive came to mind. One thing lead to another and I found these treasures:

The world looks so different after learning science. For example, trees are made of air, primarily. When they are burned, they go back to air, and in their flaming heat is released the flaming heat of the Sun which was bound in to convert air into tree.
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#8708 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by pre65 »

Nice one Shane.

Being a long time Rover fan I appreciated those films. :D
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

G-Popz THE easy listening connoisseur. (Philip)
Ray P
No idea why I do this anymore

#8709 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by Ray P »

Having now turned 60 I starting to reap the return on all those years of paying taxes and in the last few days I've picked up a free prescription and
arranged a senior railcard to get 30% of most train journeys. I think I need to get my eyes checked next.

Ray
Sorry, I couldn't resist!
ed
retired

#8710 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by ed »

I surprised myself, I started reading this intending to be finished at the end of paragraph one, but ended up reading to the end. It's a bit historic itself being 4 years old to date.

https://andreweverard.com/2013/10/01/is ... nthusiasm/

A thought struck me...hifi/audio will likely become a degree module, probably in the history department. It also surprised me that he didn't dwell on the chasm between those that listen to music and those that listen to equipment, which must account/address for a percentage of high end purchasers. Although to be fair he did touch on it....

anyway, reading it did while away a thoughtful 15 minutes.
There's nowhere you can be that isn't where you're meant to be
The Stratmangler
Shed dweller

#8711 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by The Stratmangler »

shane wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2017 5:37 pmSitting in attendance on no. 1 grandson who is a) 3 weeks old and b) fast asleep. I’ve been told not to move or make a sound on pain of death....
Don't get sucked into playing that game - you're making a rod for your own back!
You should keep noise levels to normal, and your grandson will become accustomed to it.
Chris :happy3:
Neal
Shed dweller

#8712 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by Neal »

yup, don't get dragged into that. It will come back to bite you later. We used to vacuum around our daughter when she was asleep!
Only the Sith deal in absolutes.
shane
Social outcast

#8713 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by shane »

Said grandson’s other grandmother is a maternity health visitor and once told a young couple that in order to get their baby used to loud noises, they should clap loudly every now and then. Returning a week later she found a totally sleep-deprived family. The baby because every time it tried to go sleep his over enthusiastic parents had woken it with violent clapping, and the parents because the baby was so knackered from lack of sleep it was yelling it’s head off. When she said she actually meant to do this every couple of days rather than every ten minutes or so, they nearly cried with relief.

Any child who lives with my son will get used to loud noises soon enough.
jack
Thermionic Monk Status

#8714 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by jack »

Some not very good news (for me)... Over the years I've had several operations on my left eye for retinal damage largely caused by rugby and judo - in total, over 2,400 zaps of a 250 to 330mW laser...

Just had my annual checkup (there's a full offshoot of Moorfields here) and my right eye is showing the same symptoms...

They wanted to operate there and then, but my wife is coming out here tomorrow, so they agreed that I could go in Thursday at the latest... They'll try and spot-weld/stitch it back down - another 500 zaps. If that doesn't work we're into more radical and even more unpleasant options...

Not a happy bunny...
Vivitur ingenio, caetera mortis erunt
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

#8715 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by IslandPink »

Ooh that's not what you needed. Can it still be a legacy of the rugby/judo, how long is it since you were active in those ?
"Once you find out ... the Circumstances ; then you can go out"