Nothing In Particular

Subjects that don't have their own home
jack
Thermionic Monk Status

#8476 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by jack »

Mike H wrote: Mon Sep 04, 2017 5:49 pmI'm trying to resist getting a smart meter for as long as possible.
Smart meters: 'Dog's breakfast' that'll only save you 'a tenner'
Vivitur ingenio, caetera mortis erunt
jack
Thermionic Monk Status

#8477 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by jack »

Guys,

Just a useful site – there are sites that tell you if your email address has ever been in a breach, but not what password was compromised… so you can’t check if a password string is safe or not…

https://haveibeenpwned.com/Passwords is an interesting site – the guy (who is a well known and respected researcher), has built a huge reverse index of cracked passwords – type in a password you use and it’ll tell you if it’s ever turned up in a known hack list. Of couse, that’s not proof that it IS safe, just that it’s not in a known list.

The data is anonomised, i.e. it won;t tell you what email addresses/usernames are associated with a given password :)

https://www.troyhunt.com/introducing-30 ... asswords/
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

#8478 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by Mike H »

Dave the bass wrote: Mon Sep 04, 2017 8:35 pm Filmed in 'Gommit-Vision'! :)
Oh yes.

Dave the bass wrote: Mon Sep 04, 2017 9:27 pm
shane wrote: Mon Sep 04, 2017 8:51 pm Looks like you might need some sort of anti-vibration mount.
....and the camera too maybe? Arf!
Not ideal is it. Might have to invest in a go pro or somesuch if I want to do this often. Thing is there's so much vibration not just the engine but the suspension is hard and most of these roads are very rough. Notice YouTube has tried to stabilise the picture so the sidecar appears to be bouncing up and down. It isn't in the original of course.

"No matter how fast light travels it finds that the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it."
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#8479 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by pre65 »

We had a day out today, we had lunch in that most delightful of places, Hebden Bridge. After lunch I wandered down to the railway station while Jean and her mum looked round the shops.

We came home via Oxenholme where we stopped to look at a steam train in the station.(Keighley and Worth valley preserved railway)
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

G-Popz THE easy listening connoisseur. (Philip)
ed
retired

#8480 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by ed »

somebody was looking for the Merlin Blencowe pre amp book a couple of weeks ago...I think I remember????

if I remembered correctly then it is available here:

https://www.bookdepository.com/Designin ... ms_b_p2p_1

I found it searching for a 2nd hand copy of the Doug Self audio power amp book.....don't suppose anybody's got an old edition they don't want???????? for a resonable price....I have the pdf version but I'm loathe to fork out the hooge amount for a new copy.
There's nowhere you can be that isn't where you're meant to be
jack
Thermionic Monk Status

#8481 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by jack »

ed wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2017 2:29 pm somebody was looking for the Merlin Blencowe pre amp book a couple of weeks ago...I think I remember???
Probably me, but it was the power supply design one :)
Michael L
Old Hand

#8482 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by Michael L »

My lad, Christy is hoping to open a record shop/cafe/art space in Birmingham. He is trying to raise some cash on Kickstarter to add to his investment. Very early days. I'm wondering how I may best help him spread the word.

Cressy Snr
Amstrad Tower of Power

#8483 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by Cressy Snr »

Walking dog this morning and he stops to do his business. I get poo bag out ready to clean up after him.
Bloke walks out of his house to pick up green recycling box from outside his gate. I'm six feet further down the street picking up and bagging the dog poo.

Bloke: What you doing letting him have a shit there.

Me: Sorry?

Bloke: Cant you take him somewhere else to have a shit?

Me: I can't control where he wants to do his business and I'm a responsible owner who cleans up after his dog, so what's your problem?

Bloke: If you're going to own a dog you should be capable of taking him on the field for a shit, you're picking it up but it's still there isn't it. There's always a tiny bit left behind isn't there. If you took him on the field then it wouldn't be there would it? You shouldn't be walking a dog round the streets.

Me: Course it would, you can't possibly remove every microscopic bit. I'm a responsible dog owner and you are starting to get on my wick. I don't know what else you expect me to do short of carrying a mop, bucket and Dettol with me.

Bloke: Take him on the field for a shit in future!

Me: I'm not listening to this bullshit anymore, don't bloody talk to me like that! I've cleaned up after my dog. I look after him properly and don't leave crap in the streets. I'm doing nothing wrong, I'm acting responsibly.
Now why don't you just piss off back into your house and get a life you knob!

exit with dog and bag of poo

Is it me, or are we surrounded by idiots :x

Why didn't I just refuse to engage, politely raise my hat, bid him good day and carry on my walk, leaving him just standing there. I wouldn't be sat here seething then.

Blasted INFP personality type (Myers Briggs) look up "hates any kind of injustice" has a lot to answer for in my case.
Need to go and do some mindfulness, stop running mental movies, put on some Delius and get present again.
Sgt. Baker started talkin’ with a Bullhorn in his hand.
ed
retired

#8484 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by ed »

cursinfrassenhissencursenclaudehopper! fetch ma gun maw!

is there a way to take the MBTI test for free or do you have to fork out the £50?

I'm intrigued because in the last couple of years my approach to confrontation seems to have changed or is changing. For 30 odd years I always tried to put myself in somebody elses shoes before responding to a question or situation. Now I just seem to react more quickly usually with less thought. I'm sure personalities change or adapt. If they do change or adapt then to be on top of the game wouldn't one have to take the MBTI test on a regular basis.....

see, the cynic has arrived before the end of the thought process.....the MBTI people might be onto a money spinner here.
Cressy Snr
Amstrad Tower of Power

#8485 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by Cressy Snr »

The "real" one is not free, but this is the one I do.

http://www.humanmetrics.com/cgi-win/jtypes2.asp
Cressy Snr
Amstrad Tower of Power

#8486 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by Cressy Snr »

And this (INFP) is me to a tee. Spookily accurate on every count.

http://www.humanmetrics.com/personality/infp
Last edited by Cressy Snr on Wed Sep 13, 2017 1:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ant
Shed dweller

#8487 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by Ant »

Generally I just tell people like that to fuck off.....

Odd thing is, that when I was working in a call centre i could resolve issues with someone who was extremely angry, annoyed, emotional, or even who was just a dick. Outside work I wont give someone who is simply a prat the time of day, they just get told to go insert something somewhere.
Also starring Rex Hamilton as Abraham Lincoln

www.bte-designs.weebly.com
ed
retired

#8488 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by ed »

INTJ

edit: it really is spooky, although I had to rationalise some answers because I thought the same question had been asked earlier in a different way.....

however the type description does seem spookily accurate, as you say.

more diet: I thought the INTJ looked familiar....it's usually the first data declaration anybody makes in a fortran program circa 1970, not many people know that, or will remember :D
Last edited by ed on Wed Sep 13, 2017 2:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Michael L
Old Hand

#8489 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by Michael L »

I find these encounters more difficult on public transport. It's usually people - often young, who don't behave as I was told to as a child. Individuals speaking very loudly on mobiles or groups swearing.
Of course most people don't want to risk a confrontation for various reasons.
Nick
Site Admin

#8490 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by Nick »

ed wrote: Wed Sep 13, 2017 1:55 pm more diet: I thought the INTJ looked familiar....it's usually the first data declaration anybody makes in a fortran program circa 1970, not many people know that, or will remember :D
Many years it has been. I thought i,j and k were automatically integer types?
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.