Nothing In Particular

Subjects that don't have their own home
cressy
Shed dweller

#8146 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by cressy »

Oh yes.
Creep was the perfect song at the perfect time for me, as a spotty gawky 14 year old kid in 1997. Nobody fits in when they are 14. One of those songs that just fits. Ok computer, placebos debut album, foo fighters the colour and the shape were my teenage music.
This years headliners of radiohead and foo fighters is almost my perfect lineup. If placebo were playing, it would be the best glasto ever. For me anyway......
Ali Tait
Eternally single

#8147 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by Ali Tait »

Every Glasto is the best Glasto ever. Except the first.. :D
Colin Wonfor
User

#8148 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by Colin Wonfor »

Dr Bunsen Honeydew wrote: Fri Jun 23, 2017 11:23 am DQ - 68 :| I just turned 70 3 weeks ago. :bounce:

Everyone is right (I must be in a good mood today) the benefits of the bigger amps is not power, that is ancillary. Anyway watts beyond a certain level means bugger all and over another certain level is dangerous in domestic systems. I put the domestic system power band width at 20 to 80w. BUT of course as you know tiny power can work, it is just more faff to get the speakers to work. My point is it is not voltage that drives a coil based speaker it is current, one of the few things Naim were right about.

Talking of Naim, for over 20 years we had a brainwashed controlled industry, that most people refer to now as the flat earth period (dying now thank god). I have a theory ( :roll: yes another one) that the brainwash so effected people that it became common knowledge (lack of) that no transistor amp could out perform musically a Naim amp. So when people finally decided they couldn't stand the in yer face domestic PA system that was the flat earth it was natural to look at valves as the alternative. This caused (both Naim and valves) the demise of many a good British transistor amplifiers companies, most are gone some still around. Colin Wonfor through trial and tribulation has survived as have a few others.

Time to let go of prejudice and listen to things again, you may prefer what you have but at least you have opened the mind a bit.
Hi All, R.D. is right I am still here and the last week I have spent in Scotland and I have had great time met new friends and was spoilt rotten, thanks guys. Cheers Ali and M .
andrew Ivimey
Social Sevices have been notified

#8149 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by andrew Ivimey »

Loook, ermmmm I know Im a bit out of things at the moment but is anyone taking notice of our Queen' s cheeky hat when she opened parliament?

I dont approve of HRH at all but I smiled quietly into my sangria a couple of days back. As I say..... cheeky!!!
Philosophers have only interpreted the world - the point, however, is to change it. No it isn't ... maybe we should leave it alone for a while.
ed
retired

#8150 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by ed »

yessum omib(maybe omis at the moment) you're right on the money. Isn't it trad to wear the gold with precious stones and stuff ...I was going to do a Golum speak thing there(wots it got etc etc) but realised it might not be in good taste for some folks.....

It started out funny but got lost in translation as this is my third attempt to post this....got a dodgy PS in a PC which keeps switching off when something goes near or touches the case...the humour is now evaporated....drop everything, attend to wayward computer....grrr waily waily waily.
There's nowhere you can be that isn't where you're meant to be
Ali Tait
Eternally single

#8151 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by Ali Tait »

Colin Wonfor wrote: Sat Jun 24, 2017 10:52 am
Dr Bunsen Honeydew wrote: Fri Jun 23, 2017 11:23 am DQ - 68 :| I just turned 70 3 weeks ago. :bounce:

Everyone is right (I must be in a good mood today) the benefits of the bigger amps is not power, that is ancillary. Anyway watts beyond a certain level means bugger all and over another certain level is dangerous in domestic systems. I put the domestic system power band width at 20 to 80w. BUT of course as you know tiny power can work, it is just more faff to get the speakers to work. My point is it is not voltage that drives a coil based speaker it is current, one of the few things Naim were right about.

Talking of Naim, for over 20 years we had a brainwashed controlled industry, that most people refer to now as the flat earth period (dying now thank god). I have a theory ( :roll: yes another one) that the brainwash so effected people that it became common knowledge (lack of) that no transistor amp could out perform musically a Naim amp. So when people finally decided they couldn't stand the in yer face domestic PA system that was the flat earth it was natural to look at valves as the alternative. This caused (both Naim and valves) the demise of many a good British transistor amplifiers companies, most are gone some still around. Colin Wonfor through trial and tribulation has survived as have a few others.

Time to let go of prejudice and listen to things again, you may prefer what you have but at least you have opened the mind a bit.
Hi All, R.D. is right I am still here and the last week I have spent in Scotland and I have had great time met new friends and was spoilt rotten, thanks guys. Cheers Ali and M .
You're welcome Colin, was good to meet your good lady and yourself.
cressy
Shed dweller

#8152 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by cressy »

Foo fighters. Note to every other headline act, that is how to headline glasto
karatestu
User

#8153 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by karatestu »

cressy wrote: Sun Jun 25, 2017 12:13 am Foo fighters. Note to every other headline act, that is how to headline glasto
Totally agree, absolutely awesome. I have seen them 3 times and would see them again. They did everlong acoustic one time which was the only disappointment.

Stu
:bigsmurf:
cressy
Shed dweller

#8154 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by cressy »

1 bloke with a guitar and a loop pedal gets God knows how many thousand people to sing back at him.
Michael L
Old Hand

#8155 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by Michael L »

andrew Ivimey wrote: Sat Jun 24, 2017 11:20 am Loook, ermmmm I know Im a bit out of things at the moment but is anyone taking notice of our Queen' s cheeky hat when she opened parliament?

I dont approve of HRH at all but I smiled quietly into my sangria a couple of days back. As I say..... cheeky!!!
I am a big fan of HRH and I was so pleased to see her not so subtle signal.
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#8156 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by pre65 »

I'm up in Yorkshire for a funeral of Jeans ex husbands Dad.

It's a cremation, not the crematorium behind Simons house but Elland near Halifax.

Should be home tonight.
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

G-Popz THE easy listening connoisseur. (Philip)
Nick
Site Admin

#8157 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by Nick »

but Elland near Halifax
You are getting very close to MCRU there :-)
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

#8158 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by Mike H »

Currently B&B'ing it near Ross on Wye after approx 170 mile trip, which included a bit of the Fosse Way (or rather more than a bit if you include the A46 north of Leicester), stopped at The Fish at Wixford for a cheese and pickle doorstop with fries and a Hobgoblin.

"No matter how fast light travels it finds that the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it."
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#8159 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by pre65 »

I couldn't eat a whole hobgoblin. :lol:

Coming back down the A1 tonight we were passed by an Audi TT convertable, with the registration number

R666DUN

I laughed. :)
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

G-Popz THE easy listening connoisseur. (Philip)
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

#8160 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by IslandPink »

:D
"Once you find out ... the Circumstances ; then you can go out"