ad hominem.

Subjects that don't have their own home
Nick
Site Admin

Post by Nick »

May be Colin, but if you could point to an example post, it would both show what you mean, and may also provoke someone who knows the answer to post :-).
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
Greg
Social outcast

Post by Greg »

Hi Colin,

Don't be down. I really don't think this is a major issue. I remember once commenting negatively on one of your posts on WD and when you explained your situation, I apologetically changed my approach to you completely.

I find all your posts really interesting and worthwhile and I've learnt alot from them. The recent WD thread on the Phono 2/3 stage cathode follower caps being a brilliant example. I very much appreciate the contribution you have made there.

Sometimes when a member posts a question, the reading members will recognise that although they can contribute, they know other members are far better qualified to help so they remain silent. If others don't pick up on this, questions can go unanswered. This happened to me recently so I just banged in a reminder message and got at least five helpful replies. This is just a feature of how we talk and the limitations of forums. There is no deliberate exclusion or cleak intention. I know everyone here who posts regularly is happy to help all.

I also know you are a valued member here and we all want to share with you as you progress, just as we do in the hobby.

Be cool mate........you are a respected member.

Regards,

Greg
colin.hepburn
Shed dweller

Post by colin.hepburn »

Greg wrote:Hi Colin,

Don't be down. I really don't think this is a major issue. I remember once commenting negatively on one of your posts on WD and when you explained your situation, I apologetically changed my approach to you completely.

I find all your posts really interesting and worthwhile and I've learnt alot from them. The recent WD thread on the Phono 2/3 stage cathode follower caps being a brilliant example. I very much appreciate the contribution you have made there.

Sometimes when a member posts a question, the reading members will recognise that although they can contribute, they know other members are far better qualified to help so they remain silent. If others don't pick up on this, questions can go unanswered. This happened to me recently so I just banged in a reminder message and got at least five helpful replies. This is just a feature of how we talk and the limitations of forums. There is no deliberate exclusion or cleak intention. I know everyone here who posts regularly is happy to help all.

I also know you are a valued member here and we all want to share with you as you progress, just as we do in the hobby.

Be cool mate........you are a respected member.

Regards,

Greg
Hi Greg
Ho yes I remember that thread over on WD turntable lid cleaning stuff wasn't it
Yes knowing what I want to say and then typing out the answer/question what ever can be a problem but I try to help and also appreciate the help I get from everyone here a good example of that was Steve the shadows thread on Thorens TD150 and the Road to Vinyl Bliss of which I basically hijacked over my sibilance problem I had with my TD160/rega 250 glad to say that's been resolved now with a custom rega remounted motor plinth still got to finish this but the rega plinth is just the working template for a better one maybe slate if I can get it may start a new thread on this later
Ho and yes I am still enjoying the Phono 2/3 stage cathode follower caps I had read about this years ago from an old copy of a Russ aborts as Philip would say catalogs regarding the oscon cap as a cathode cap so adding it to the phono was inspired by Richards post on WD but the idea for adding a 47uf instead of the 220uf oscon cap came from my 12AX7/12B4A headphone amp but the phono has now been upped to the 220uf thanks to Richard for sending me a set
Colin
The Blues man ImageImage
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

#19 Re: ad hominem.

Post by Mike H »

pre65 wrote:Could we enthuse about music if we did not take the performer into account ?
I could very easily.

And probably have often.

"No matter how fast light travels it finds that the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it."
Marco
User

Post by Marco »

The worst place is Art of Sound as the worst offenders are the owners and mods, so you end up with a dicatorship as they have the power to censor and remove posts, so they always end up right and with the final insult.
Jeez, is this where you've ended up after being banned from everywhere else?

Nick, why on earth are you allowing this bag of damaged goods to infect your community? :roll:

It'll only end in tears. He's only here because he's got nowhere else to go. The irony is he doesn't even like valves!

And can we please not allow the slagging off of other forums? I wouldn't permit anyone to do it on AoS, and nor would the admin on any other responsible site.

I really don't want us to return to the situation we had last year when bad blood was caused due to this type of behaviour. It'll certainly spoil the good vibe we had at Owston

Cheers!

Marco.
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by pre65 »

Hi Marco - sometimes there is a fine line between "slagging off" and "telling it how it really is" ! :wink:
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

G-Popz THE easy listening connoisseur. (Philip)
Marco
User

Post by Marco »

Well we'll just have to disagree then, Philip, in reference to 'how it really is' :wink:

Incidentally, I'm referring to Richard Dunn's comments not Colin's.

Marco.
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by pre65 »

Marco wrote:Well we'll just have to disagree then, Philip, in reference to 'how it really is' :wink:

Incidentally, I'm referring to Richard Dunn's comments not Colin's.

Marco.
Yes Marco - I was well aware of whom you were referring to !

A more cynical person might suggest you were "shit stirring". :wink: :wink:

Edmund Burke

Nick
Site Admin

Post by Nick »

Marco wrote:
The worst place is Art of Sound as the worst offenders are the owners and mods, so you end up with a dicatorship as they have the power to censor and remove posts, so they always end up right and with the final insult.
Jeez, is this where you've ended up after being banned from everywhere else?

Nick, why on earth are you allowing this bag of damaged goods to infect your community? :roll:

It'll only end in tears. He's only here because he's got nowhere else to go. The irony is he doesn't even like valves!

And can we please not allow the slagging off of other forums? I wouldn't permit anyone to do it on AoS, and nor would the admin on any other responsible site.

I really don't want us to return to the situation we had last year when bad blood was caused due to this type of behaviour. It'll certainly spoil the good vibe we had at Owston

Cheers!

Marco.
Well, he came, he posted, and then it went quiet, so I can't see what the problem is. I guess your inference is that this isn't a responsible site, which is ironic given that you don't allow slagging off.

I have no desire to fall out with anyone, AOS has its own robust membership that doesn't need to be protected from mere words, no one is harmed by one individual expressing his opinion, more harm is done by attempting to control behaviour by force instead of by example.

We had a good time at Owston, hopefully that will continue, can't see (and never could) any reason why that wont continue.

In the past there have been things written on AOS that were less than accurate or complementary about this forum, deleting them doesn't make any difference to me, they were said, removing them doesn't make anyone think that the person posting them still has the same view, what does help is leaving them in view and then providing discussion about the points and hopefully a conclusion that they were incorrect.

But we are all different, some are more concerned about image than others. Doesn't make either position correct.
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
Marco
User

Post by Marco »

Hi Nick,

I appreciate where you're coming from, but we'll just have to agree to disagree about what is considered appropriate behaviour on our respective forums.

I certainly don't want to fall out with you about it, especially over people like Richard Dunn 8)

Just one thing before I bow out of this discussion, you may wish to consider the irony (and also question the sincerity) of someone joining your community who has otherwise spent all of his available time on forums expressing his dislike of valve amps and SUTs - some of the very things in hi-fi people here are most passionate about, and ask the question why did he join?

What exactly are his motives??

The answer to that of course is he's got nowhere else to go but needs a platform to air his blinkered agendas and target whomever or whatever he dislikes. Examine his history elsewhere because as sure as 'eggs is eggs' it will soon be re-enacted here.

The man is a well-known serial troublemaker; damaged goods. Mark my words his nastiness will out in the end, so be under no illusions that he's here for any constructive purpose or to add something worthwhile to your forum.

I wish you the best of luck! See you at the next meeting :)

Marco.
Nick
Site Admin

Post by Nick »

Cool, back to real life :-)
Dave the bass
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Dave the bass »

Nick for Prime Minister :lol:

I like it when everyone gets on.

DTB
Last edited by Dave the bass on Wed Oct 07, 2009 3:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"The fat bourgeois and his doppelganger"
ed
retired

Post by ed »

Nick for Prime Minister
yeah!!

I'm glad he's in charge
There's nowhere you can be that isn't where you're meant to be
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by pre65 »

ed wrote:
Nick for Prime Minister
yeah!!

I'm glad he's in charge
Me too ! :lol:

Edmund Burke

Max N
Old Hand

Post by Max N »

Hear hear