Phono bake-off

Subjects that don't have their own home
mainscablesrus
Old Hand

#736 Re: Phono bake-off

Post by mainscablesrus »

Times are flexible, its the Huddersfield Food and Drink Festival next weekend. 100's of people drinking beer and eating food in St George's square which is why the train station is closed.

If we say start at 11.00 then anyone who turns up later can just join in.

Anyone who wants product picking up who is not intending coming can PM me and I will get it collected by DPD as long as you have packed it up well.
You can't change how people treat you or what they say about you. All you can do is change how you react to it.
Mohandas Karamchand Gandhi
lindsayt
User

#737 Re: Phono bake-off

Post by lindsayt »

Will vehicle access be possible to the front of your premises, or will the roads be blocked off?

Also is there a full list of equipment currently due to be there? Turntable, arm, cartridge, pre-power / integrated amp, speakers plus phono stages?
mainscablesrus
Old Hand

#738 Re: Phono bake-off

Post by mainscablesrus »

Roads are fine.

There is a car park round the corner and a free stretch of road about 1/4 mile away.

Whoever decides to come brings a phono stage or not if they just want to sit and listen.

I have 12 turntables at least of my own, I am sure we can dig out a good one.

Nicks power amps, MF Audio pre amp and SUT

NS1000 loudspeakers
You can't change how people treat you or what they say about you. All you can do is change how you react to it.
Dr Bunsen Honeydew
Old Hand

#739 Re: Phono bake-off

Post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

No SUT for me please. I will bring alternate cheap amp and cable for fun if there is time.

I personally hate Yammy NS1000 but I will put up with them.
lindsayt
User

#740 Re: Phono bake-off

Post by lindsayt »

I could bring my EV Sentry III speakers on the 6th if one or two people could help carry them in?

NS1000's are fine for what they are, but wouldn't be my choice for evaluating world class phono stages.
steve s
Shed dweller

#741 Re: Phono bake-off

Post by steve s »

lindsayt wrote: Sat Jul 29, 2017 6:44 am I could bring my EV Sentry III speakers on the 6th if one or two people could help carry them in?

NS1000's are fine for what they are, but wouldn't be my choice for evaluating world class phono stages.
I would have loved to hear those speakers, sadly I can't make it this time
Maybe we could have a (hi end) speaker session later in the year...? Dave's new speakers will be worth hearing when he gets them, I can bring some decent diy jobs ... And I'm sure a few others will join in ?
Sept/ Oct?
The tube manual is quite like a telephone book. The number of it perfect. It is useful to make it possible to speak with a girl. But we can't see her beautiful face from the telephone number
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#742 Re: Phono bake-off

Post by pre65 »

lindsayt wrote: Sat Jul 29, 2017 6:44 am I could bring my EV Sentry III speakers on the 6th if one or two people could help carry them in?

Interesting. :)

The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

G-Popz THE easy listening connoisseur. (Philip)
Cressy Snr
Amstrad Tower of Power

#743 Re: Phono bake-off

Post by Cressy Snr »

steve s wrote: Sat Jul 29, 2017 10:16 am

I would have loved to hear those speakers, sadly I can't make it this time
Maybe we could have a (hi end) speaker session later in the year...? Dave's new speakers will be worth hearing when he gets them, I can bring some decent diy jobs ... And I'm sure a few others will join in ?
Sept/ Oct?
I'll join in when I get the big omnis done. That should be good for a laugh.
Sgt. Baker started talkin’ with a Bullhorn in his hand.
Tony Moore
Old Hand

#744 Re: Phono bake-off

Post by Tony Moore »

Can I come along if you have room please?

I won't have any equipment to contribute except for my ears. :lol:

It's been a while since I managed to get to Owston, I am feeling nostalgic!

Cheers,
Tony
mainscablesrus
Old Hand

#745 Re: Phono bake-off

Post by mainscablesrus »

Tony Moore wrote: Sat Jul 29, 2017 7:18 pm Can I come along if you have room please?

I won't have any equipment to contribute except for my ears. :lol:

It's been a while since I managed to get to Owston, I am feeling nostalgic!

Cheers,
Tony
Everybody welcome.
mainscablesrus
Old Hand

#746 Re: Phono bake-off

Post by mainscablesrus »

The speakers are there to allow us to hear the differences in each phono stage which was quite evident at the last meeting, no 2 sounded the same. the speakers we used were not pants at all, where you got that idea from bearing in mind no one you know attended (I assume) who knows.

Thjx for offering to bring some speakers it won't be necessary and they wouldn't fit down the stairs without damaging them I would guess, you could have got them in through the side gate but there is a large scaffolding tower up at the moment so that's not possible.

When the speaker bake off is due I will let you know if you want to bring them then.

I have some speakers lined up that fit the larger room better than the previous ones.
Dr Bunsen Honeydew
Old Hand

#747 Re: Phono bake-off

Interest is spreading, we could get some more units brought along. It looks like you may have a job for a while with these events Dave.

Anyway, a thought. There is mention of speakers, and of course there are amplifiers. I think that is too wide, probably needs to be a bit more specific. How about putting in price bands, or budget, middle, nearly high end, high end, but even with that we would need to establish a price bands (when new) for each.

Dacs, cables, computer audio, turntables etc etc could be years of fun.

Uddersfield - the hi-fi bake off capital of the UK :lol:
lindsayt
User

#748 Re: Phono bake-off

Post by lindsayt »

mainscablesrus wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2017 4:33 pm

The speakers are there to allow us to hear the differences in each phono stage which was quite evident at the last meeting, no 2 sounded the same. the speakers we used were not pants at all, where you got that idea from bearing in mind no one you know attended (I assume) who knows.

Thjx for offering to bring some speakers it won't be necessary and they wouldn't fit down the stairs without damaging them I would guess, you could have got them in through the side gate but there is a large scaffolding tower up at the moment so that's not possible.

When the speaker bake off is due I will let you know if you want to bring them then.

I have some speakers lined up that fit the larger room better than the previous ones.
Surely the speakers at the previous bake-off were a bit pants if you have some speakers lined up that fit the larger room better than the previous ones?

OK we could get into semantics here where the previous speakers were "good" and the ones you have lined up are "doubleplusgood" for that room.
Or equally someone with a different scale of describing speaker goodness could say the previous speakers were "pants" and the next speakers will be "less pants".

Anyway, I'm happy to leave my speakers at home. I just don't like to turn up at hi-fi bake-offs without at least offering to bring something of interest to the other people attending.
Nick
Site Admin

#749 Re: Phono bake-off

Post by Nick »

I am guessing David's point was the original speakers were fine, I have used them with good results in the past, its just they didnt work well in the room. The ns1000 do a better job, but I think until we get a bit more damping in what’s basically an empty room with direct speakers its going to be less than optimal. The rack the turntable is on is a bit of a issue, but I have a plan for that.

I would like to hear those speakers some time, but it may be a option too far for one day give that day is devoted to phono stages.
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
Dr Bunsen Honeydew
Old Hand

#750 Re: Phono bake-off

Well I can offer the DocMods B&Ws you helped with - BTW yes they are better. Still maybe a bit small but I am sure musically better than Yammy NS1000s.

If I had got on with the DocMods Goodmans Magnums, they would have been perfect, but they are on the back burner, as my usual quiet summer period hasn't happened this year.