David Wilson

Scottmoose
Needs to get out more

#1 David Wilson

Post by Scottmoose »

David Wilson finally passed away a few days back. Like Wilson Audio or no (I don't, but if you get beyond the cliches there are aspects of his approach that are worth noting), & whatever you think about the pricing, he was a major figure, quite a nice person by most accounts, and a rather talented recording engineer too.
'"That'll do," comes the cry of the perfectionist down the ages.' (James May The Reassembler)
Website www.wodendesign.com
Community sites www.frugal-horn.com & www.frugal-phile.com
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

#2 Re: David Wilson

Post by IslandPink »

He does seem like a guy who was genuinely interested in the audio and trying to bring new ideas into it. Were the bass cabs on those big units, like the Watt, a sealed unit - the size suggests they could usefully be so ?
I see some Scan-Speak sliced cone mid drivers on them which can never be a bad thing.
"Once you find out ... the Circumstances ; then you can go out"
Scottmoose
Needs to get out more

#3 Re: David Wilson

Post by Scottmoose »

Yes, some were IIRC (I've not slept for 4 nights, heading to bed in a minute). They have vented too, depending on the model.

David was very canny at manipulating responses to produce a particular sound; whether you like it or not he knew what he was doing. They've use[d] a few Scan based units, especially the slit-cone Revelators (great midband apart from the ~1KHz edge-resonance, which can make them sound a bit 'boxy' in free air as-is. Easy fix though). I've a homage in mind for later this year.
'"That'll do," comes the cry of the perfectionist down the ages.' (James May The Reassembler)
Website www.wodendesign.com
Community sites www.frugal-horn.com & www.frugal-phile.com