R I P prince

Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

#16 Re: R I P prince

Post by Mike H »

:D

I am certain Phil HAS heard some Prince music, if not been aware of it.

"No matter how fast light travels it finds that the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it."
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#17 Re: R I P prince

Post by pre65 »

Nick wrote:
But to be honest, I could not name anything he ever sang.
That may say more about you than Prince though :-)
Oh yes, it certainly does. :wink:
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

G-Popz THE easy listening connoisseur. (Philip)
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

#18 Re: R I P prince

Post by IslandPink »

I must admit I have a complete blind spot for Prince's music. I'm well aware of what he's done ( at, least the mainstream stuff ) , but none of it moves me at all :oops: I'm a bit mystified as to why this is, because I like loads of different sorts of music. I don't know if it would make that much difference - I'm hesistant to ask ( like asking someone to explain why a joke is funny ) - but can people elaborate a bit on what they find in his music ?
It's a tragedy for a guy like him to die at 57 though.
"Once you find out ... the Circumstances ; then you can go out"
Dave the bass
Amstrad Tower of Power

#19 Re: R I P prince

Post by Dave the bass »

IslandPink wrote:I'm hesistant to ask - but can people elaborate a bit on what they find in his music ?
*Puts hand up*

Ok, a few examples explained...

Exhibit 1 (m'lud).

Aids and Drug addiction, Ooooo...In the opening verse of a mega hit song?..... that bass part, pivotal, 'bendy', so simple, so easy to over do it... he didn't. He's Prince.

Exhibit 2 (m'lud)

Attitude wid a capital 'A', in essence, I'm hot, I know it. I give commands to my band at 1.42! He's Prince.

Exhibit 3 (m'lud)

That solo. That song. Those words. Oh yeah, you know he plays and arranges most everything to yeah? Thats talent. He's Prince.

Exhibit 4

A song about how good music can be. 1.53, that organ chord. "Hot Pants......by James......Sly's gonna take ya higher.... minor keys and deruggz.....they got a PhD in advanced body movin'". He's Prince.

Exhibit 5

Radiohead. But better by Prince! Thats solo (He's Prince).

Exhibit 6

"act ya age not yo shoe size"......... his lyrics rip the pi55 quiet often. He's Prince.

I was trying to link to 'Lif O' the Party' where he disses himself brilliantly too but a lot of his stuff has been pulled on tooyoob.

Enough?
"The fat bourgeois and his doppelganger"
andrew Ivimey
Social Sevices have been notified

#20 Re: R I P prince

Post by andrew Ivimey »

I saw Prince at the Empire Pool Wemberley. Back in those days Prince never did anything for me. But I watched and I was amazed. Such appalling extraordinary fabulous talent, such hard work @ 110% and such brilliance. Still not my sort of music but pppphhhhhhrrrrrrrrooooooaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrr.

So then I started listening (and watching) and got the point. WOW squared.
Philosophers have only interpreted the world - the point, however, is to change it. No it isn't ... maybe we should leave it alone for a while.
Dave the bass
Amstrad Tower of Power

#21 Re: R I P prince

Post by Dave the bass »

I saw him at Wemberlee too, when he play this...

... Michael Bland's snare sample sounded like a shot gun and made my stoned mate actually duck on the 1st strike :lol: ("moove ya big ass round so I can work on that zippah..." Subtle. He's Prince.
"The fat bourgeois and his doppelganger"
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

#22 Re: R I P prince

Post by IslandPink »

Ok thanks guys but need time to work through that :D
Exhibit 1 is good , yes. ( first track )
Exhibit 2 - better - very nice, like that a lot, although the lyrics are a bit repetitive....
Purple Rain I'll skip, just can't connect to that song at all, just seems very boring, leaden beat just jazzed up with tizzy 80's style production. Been watching a programme on BBC4 just now and switched off around that point when everyone was gushing about Purple Rain. Sorry !
I'll keep you posted on the next few.
"Once you find out ... the Circumstances ; then you can go out"
thomas
Old Hand

#23 Re: R I P prince

Post by thomas »

Well there were some excellent choices there, young DTB

I always found Purple Rain a bit turgid, to say the least, however imho the solo at the end really is that good….