I got a job

Paul Barker
Social Sevices have been notified

#1 I got a job

Post by Paul Barker »

I'm over the moon. All my work in the gas industry has been sub contract. I thought at my age now 58 I'd never get a job cards in.

An agency I have good history with, put me up as their strongest candidate for a gas appliance service and repair job based in Scarborough. But I will travel from Scarborough some days to Hull Whitby etc. Nothing new there then.

But looks like now I have a full time paid job that should take me to my state pension age.

Interview in Sheffield (head office) today went well. After I got home, was told I'm starting Monday!

Have to do one week in four on call, just hope that doesn't clash with Owston or Mark will kill me!
"Two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I am not yet completely sure about the universe." – Albert Einstein
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

#2 Re: I got a job

Post by IslandPink »

That's bloody superb Paul - well done ! Hard work over the years paid off ?
"Once you find out ... the Circumstances ; then you can go out"
Paul Barker

#3 Re: I got a job

Post by Paul Barker »

Thanks Mark.
"Two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I am not yet completely sure about the universe." – Albert Einstein
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#4 Re: I got a job

Post by pre65 »

I'm really happy for you Paul. :)
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

G-Popz THE easy listening connoisseur. (Philip)
Cressy Snr
Amstrad Tower of Power

#5 Re: I got a job

Post by Cressy Snr »

Good news Paul.
S' funny that, that's two of us starting Monday and both of us 58 :lol:
Last edited by Cressy Snr on Thu Mar 10, 2016 9:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sgt. Baker started talkin’ with a Bullhorn in his hand.
Paul Barker

#6 Re: I got a job

Post by Paul Barker »

Thanks guys.
Dave the bass
Amstrad Tower of Power

#7 Re: I got a job

Post by Dave the bass »

Treat yerself and get yer nails done Paul! :)
"The fat bourgeois and his doppelganger"
jack
Thermionic Monk Status

#8 Re: I got a job

Post by jack »

SteveTheShadow wrote:Good news Paul.
S' funny that, that's two of us starting Monday and both of us 58 :lol:
Brilliant news for both of you - Excellent news Paul. SIgh of relief.... :cheers:

BTW. I'm not 58 until April :)
Vivitur ingenio, caetera mortis erunt
steve s
Shed dweller

#9 Re: I got a job

Post by steve s »

Congratulations paul... Yes 58 is quite a common age around here..and a good age to branch out
Hope it all goes well...
Cheers
The tube manual is quite like a telephone book. The number of it perfect. It is useful to make it possible to speak with a girl. But we can't see her beautiful face from the telephone number
Paul Barker

#10 Re: I got a job

Post by Paul Barker »

We've all grown older together.

We'll be here in our 80's I recon :drunken:
andrew Ivimey

#11 Re: I got a job

Post by andrew Ivimey »

58... youngster - get a job! - ah you have - ...well done!

congrats but.... pension age is getting stretched and stretched. Nah, go with the congrats aaaand enjoy!
Philosophers have only interpreted the world - the point, however, is to change it. No it isn't ... maybe we should leave it alone for a while.
Greg
Social outcast

#12 Re: I got a job

Post by Greg »

Well done Paul, really pleased for you.

Now make good use of the 8 years before state pension. Sign up for 'work placed pension' which in law you should be offered anyway. It'll be the 'Nest' option which is the trust the government have signed over responsibility to.

http://www.nestpensions.org.uk/schemewe ... -nest.html

You only have eight years so some options to think on here. If you go for the minimum save and contributions from your employer, after eight years it will be buggar all return on a monthly basis. On the other hand, contribute at a much higher level (I'm going to do £100 voluntary contributions a month) and that invested money will grow, coupled with your employers contributions and interest earned. When you retire, you can either draw it as a pension or draw out as a lump sum. Deductions are made from salary before tax but on withdrawal, lump sums are 25% of total tax free and the remainder is taxed at basic rate, 20%. Do the sums.......far better expected returns compared to any high street savings account and with only eight years to go, little benefit in considering it for a life long pension. My case, I'll save as said, employer will contribute, interest will be earned and at the end I'll draw the lot out, pay the tax on 75% but still be quids in and probably buy a car that should see me out to the end of my days. Things to think about..........
Paul Barker

#13 Re: I got a job

Post by Paul Barker »

Thanks.
Ray P
No idea why I do this anymore

#14 Re: I got a job

Post by Ray P »

Good on you Paul, the more defined routine should result in a better work/life balance for you.

BTW, I'm 58 too, have been for a few months now! 1957/58 must have been a good year.

Ray
Sorry, I couldn't resist!
Paul Barker

#15 Re: I got a job

Post by Paul Barker »

We must have all hit our midlife crisis together and taken up this lark instead of going after Girl 20's. Though I think at least one on here I know did the other thing also!