I got a job

Greg
Social outcast

#46 Re: I got a job

Post by Greg »

Good news Nick. I hope you cross the final hurdles OK. Job application and selection is certainly a 'Grand National' these days. I hope this won't interfere with you coming to Owston.

Good for you, Paul. Being appreciated goes a very long way to giving you that job satisfaction that makes you comfortable in your work. And of course, now you have better employment security (I hope!). There is nothing better than being appreciated, firstly by your customer and thereafter, your employer. I know, because that is my own situation and I absolutely love what I do. Best job I've ever had. Stressful at times and I think that is what you are referring to as a trial, but hey, it's worth learning to manage that, because the benefits are worth so much more. Stick at it and learn how to enjoy the ride..
Last edited by Greg on Fri May 20, 2016 9:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Paul Barker
Social Sevices have been notified

#47 Re: I got a job

Post by Paul Barker »

Yes Greg that goes part way to explain what I mean by a trial. It's hard to explain the trial element. Yes the work is physically and mentally difficult, but as has been my work in this industry as a repair man since 2004. Face everything as a shock head on, and unlike everyone else that has had a go before you, get a successful result (most pf the time). That is a burden. But not as bad a burden as the times I have focused every cell of my being on keeping a child alive for long periods of time. I idon't think this stress is a patch on the stresses of the paediatric nurse in charge of a shift and most of the time the only one in the whole hospital with the necessary skill level, surrounded by incompetents. I DON'T SAY IT THAT WAY TO DEMEAN THEM, BUT TO PUT IN CONTEXT THE STRESS.

But I have paddled my own canoe since leaving the nhs and now I belong an employer. That is a big change. How long will it last?

Well Diana is almost certain now to accept he 8 months pay redundancy on Monday. So I'll have to just hang tough working for the man!

I still feel a blues song coming.

But to be so warmly welcomed at head office yesterday by all involved. First time I've been back since I was marched out with my van the day I started. As you say it goes an enormous long way to be desired, appreciated and emotionally rewarded.

Large corporates like BG COULD LEARN A LOT FROM THAT MODEL. they go in the exact opposite direction and are heading for disaster for the low moral of their front line staff.
"Two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I am not yet completely sure about the universe." – Albert Einstein
jack
Thermionic Monk Status

#48 Re: I got a job

Post by jack »

Greg wrote:Good news Nick. I hope you cross the final hurdles OK. Job application and selection is certainly a 'Grand National' these days. I hope this won't interfere with you coming to Owston.
Thanks - I'll be at Owston if at all possible.

Been given three tasks, all perfectly reasonable - two highly technical, one strategic. All three to be written up this weekend. The technical papers are not too bad - all stuff I'm familiar with but because its all taking place in a completely new (for me) regulatory domain with unknown (i.e. substantially less capable than the City of London's) infrastructure, it becomes a really interesting challenge.

The strategic paper is more personal and aimed much further up the hierarchy...
Vivitur ingenio, caetera mortis erunt
jack
Thermionic Monk Status

#49 Re: I got a job

Post by jack »

Just heard.

After nearly four months of interviews, board papers, presentations etc. Culminating in flying to Dubai on Tuesday, having a further eight hours of interviews in blocks of 90 minutes, a formal lunch & dinner, a callback for a further two hour chat with the CEO yesterday followed by getting the 02:45 flight back to lgw so we can prepare for the 40-50 people who are coming to lunch tomorrow....

..I just got the call that they're making me an offer..

Yay ! :)
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

#50 Re: I got a job

Post by Mike H »

Blimey taken a while? :shock:

"No matter how fast light travels it finds that the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it."
jack
Thermionic Monk Status

#51 Re: I got a job

Post by jack »

Mike H wrote:Blimey taken a while? :shock:
Serious job.
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

#52 Re: I got a job

Post by Mike H »

It'd better be! :D

"No matter how fast light travels it finds that the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it."
Paul Barker

#53 Re: I got a job

Post by Paul Barker »

Congratulations Nick.
"Two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I am not yet completely sure about the universe." – Albert Einstein
Cressy Snr
Amstrad Tower of Power

#54 Re: I got a job

Post by Cressy Snr »

Well done that man!
Sgt. Baker started talkin’ with a Bullhorn in his hand.
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

#55 Re: I got a job

Post by IslandPink »

Top notch !
Sounds like it's harder to get jobs in IT than Optical Design :D
"Once you find out ... the Circumstances ; then you can go out"
jack
Thermionic Monk Status

#56 Re: I got a job

Post by jack »

Thanks chaps.

It's been a very stressful experience - so many stages, twists and turns - drove me nuts.

The final stages this week were mad - really.

Not totally sunk in yet - very serious job - just relieved its over...
Ray P
No idea why I do this anymore

#57 Re: I got a job

Post by Ray P »

Well done Nick.

Are you able to say more about the role?

Ray
Sorry, I couldn't resist!
jack
Thermionic Monk Status

#58 Re: I got a job

Post by jack »

I can now I've got the contract.

I'm going to be Director of IT/CTO of a multi-billion dollar hedge fund based in Dubai.

Interesting company - they are a charitable fund, raising about $100M/pa for their projects - currently nearly 1500 projects in Africa directly running the health & education for 6 million children, and indirectly benefiting 100 million others people.

They are also the major funders of research into neglected tropical diseases (e.g. leishmaniasis & elephantiasis), were the early funders of ebola reseach (before it became fashionable and was picked up by the West) have a huge anti-slavery project and another aiming to get 121 million children in the Indian subcontinent back into education. In addition, they fund micro-banks in various continents as well as funding a social policy institute in the UK, chairs at MIT and a whole bunch of other stuff.

They also really like having fun and expect all staff to spend a chunk of the year in the projects.

I start there in September.
Paul Barker

#59 Re: I got a job

Post by Paul Barker »

Wow
andrew Ivimey

#60 Re: I got a job

Post by andrew Ivimey »

Wow indeed!

Just think... - a hedge fund company that benefits human kind. I'm a simple soul with little understanding of this sophisticated world in which or rather through which I stumble.

All the best then!!!
Philosophers have only interpreted the world - the point, however, is to change it. No it isn't ... maybe we should leave it alone for a while.