Welcome to Audio Talk

Nick
Site Admin

Post by Nick »

Ah, good someone spotted the deliberate mistake...

Sorry. I will start again.
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
Nick
Site Admin

Post by Nick »

For assorted reasons, but mainly because they are not being used, I have taken the Timestep and Slatedeck sections aout of the the list.
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Mike H »

That's perfectly reasonable.

"No matter how fast light travels it finds that the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it."
Nick
Site Admin

Post by Nick »

Sorry about the downtime. It was a failed power supply. Should all be back to normal now. Any problems let me know. Shame, as the server had a three and a half year uptime.
Cressy Snr
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Cressy Snr »

Hi Nick,

I can get on with Google Chrome, but Safari gives the following error message.

phpBB : Critical Error

Error doing DB query userdata row fetch

DEBUG MODE

SQL Error : 145 Table './audiotalk/phpbb_users' is marked as crashed and should be repaired

SELECT u.*, s.* FROM phpbb_sessions s, phpbb_users u WHERE s.session_id = 'e207069354c6277a8b64e7c6847b2417' AND u.user_id = s.session_user_id

Line : 315
File : sessions.php

I have cleared cookies and the cache but the site seems to not be accessible to Safari on iPad.
Sgt. Baker started talkin’ with a Bullhorn in his hand.
Cressy Snr
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Cressy Snr »

Scratch that Nick,

Looking at the error message, it had to be to do with auto login process.

I cleared all website data from Safari and am now able to get in.
Nick
Site Admin

Post by Nick »

Yep, it was trying to restart a session, but as the server had been restarted that session was no longer valid.
Dave the bass
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Dave the bass »

Ta for fixing the server Nick. Need any donations towards the replacement PSU?

DTB
"The fat bourgeois and his doppelganger"
Cressy Snr
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Cressy Snr »

Nick wrote:Yep, it was trying to restart a session, but as the server had been restarted that session was no longer valid.
Cheers Nick.
Nick
Site Admin

Post by Nick »

Thanks Dave, but it was the server admin folk in Germany where the dedicated server quietly sits in a rack, who plugged a new power supply in for us.
jack
Thermionic Monk Status

#56 Re: Welcome to Audio Talk

Post by jack »

Ancient thread....

Have you ever considered moving from a dedicated server to a Digital Ocean Droplet or similar? (I use DO and SiteGround - way way better than GoDaddy or others I've used)

No physical hardware, very cheap and fast...

Just a thought....
Vivitur ingenio, caetera mortis erunt
Nick
Site Admin

#57 Re: Welcome to Audio Talk

Post by Nick »

No physical hardware, very cheap and fast...
Exactly how does that work then?
jack
Thermionic Monk Status

#58 Re: Welcome to Audio Talk

Post by jack »

You rent virtual capacity - you can change the configuration at any time.

DO Droplets are essentially Docker containers - they are cheap, fast, flexible and trivial to manage - you can specify virtual databases & filestores too. Bandwidth & speed & excellent - I use pretty much the cheapest options for things like a private Algo VPN server (so I have a static IP) - easy to manage and if I want to move my environment from one continent to another, it's a press of a button. Just checked - the Ubuntu droplet running the Algo VPN server costs me USD 3/pcm.

Backups etc. are easy too.

https://www.digitalocean.com/products/droplets/

So, similar to AWS and Azure, you have no dedicated tin, just an o/s of your choice. It's SaaS.

I absolutely love DO - been using them for over a year now. Dropped all my other providers except SiteGround (who are excellent as a managed service if you want cPanel etc.). Makes you realise that running your own tin is an absolute edge condition these days.

Have a play - their cheap options are stupidly cheap - create an account and have a play.

What are Audi-Talk's server needs (memory/CPU/Disk/BW?)
ed
retired

#59 Re: Welcome to Audio Talk

Post by ed »

jack wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2019 9:09 am Makes you realise that running your own tin is an absolute edge condition these days.
what on earth does this mean?
There's nowhere you can be that isn't where you're meant to be
jack
Thermionic Monk Status

#60 Re: Welcome to Audio Talk

Post by jack »

ed wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2019 10:01 am
jack wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2019 9:09 am Makes you realise that running your own tin is an absolute edge condition these days.
what on earth does this mean?
:)
It's becoming the exception, not the rule, to own your own server hardware (like Nick does).

Most companies use virtual capacity in the cloud - the hardware that it ultimately runs on is no longer your concern - you just rent "capacity" - an operating system with a certain amount of CPU capacity, memory and disk. Even disks are now virtual - you rent storage capacity again - either as a file store or database, i.e. rather than rent a 250GB disk, you rent a MySQL database - the hardware all becomes abstracted from the application, though you can specify that your storage is SSD- rather than spinning-based for performance-intensive applications (like big credit-card processing or data-mining).

So, the above expression meant that it's now unusual for folk to own & run their own hardware - the focus is now on the applications. It's a fundamental shift in IT Infrastructure - been going on for a few years now. In the last busines I was in in Dubai, I decommissioned the company's datacentre and moved everything to the cloud (barring some trivial stuff). We saved over $1M/pa, plus we had 2,500 sq ft of valuable office space back (which we sub-let out for yet more moolah), plus a lot more free time for my staff...