Newbie - Stuck with Biasing....

If they glow, this is the place to be
Tim F
New User

#1 Newbie - Stuck with Biasing....

Post by Tim F »

Hi all,

I've been asking on Pinkfish for the answer to this and was recommended to try asking here. Thanks in advance :)

I'm trying to bias my amps at the moment and need some help. I have Audio Research V140 monoblocks:
http://www.audioresearch.com/ContentsFi ... Adjust.pdf

I need 65ma as I'm using KT88's not the KT90's in the instructions. The multimeter is set to 200m V DC. I can get no lower than 95 after full warm up.

Anything obviously wrong here? I am measuring in the right place and adjusting the right pot. Amp is warmed up for 30 minutes too. This is the multi-meter I'm using (and the setting I'm using too) ...
http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c144/ ... 254c77.jpg

Speakers are connected to the 4 ohm tap, these are Martin Logan Clarity and I've made sure they're on too before measuring.

Many thanks, Tim
Nick
Site Admin

#2 Re: Newbie - Stuck with Biasing....

Post by Nick »

Well, assuming 425v on the anode (the doc says 32W and 75ma), looking at the kt90 triode curves, that would indicate about -37v on the grid. The same point for a kt88, needs -50v on the grid. So if the amp was designed for kt90, it may not have enough range in its bias setting to work with kt88.
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
Tim F
New User

#3 Re: Newbie - Stuck with Biasing....

Post by Tim F »

Thanks Nick, they are designed to work with KT90/ KT88/ 6550 with the last one being the least powerful so I'm not sure why that'd be incorrect from Audio Research's perspective.

I kind of follow what you're saying, I may be putting too much current through them and would require a change of resistors etc. to make this work properly? These are Svetlana KT88 Winged C if that helps, and I'm using the 65ma from memory as being the right value (can't remember where from).

Appreciate your time! :)
Tim F
New User

#4 Re: Newbie - Stuck with Biasing....

Post by Tim F »

Can this be fixed? Thanks, Tim
Paul Barker
Social Sevices have been notified

#5 Re: Newbie - Stuck with Biasing....

Post by Paul Barker »

Seems you may need to alter the value of R97 to achieve 65mA. It must be a power resistor. Try the 100k value suggested in the text under a section annotated 2.

While you can't bias it correctly I would not use it.
"Two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I am not yet completely sure about the universe." – Albert Einstein