RH2A3

If they glow, this is the place to be
Paul Barker
Social Sevices have been notified

Post by Paul Barker »

Greg wrote:
pre65 wrote:That's what I do in Chrome. :)
OK, thank you Philip. I hate Chrome. I'll see what can be done in IE.
I have a love hate relationship with chrome. Luvved it when it first came out, hated it about a year or two ago, found IE had fixed all it's glitches and had adopted all the innovations which previously made firefox and chrome better. found at that time IE trouble free.

Last 6 months eventually cracked as IE became more and more unstable, crashing frequently.

Went back to chrome, which is back on it's game. Having no issues with chrome right now. sure that shall change. because they won't leave things a lone and in the process of changing they fook oop.

At that time I shall jump ship and hop on another browser once more.

One area of interest is how a browser deals with the tab function. If a browser is well writen it will tab from the correct box to the next correct box and you can form fill really quickly. I found IE and chrome send the cursor to irrelevant steps. If it is a form you fill in a lot (thinking here of online banking) your mind fills in the gaps, you know at which box you have to do two additional tabs before you get straight to the next box that has to be filled in. Whereas I was at a supplier the other day and paid them with online banking while on their computer. It was a crapple.. anyway it tabbed correctly immediately to the exact right position with no pit stops at text highlights which are not desired.

I was impressed. someone will say that is the website builders fault no doubt. Maybe they built it on a crapple and didn't check it on the more common computers.

Still can't a afford a crapple so struggle on with common man computers.
"Two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I am not yet completely sure about the universe." – Albert Einstein
Alex Kitic
Old Hand

Post by Alex Kitic »

IslandPink wrote:Alex, I think the DC heating method you suggested above will be ultimately disappointing in terms of top-end and midrange tone. I think you'd be better, of as you say, with hum cancellation, unless you try a more sophisticated DC heating module like the ones Andrew has developed.
I would gladly try the solution you mentioned, but I was not able to find the schematics published on this forum. If it is a commercial project, I am afraid I cannot take part, due to a series of known and unfortunate circumstances.

Another issue might be that even having the schematics, I might be unable to source the parts necessary (not available locally). As an example, even TL783 is unavailable in local shops!

Despite of appearance, I am not that stubborn to have to discover and develop everything myself. While audio tube circuitry is my forte, I mostly lack the resources (parts availability) to get into any kind of modern solid state design (good voltage references are virtually non-existent in local shops, and what you cannot find, you cannot set your mind to find a use for).

The Rod Coleman regulator is one example I cannot try, and while I have a relatively good idea what parts are necessary for it, most are plain unobtainium for me. On the other hand, it is a commercial project which I cannot afford, due to several reasons: not to mention the fact that the price requested tops what can be imported without paying customs fees: the price would in the end be probably tripled, and I would not be able to afford that even if I had a job...

Can you imagine me living in England, for instance, and the repercussions it would have on my "work" with tube amps?
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Mike H »

Greg wrote:
pre65 wrote:That's what I do in Chrome. :)
OK, thank you Philip. I hate Chrome. I'll see what can be done in IE.
Yes should be able to do it in IE. In IE9 I get a message saying site is trying to open a pop-up, do you want to allow once, allow all from this site, or deny etc.

This assumes of course I have the blanket pop-up blocker in force. :D

"No matter how fast light travels it finds that the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it."
Alex Kitic
Old Hand

#244 Re: rh2a3

Post by Alex Kitic »

Alex Kitic wrote:
Steptoe wrote:dear Alex, I have s0me 813s which are very old but unused military valves.
If you could tell me how to get them to you I will send a couple. Yours sincerely, Steptoe.
Thank you very much! I cannot come to words to explain how badly I feel about the loss of one tube. It seems that they are more sensitive to mechanical damage when warm?

You can send them to me as a parcel: I'll PM you my address.
Thank you, Steptoe - I have sent you all the details in a PM, please check your messages inbox :)
Alex Kitic
Old Hand

Post by Alex Kitic »

Paul Barker wrote:I am sure just comparing beam mode to triode mode is a big difference.

The bass was good on the 813 so I expect that is your power supply sagging.
The transformer was delivered today, the winder has had to use a 500VA core for a 300VA transformer (and thus I requested higher current for the HT winding, making it 750V/0.5A).

Of course, bass has improved enormously :) The power transformer runs very cool, almost cold - not even 40 degrees C after one hour of operation.

B+ is now just above 800V on the first cap (and sparks appear when the DMM test lead approaches the cap terminal). 720V approximately across the tube, 700V approx. g2 voltage, bias approx. 55V with total current draw 100mA, anode dissipation slightly below 70W. I might increase a little bit the total current draw. At this point, output power should be at least 30W.

Power is overwhelming, loudness is incredible...

Now capable of using the usual rectifiers, I am getting to know the true character of the 813 in beam tetrode mode. At the moment, the best characterization I can give is one of almost brutal attack, but there is also a hint of warmth and richness in the tone, particularly the mid-bass and mids. The sound is rather different than the sometimes brittle and harsh character of the Chinese 845 tubes. But these are only first impressions.

So far so good, and even the hum with high frequency AC heating is not as prominent as I was expecting. I have prepared an actively cooled setup for the linear regulators (Copper heatsink for Athlon processors), and will compare high frequency AC with voltage regulated DC (the AC source that is rectified is the same high frequency AC).
Paul Barker

Post by Paul Barker »

That is all excellent news.
"Two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I am not yet completely sure about the universe." – Albert Einstein
Steptoe
User

#247 rh2a3

Post by Steptoe »

DearAlex, I have found two national union 813s which look good but have just moved from Australia and my hotmail account doesn't believe I am me.
I have so far failed to convince it otherwise so am waiting for one of my kids to give it a severe talking to and will get them to you asap. Best wishes, Steptoe.
Alex Kitic
Old Hand

#248 Re: rh2a3

Post by Alex Kitic »

Steptoe wrote:DearAlex, I have found two national union 813s which look good but have just moved from Australia and my hotmail account doesn't believe I am me.
I have so far failed to convince it otherwise so am waiting for one of my kids to give it a severe talking to and will get them to you asap. Best wishes, Steptoe.
Thank you, Steptoe, looking forward to hearing from you.
Alex Kitic
Old Hand

Post by Alex Kitic »

Alex Kitic wrote:
So far so good, and even the hum with high frequency AC heating is not as prominent as I was expecting. I have prepared an actively cooled setup for the linear regulators (Copper heatsink for Athlon processors), and will compare high frequency AC with voltage regulated DC (the AC source that is rectified is the same high frequency AC).
Modern technology is amazing: a copper heatsink for Athlon 64 processors can keep two regulators with 10W dissipation each reasonably cool even without active air circulation, and with circulation the regulator temperature at the case does not exceed 44 degrees C. What turns off is the electronic transformer, which gets rather hot due to the increase of current needed (9A per tube, approximately). The electronic transformers (high frequency switching AC for halogen bulbs) I am using are higher quality units protected from short circuit and overheating, as well as no-load condition. Maybe too protected for this purpose. They are very easy-to-use for AC heating, all that is needed are two 0.15 ohm resistors that drop 1.5V in total at 5A... but DC requires either more powerful units, or classic transformers.

On the other hand, besides simplicity and regulated output voltage that does not change with mains fluctuation, the hum generared by these units is mostly audible as solid state buzz, thus the result is very clean sound as compared to classic AC 50Hz where 100Hz residual 2nd harmonic is the prevailing noise.

I shall try further cancellation, since hum is not severe and cancellation might be the best and most effective option towards engineering perfection and good sound...
Paul Barker

Post by Paul Barker »

Alex Kitic wrote:
Alex Kitic wrote:
Modern technology is amazing: a copper heatsink for Athlon 64 processors can keep two regulators with 10W dissipation each reasonably cool even without active air circulation, and with circulation the regulator temperature at the case does not exceed 44 degrees C. What turns off is the electronic transformer, which gets rather hot due to the increase of current needed (9A per tube, approximately). The electronic transformers (high frequency switching AC for halogen bulbs) I am using are higher quality units protected from short circuit and overheating, as well as no-load condition. Maybe too protected for this purpose. They are very easy-to-use for AC heating, all that is needed are two 0.15 ohm resistors that drop 1.5V in total at 5A... but DC requires either more powerful units, or classic transformers.

On the other hand, besides simplicity and regulated output voltage that does not change with mains fluctuation, the hum generared by these units is mostly audible as solid state buzz, thus the result is very clean sound as compared to classic AC 50Hz where 100Hz residual 2nd harmonic is the prevailing noise.

I shall try further cancellation, since hum is not severe and cancellation might be the best and most effective option towards engineering perfection and good sound...
did you remember to filter the initial 50hz and 100hz from the first rectification of the mains to dc from which the HF frequency generator is powered? That is probably where your hum is getting in. The reason for the problem is that these electronic transformers are specifically designed for lighting, so there is no reason to filter out the 50hz and 100hz elements. After all they replaced the use of ac mains frequency transformer powered lights. So this is an element of the design you have to change if you want to change the use of these transformers.

We used to put additional capacitance off board to fix it.

Something else worth changing is the frequency of operation.

We raised the frequency by removing turns from the small torroid choke to raise the frequency of oscillation.

The larger torroid HF output transformer sets the output voltage so that can be played with aswell. But you need to scope the output to find out the true RMS, I am not even sure if a supposed true RMS voltmeter is good enough here. At the very least I would check it against a 50hz AC heater and make sure such things as brightness and cathode current are identical for both heaters on the same valve. Over heating shortens the life of TT filaments 10 fold and underheating robs them of power miserably. With TT it is a very fine window of operation you have to hit.

If memory serves me right this was our greatest area of difficulty, establishing the correct power. I am pretty certain true rms voltmeters were not true at the frequency of these units which is something like 35khz stock and we raised it to 60khz and sometimes more with our alterations. Next time I am at the lockup I will take pictures of one of mine which was adapted for the 212.

We were doing this around the time Guido Tent was envisaging his first DC supplies and the other people working with dc heating today weren't off the ground. Compared to what we had back then these power supplies did the job.

I have to be honest though, my 212 amp sounded better at my home that day a gang came over. In that version it was heated with mains frequency AC, but there was no hum.

I was slightly less happy with the amp every form it took after that day. Changing to HF ac heating was one of the changes but by no means the only change. So I cannot say whether it had an influence. I can just say along with other things it was one of the changes and in the finish the 212 never again sounded as good as it did that day in my house. That tends to be the way with this hobby, we change too much at the same time and find ourselves lost without scientifically applying logical steps.

My gut instinct is that the heater supply was not the problem. I am fairly confident in the HF heater supply method.

In your situation there isn't much choice anyway.

One issue we had with it which affected reliability was that somewhere in that design of the original HF transformer is something that senses whether the correct number of lamps for safe operation are functioning. If one lamp blows the transformer cuts off, so that the other lamps in circuit aren't harmed from over voltage. In the proper use of the transformers today, the habbit of electricians has adapted to this situation (because it turns out to be a right pain finding out which lamp of one side of the kitchen has blown). So what happens today is you buy individual transformers for every lamp.

But you must make sure that your demand on the HF transformer is well smack bang in the right portion of the window. That may not be in the middle, probably better at the lower level. The reason is, that the TT filament is almost a dead short when cold, the sensing mechanism in the transformer probably thinks there is too much load and shuts down before it ever gets off the ground. We experienced this with some transformers. IF this becomes an issue then a resistor in series which is shorted after 30 seconds is the fix.
Nick
Site Admin

Post by Nick »

If memory serves me right this was our greatest area of difficulty, establishing the correct power. I am pretty certain true rms voltmeters were not true at the frequency of these units which is something like 35khz stock and we raised it to 60khz and sometimes more with our alterations.
The problem with this was that the supply was a distorted square, so it was next to impossible to determine with the kit we had what the equivalent RMS was. A sampling scope would probably do it now.
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
Alex Kitic
Old Hand

Post by Alex Kitic »

Paul Barker wrote: did you remember to filter the initial 50hz and 100hz from the first rectification of the mains to dc from which the HF frequency generator is powered? That is probably where your hum is getting in. The reason for the problem is that these electronic transformers are specifically designed for lighting, so there is no reason to filter out the 50hz and 100hz elements. After all they replaced the use of ac mains frequency transformer powered lights. So this is an element of the design you have to change if you want to change the use of these transformers.

We used to put additional capacitance off board to fix it.
Actually, I did not - the electronic transformers are "stock", I have not attempted to modify them in any manner. They are good quality German products, not some Chinese no-name items.

The idea about additional filtering of the first DC (after the diode bridge, i guess?) is a good one, although this means tampering with the device, and as such might be "not reproducible" by DIYers who might want to build the amp some day.

As far as hum from these units goes, it is actually not hum in the usual sense of the word (50Hz and 100Hz hum like mains AC would give), but more "solid state buzz".

I just went to the speaker and stopped the music to be able to hear it properly (!). The "noise" is 99% buzz and maybe some 1% hum, if you are intent on hearing it. The noise can be heard from 5-10cm distance from the speaker (i.e. midrange), and gradually gets lost. I don't think I can hear any at my listening spot, maybe in the quiet of the night, if I concentrate on it.

Thus, it is solid state buzz. The same solid state buzz that I hear from voltage regulated DC, using for instance an LM1084. When using DC, the buzz is greatly reduced and can be heard only with your ear very near the speaker. No hum, just buzz. Same as with high frequency AC.

Maybe adding some capacity behind the diodes might improve operation, but it might as well burn the unit (the diodes... or anything else). How much capacity were you adding, and where were you connecting it?
Paul Barker wrote: Something else worth changing is the frequency of operation.

We raised the frequency by removing turns from the small torroid choke to raise the frequency of oscillation.

The larger torroid HF output transformer sets the output voltage so that can be played with aswell. But you need to scope the output to find out the true RMS, I am not even sure if a supposed true RMS voltmeter is good enough here. At the very least I would check it against a 50hz AC heater and make sure such things as brightness and cathode current are identical for both heaters on the same valve. Over heating shortens the life of TT filaments 10 fold and underheating robs them of power miserably. With TT it is a very fine window of operation you have to hit...
This might be also a good direction, but again it would mean tampering with the units, and it is not something DIYers might easily replicate.

I actually haven't got a scope, nor any means of measuring this high frequency AC (my DMM is good up to 400Hz). While this makes me a little bit nervous (sensitive TT filaments), tests with DC heating (9V, 9.5V, 9.8V tried) have confirmed to me that based on the heaters light intensity I am hitting the correct voltage, probably 9.8 or 9.9V. I am using one 0.15 ohm resistor on each leg, meaning that at 5A current draw, the total voltage drop is 1.5V; the electronic transformer unit is specified as 11.2V-11.7V (depending on current, obviously), so assuming 11.5V at 5A current draw, the filaments get 10V... probably 9.9 or 9.8, but not more than 10V.

The good thing here is that output voltage is supposed to be current draw sensitive, but rather insensitive of mains fluctuation.
Paul Barker wrote: I have to be honest though, my 212 amp sounded better at my home that day a gang came over. In that version it was heated with mains frequency AC, but there was no hum.

I was slightly less happy with the amp every form it took after that day. Changing to HF ac heating was one of the changes but by no means the only change... That tends to be the way with this hobby, we change too much at the same time and find ourselves lost without scientifically applying logical steps.

My gut instinct is that the heater supply was not the problem. I am fairly confident in the HF heater supply method.

In your situation there isn't much choice anyway.
Indeed I am quite confident in the HF heater supply method. My previous experiments with 2E22 have shown that the HF heater supply is just as good as mains AC, maybe a little bit clearer sounding (slightly less tubey, if that would be the correct definition).

As for the choice - I might decide to try mains AC (getting rid of the buzz, and inheriting some hum in the process. BTW, I am not quite sure whether the hum nulling schematics proposal is applicable to HF AC? Maybe it could be, if the diodes were replaced by high-speed Schottky?

Last but not least, I could continue with the DC voltage regulated LM1084 alternative, as it is not objectionable whether it decreases spurious noise (but the buzz is not something I like, anyway) - and check it's effect on the sound. I might again use classic mains to power the rectirifer/regulator circuitry - or find some more powerful HF AC units (mine are 105W).
Paul Barker wrote: One issue we had with it which affected reliability was that somewhere in that design of the original HF transformer is something that senses whether the correct number of lamps for safe operation are functioning...
...So what happens today is you buy individual transformers for every lamp.

But you must make sure that your demand on the HF transformer is well smack bang in the right portion of the window. That may not be in the middle, probably better at the lower level. The reason is, that the TT filament is almost a dead short when cold, the sensing mechanism in the transformer probably thinks there is too much load and shuts down before it ever gets off the ground. We experienced this with some transformers. IF this becomes an issue then a resistor in series which is shorted after 30 seconds is the fix.
Well, actually I have to use separate transformers for each output tube, this being an SE amp. I treat them as if they were separate secondaries. The only real difference is the fact that I cannot bypass directly from the cathode, but must bypass from the "mid point" instead.

As for the right portion of the window, using 105W transformers on approximately 60W consumption (11.5V x 5A = 57.5W) means that there is enough current to start the tubes... nice and slow.

(Since current is limited, they start rather nice and slow, max. current is probably just 9A, which is the reason why it shuts down after a while when supplying the rectifier/regulator circuit, since 5A x 1.6 = 8A, and this probably overheats some part of the HF AC transformer and shuts it down).

Putting it simply, a good quality 105W HF transformer for halogen lighting is the perfect choice for heating the 813 - limited current inrush, correct voltage every time, cold and reliable operation for hours and hours, and protected from all sorts of mishaps... if you do not mind the buzz ;)

For DC, a more powerful unit is necessary, something like 200W per tube.

I find it interesting that there is very little mention of "solid state buzz" in all stories about AC and DC heaters that can be found on the web. Some advocate AC as the best solution (mains AC), others advocate "high-end" solutions like Rod Colemans, or the Tent Labs... and there are some that "shamelessly" use high value capacitors to smooth the DC for the heaters without actively regulating it. But no mention of buzz. It seems that DC is perfectly quiet (???) and the whole story is about whether it sounds better on AC or DC, current regulated or voltage regulated... it does not buzz, and is dead silent? Come on, is it just me?

BTW, while there are theoretical explanations on the merits of current regulation, most filaments are actually supposed to operate at a certain voltage, where they exhibit more or less current draw. Forcing a 300B filament to operate with 1.2A current draw means that the voltage across the filament will probably vary between some values (let us assume 4.8V and 5.2V). Now I guess 5V would be the best option, and the filament should draw the current it naturally does at that voltage for which it was "designed"... if we fix the voltage, current will "follow"... but fixing the voltage and forcing a current... does not seem all that correct to me.

This current vs voltage regulation opinion is obviously theoretical. I could easily use a voltage regulator to set the current instead of setting the voltage, and thus let the voltage develop across the filament accordingly. But that would also involve more power loss and heat dispersal: setting 1.2A of current (on the mentioned 300B) would require approximately an 1 ohm resistor, causing an additional voltage drop of 1.2V besides the voltage drop of the regulator, and the subsequent additional 1.44W dissipation... compare that to a low-drop regulator like the L4940V05 which operates 1.2A current on as little as 0.4V drop, and sets the 5V on its own (fixed regulator)... and is limited to 1.5A of current (slow start)... for a dissipation of probably 1W in most applications. Heresy? This is practical theory, and not my intention to step on anyone's toe :)

The question is: are DC heating applications "buzz free"?
Nick
Site Admin

Post by Nick »

With respect, yes, if they are done properly. And IMHO, LM1084 is not done properly, but even so it should not "buzz", you need a scope to do this stuff, otherwise you are guessing.
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
Alex Kitic
Old Hand

Post by Alex Kitic »

Nick wrote:
With respect, yes, if they are done properly. And IMHO, LM1084 is not done properly, but even so it should not "buzz", you need a scope to do this stuff, otherwise you are guessing.
1) Truth is, I haven't got a scope. I actually never really needed one... (and they do not come for free, and require some space to store and use them).

2) I would like to draw a line about buzz: I have no buzz whatsoever with AC mains on the heaters (for instance, 2E22 used in the RH TTA).

3) The same 2E22 used in the RH TTA with DC supplied by a rectifier/regulator - buzz can be heard (very faint, obvioulsy, but if you want to hear it, you can hear it with your ear near the speaker).

4) The same 2E22 used in the RH TTA with DC supplied by lead-acid 6V batteries - different buzz, but definitely not "dead silent".

5) Final point - 2.5V heater tubes (1619, 2A3) used in the RH TTA on AC mains (50Hz) - no buzz whatsoever, and hum so faint that it is difficult to discern even with an ear in my 88-89dB/W/m speakers.

As for the LM1084, the worst part of it is, like in any commercial integrated linear regulator, the voltage reference. Besides that, it has all sorts of fail-safe devices (limited current, overheating) and is extremely easy to use (even fixed output devices can be easily set as adjustable).

Maybe not high-end, but I would not call it "not done properly". Besides, high-end voltage references are expensive and I cannot get them locally...

I understand this means that with proper DC people do not hear any buzz? This would imply that all my DC sources (including batteries) are the source of the buzz I can hear...
Nick
Site Admin

Post by Nick »

Maybe not high-end, but I would not call it "not done properly". Besides, high-end voltage references are expensive and I cannot get them locally...
Thats fine, we have different opinions about what done properly means, thats not a problem. My point is that we have tried DC a lot and there is more to it than just getting the noise low (though thats a start).
I understand this means that with proper DC people do not hear any buzz? This would imply that all my DC sources (including batteries) are the source of the buzz I can hear...
Well, with DC, its possible in my experience to get noise 20dB below what can be heard, and its only at that sort of level it stops doing harm. And no it doesn't imply that, it may be you have some source of buzz (can't say what buzz means without seeing or hearing it, but I assume you mean something with high frequency components) that is covered up when using AC heating by the 50Hz component.