New production 2A3

If they glow, this is the place to be
Greg
Social outcast

#1 New production 2A3

Post by Greg »

I'm asking for opinions on the sound quality of current production 2A3 valves available for purchase today. I am presently using Sovtek which I believe are well regarded. Certainly I like them. I find that JJ are also available along with Electro Harmonix Gold and TJ meshplate. There are probably others as well.

I'm interested in the EH Golds because I have their 300B versions and for the money they are very good.

Please can anyone who has experience of these different makes of 2A3 give me an opinion on performance comparison?

All views on this gratefully received.

Thanks.
JamesD
Old Hand

Post by JamesD »

The thing about the SOVTEK 2A3 is that it isn't a 2A3! Its mu=6, Rp=1K and Gm= 6mA/V and its happy with Pa=22W - none of which are 2A3 parameters.

The WAD2A3PSE is designed for the Sovtek, assuming its for this one but the point is true for any amp designed for the Sovtek 2A3, so it won't sound at its optimum with a real spec 2A3 and I would not expect it to sound as good as it does with the Sovteks when using other 2A3s...

There are Sovtek 2A3s for sale on ebay and from TubeDepot and BanziMusic in Germany.

James
Greg
Social outcast

Post by Greg »

Hi James,

That's really helpful. I didn't realise the Sovtek was not a true 2A3, and yes, it's for use in my WAD 2A3 PSE, so another set of Sovteks is probably the answer unless anyone else has another opinion.

Regards,

Greg
Neal
Shed dweller

Post by Neal »

WAD only run them at 13.5W though, there's 270v across each valve at 50mA.

Its not far from the true 2A3 operating point. You could easily drop 20Volts from the HT to each OPTX via a 7W 100R resistor and decoupling cap to bring the HT within the spec of 250v...
Greg
Social outcast

Post by Greg »

Thanks Neal. That's helpful and certainly I could do what you suggest, but it rather returns the topic to my original question. What current production 2A3 valves are worth exploring/purchasing?

Having said that, is it worth the effort?

We already know the Sovtek so called 2A3 is a fine valve in this amp. Personally I'm happy with that and with the links James has given me, they are seriously affordable. In consequence, I'm happy to stick with the Sovteks unless you or another suggests an alteration to the WAD circuit that would bring an improvement.

Everyone, what do you think? I'm very happy to take on board other suggestions or to simply stick with no circuit change and use the Sovteks. If you have a view on this, please let me know. Obviously the foundation of this consideration remains, what is the best current production 2A3 valve worth considering?
Lee S
Old Hand

Post by Lee S »

Hi Greg. I used Shuguang 2A3Cs in my amp a while ago (I think they also do 2A3Bs and a model with graphite or tungsten plates too... cant remember now). They certainly sounded as good as the Sovteks with no issues at all. Not sure if they are still available or not though. eBay is your friend...

Shuguang 2A3C
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2pcs-matched- ... 3f262312e4

Shuguang 2A3T
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-Shuguang- ... 2772452%26

Shuguang 2A3B
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-SHUGUANG- ... 1410506%26

Shuguang 2A3Z
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2pcs-ShuGuang ... 3a8245f0ea
©2020 Lee
Greg
Social outcast

Post by Greg »

Hi Lee,

Thanks for the heads up on the Shuguangs and for taking the trouble to search eBay and post the links.

Regards,

Greg
Neal
Shed dweller

Post by Neal »

Hi Greg, sorry, I cant answer your questions, I've stuck with the Sovteks, I like the way they sound and in my PP amp I run them at 17~18w so true 2A3s are no good for me...