transformers

If they glow, this is the place to be
ed
retired

#1 transformers

Post by ed »

following from what Mark was saying about Bud Purvine planning to retire.......it also seems that Iso-Tango are quitting in September....

from what the report on diyaudio indicates, Suzuki San may be quitting due to the fall off in valve interest.....

I also noticed a drop off in AER web site content recently.....

maybe next year's black will be solid state...on va voir
There's nowhere you can be that isn't where you're meant to be
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by IslandPink »

Well, we're counting on you to show us the way with the F6, Ed :thumbleft: because so far solid state has been unable to deliver , although the F5 gets close : but Nick admitted after last weekend, that it doesn't get that close...

So we shall all have to become more exclusive I guess, if general interest is waning . It occurs to me that it might be in part that the demographics are moving into the generation who has not really heard 'high-quality' audio by which I mean pre-CD sound.

It does concentrate the mind - about what to order for the future - regarding Bud anyway . Priorities may have to be shifted to gather the pennies for the iron in the shorter term - although we still have Dave Slagle and Pieter Trieurniet to help us out . However , who knows how long it will take to get something from Pieter, if the demand on him rises !

I wonder if the availability and slight reduction in price of the copper GM70's is anything at all connected with this fall-off in interest ?

If valve-based activity does continue at a reasonable rate, then I can't see any tranformers that Bud has made going down in value in the future - they could easily turn into a EBay legend, in time .
"Once you find out ... the Circumstances ; then you can go out"
steve s
Shed dweller

Post by steve s »

Well pieters making my new ones in record time... May be times are a changing....
The tube manual is quite like a telephone book. The number of it perfect. It is useful to make it possible to speak with a girl. But we can't see her beautiful face from the telephone number
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by IslandPink »

Oooh !
Excellent - what are you getting, Steve ?
ed
retired

Post by ed »

IslandPink wrote:Well, we're counting on you to show us the way with the F6, Ed :thumbleft: because so far solid state has been unable to deliver , although the F5 gets close : but Nick admitted after last weekend, that it doesn't get that close...
but that's just Nick's opinion, and anyway most of the people that bang-on about valves on the interweb havn't heard what Nick has heard in the first place.....

having said that I hadn't intended this thread to be at all contentious...

just saying.............
There's nowhere you can be that isn't where you're meant to be
Nick
Site Admin

Post by Nick »

but that's just Nick's opinion
And its the only one I have :-)
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
steve s
Shed dweller

Post by steve s »

IslandPink wrote:Oooh !
Excellent - what are you getting, Steve ?
A set of inter stages and outputs for a new px25 amp ... Should have them by august...they have fine met c cores, which Pieter says is a subtle improvement over amorphous.. Time will tell..,

Hopefully I will have it completed for november...
The tube manual is quite like a telephone book. The number of it perfect. It is useful to make it possible to speak with a girl. But we can't see her beautiful face from the telephone number
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by IslandPink »

Lovely !
Metaglas ( glass ) is that ?
steve s
Shed dweller

Post by steve s »

IslandPink wrote:Lovely !
Metaglas ( glass ) is that ?
**** Edit by Nick, seems HillTech don't want links to their site, so I have removed the link to
http colon slash slash www dot hilltech dot com slash pdf slash hl-fm10-cFinemetIntro.pdf
**** End of edit

Its not glass.. The link explains
Cheers
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by IslandPink »

Ah, but it does start out as a glass ; a metal glass - amorphous, due to super-fast colling from liquid. Then it's allowed to develop very small crystals. It's the same as Schott Zerodur glass-ceramic is to Optical Glass.

Very interesting .