Early high-gain twin-triode , cylindrical anode ?

If they glow, this is the place to be
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

#1 Early high-gain twin-triode , cylindrical anode ?

Post by IslandPink »

Dunno if anyone can help :(
It's annoying me - I 'lost' this valve ( Code ) as it might be a good one for an Aikido .
A couple of weeks ago I was searching through Gintaras's EBay offers ( KW Tubes ) and found an interesting-looking earlier version of the 12AX7/ECC83 . It was probably an octal pinout ; a twin-triode ; mu about 100 ; and cylindrical anode ( which is of particular interest ) .
I looked at the specs and found it was a variant of an existing Western valve type .
Trouble is, I can't find that item on his EBay shop any more, and I have forgotten the tube code of the Russian AND the American ones !

All can remember was it's a 6--- type :oops:
"Once you find out ... the Circumstances ; then you can go out"
andrew Ivimey
Social Sevices have been notified

Post by andrew Ivimey »

Well this puts me in mind with one of those conversations one has had with Philip Ramsay (bluebell). So impressed was he with the 'new' JJ ecc83s which he described as having something cylindrical ....well he sent me a couple. Now, I didn't know Gintaras was back - HOOray but has he got what he used to sell - total gold mine - why is it with those russhin and okay lithuanian sources that they remain fabulously interesting and must have?
Philosophers have only interpreted the world - the point, however, is to change it. No it isn't ... maybe we should leave it alone for a while.
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by IslandPink »

JJ ones cylindrical too eh ?
I will let you know what the others were...eventually !
Meanwhile -
http://stores.ebay.co.uk/KW-TUBES
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by IslandPink »

6F5 is getting close - right era and nice curves.... but only single triode.
Paul Barker

Post by Paul Barker »

Cylinder shape may not make a difference. 27 is cylinder and sound nice but I never seen a run on it. Other valves that are desired aren't cylinder.
"Two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I am not yet completely sure about the universe." – Albert Einstein
ed
retired

Post by ed »

intuition says(well mine does) that with a cylinder you'd get a uniform transfer/attraction of electrons....not sure what real effect though
There's nowhere you can be that isn't where you're meant to be
andrew Ivimey

Post by andrew Ivimey »

I was staring at a couple of 76s this morning and I thought I could tell the familial connection to the ancient 27. What little I've done with 27 I like and really do mean to finish off that pre amp.
Philosophers have only interpreted the world - the point, however, is to change it. No it isn't ... maybe we should leave it alone for a while.
Paul Barker

Post by Paul Barker »

I am guilty as anyone of attributing significance to the shape.
"Two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I am not yet completely sure about the universe." – Albert Einstein
andrew Ivimey

Post by andrew Ivimey »

Anode apart, globes seem to be preferred to,e.g.coke bottle shape. Can size and shape of a vacuum really affect sound quality?
Paul Barker

Post by Paul Barker »

Or some other variable coinciding. E.g introduction of mica.
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by IslandPink »

My take on globe envelopes is that they have less chance of transfering high-frequency microphonics ( from outside ) to the plate/grid structure, as the 'stuff' is only connected to the bulb at the bottom. There may be other reasons too.

If anyone can think of better ways to search for valves that can help me in the quest for the 'lost' valve, let me know . Google isn't getting there , neither are searches on DIY Audio . I'll try Audio Asylum now .
Last edited by IslandPink on Tue May 21, 2013 5:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
steve s
Shed dweller

Post by steve s »

I just think the metals changed so slightly at the time the globe shape went out of fashion. Nearly all valves seemed to loose something in the mid to late 30's.

The quality of the cathode emissions dropped during and after the war, i would guess the skills changed slightly during the war and i would guess who really cared after... More important things then to worry about

I think the key skill was getting the coatings even, apparently its was no easy task to get right.
The tube manual is quite like a telephone book. The number of it perfect. It is useful to make it possible to speak with a girl. But we can't see her beautiful face from the telephone number
JamesD
Old Hand

Post by JamesD »

Hi Mark,

Is this the beastie?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/6N9S-6H9C-MEL ... 589cf3c478

6N9S - 6SL7 alternative?

J
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by IslandPink »

It isn't exactly James, but the anodes and construction are a bit similar.
I'm sure the one I was looking for was a 100-gain tube . Gintaras billed it as being sought-after in the Russian audio scene and it wasn't cheap . I think was probably earlier than this example though .

That one is nice though - might ping Gintaras if he has more, and also ask about the 100-mu valve if he can remember what it was.

( Might have the 6072/6N6P Aikido done this evening, btw )
Ps. - these might interest someone :
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/100uF-1000V-1 ... 1402wt_958
JamesD
Old Hand

Post by JamesD »

Just went through my russian valve datasets and I can't find it either..

Only real high mu triodes are 6N2P and a few planar triodes in my books.

Really interested in seeing what it is, I hope Gintaras remembers.

Nice looking cap! Tempting :)

J