211 VT4C

If they glow, this is the place to be
Paul Barker
Social Sevices have been notified

Post by Paul Barker »

Oh that is a challenge.
"Two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I am not yet completely sure about the universe." – Albert Einstein
Nick
Site Admin

Post by Nick »

No, how about you?

This picture looked like four 211 per box

http://www.unitedhomeaudio.com/id160.htm

Though the text says one pair per box. But I am not sure how you would get 200W from a pair of 211. Mind you, I also don't know how you would make a ultra linear output stage with 211 either.
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by pre65 »

Must admit that picture is deceptive, but I was going by the text.

Ultra linear triode ? That's a new one on me. :)

Unless the EL34 driver is thus connected ? :wink:
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

G-Popz THE easy listening connoisseur. (Philip)
andrew Ivimey

Post by andrew Ivimey »

PPPPhhhhrrrrrroooooaaaaarrrrr! I've ordered the quadrophonic version; not sure what I'll do without all the requisite VT4Cs but maybe if I ...
Philosophers have only interpreted the world - the point, however, is to change it. No it isn't ... maybe we should leave it alone for a while.
Bizzie
Old Hand

Post by Bizzie »

In the description

2 pcs. 211 power output; 2 pcs. El34 power drivers, 2 pcs. 12AT7 power drivers

looks like the other 2 valves are el34

Edit had another look and I think that the chassis is polished to a mirror and the second pair of 211's are just a reflection.
Chopsaw
User

Post by Chopsaw »

There are two 211s per monoblock. There's a sheet of stainless between the transformers and the valves so the four valves you see is a mirage lol. Two EL34s for the drivers and ECC81s for the first stage.

The amps are triode push pull and yes Nick, I've wondered how they achieve 200 watts from two 211s. I'm not bothered about the blurb though, these amps really do sound superb. I bought them on a whim as I thought they were very reasonably priced, less than the 509s I'd just missed out on. They were ex dem mind and did have a couple of marks here and there but there was no way I could afford a new pair.

Anyway, thanks Nick for recommending the Psvane 211s and posting the link. I've managed to secure two matched pairs and I'm just waiting for my order to be processed. Can't afford the T's though but these gold base ones will do me fine.

Incidentally the Psvane 211s are made in the Shuguang factory.
Nick
Site Admin

Post by Nick »

Yep, I have done some work for the people behind the link I posted, so have chatted about 211's with them.

They make 212's as well looking at the catalogue they sent me, but I think its only a couple of hundred a year and they cost more than nos 212's at the moment.
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
slowmotion
Old Hand

Post by slowmotion »

According to the RCA 211 data sheet you can get 260 watts from a pair of 211s i class B, so I guess you can get 200watts in AB?
- Jan -
andrew Ivimey

Post by andrew Ivimey »

Well all that I'd read over the past few months from the far east was that Psvane was (an attempt at) upmarket Shuaguang and, as I said, Shuaguang has said that they have done a lot of research into 'valve technology'. As no one else is making e.g. 211s (KR?) maybe the new ones (which none of us has heard) are worth the dosh?!?

They could be really good - we don't know. It would be marvelous to be able to update what 'we know'.

GE VT4Cs are going to run out eventually - they are already expensive and I must have had about 20 altogether. Some have been duff. Some have been pure eBay robbery and some are excellent - all creamy smooth and powerful - all that one could ask actually. Mechanically tehy are not half as robust as GM70s.

I still have a pair of shuaguang 211s with only a few hours on them and they did come to Witham (a good few years ago) when Paul brought something ancient and exotic. Maybe you were being polite but I noticed a '...these aren't so bad after all' concensus sort of thing. I like them and they are still so easy to bias and sound okay (as opposed to 'transcendental with tears of gratitude in my eyes for having seen something so close to nirvana' to me in my 'Ongaku'. I appreciate Ongaku only runs at 960volts but, to me, it is a wonderful 960 volts. 1500 volts may be the place where Ongaku takes a back seat.

But, at the end of the day, if we are to use 211, the VT4Cs are going to run out fairly soon(?). and the it would be really good to know what of these ilk actualy still cut the mustard.

My journeys into GM70 show me cheap alternatives and there are still exotic ones. But perhaps we should listen more to what is being made these days because either they will come up with something brilliant or we may as well give up and buy Marantz or Cyrus. (Am I already showing my age?!?!)
Philosophers have only interpreted the world - the point, however, is to change it. No it isn't ... maybe we should leave it alone for a while.
Chopsaw
User

Post by Chopsaw »

slowmotion wrote:According to the RCA 211 data sheet you can get 260 watts from a pair of 211s i class B, so I guess you can get 200watts in AB?

Whilst I always thought the figures seemed optimistic my Jolidas do go indecently loud and never feel like they're running out of steam.

Anyway a nice new quad of 211s will be with me next week and I can't wait to get them in and biased up :D I'm also contemplating a new set of nos EL34s to go with them but I think I'll have to flog off some spares I've accumulated over the years as the pot is a bit bare right now :oops:

I have a new quad of Groove Tube 5881s, EH 6V6GT, unbranded KT88 and a used quad of Chelmer EL34 and unbranded KT66 and also a new pair of Russian 5U4G ( Reflector?). I also have a pair of new OP trannies for the 6V6s if anyone's interested. These are not ultralinear btw.

I'll stick some pics in the adds section later on.
Chopsaw
User

Post by Chopsaw »

The new tubes have been in for a fortnight now and have around thirty hours on them. They sounded nice straight from the box but the strong bass seemed a bit muddled and overpowering. The sound has now started to open out nicely and I'm very pleased with the result. The volume has increased significantly too which I didn't expect. Is that normal with a tube change?
Anyway thanks for the recommendation Nick, it was money well spent imo.

Here's the new 211s,

and installed and biased,
Nick
Site Admin

Post by Nick »

Good, glad it worked out ok.