Valve amp virgin, some advice please on valve choice?

If they glow, this is the place to be
Ali Tait
Eternally single

Post by Ali Tait »

300b and some OB's. G'wan, you know you want to! :D
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by pre65 »

If you can wait a bit longer, the next Owston should be an eye opener for you. :wink:
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

G-Popz THE easy listening connoisseur. (Philip)
gazjam
User

Post by gazjam »

Nick wrote:Just to ad my 2d, as you know I prefer SET's myself, but though a 300b may have made a loud noise with 90dB speakers unless you only listen to "girl with a guitar type sounds" which you don't, you will be getting loads of soft clipping and compression. For 90dB I would suggest at least a 211/845/813 or better a gm70 would be needed to get beyond a nice sound.
Thanks Nick, hadn't thought really beyond the 300B being "loud enough"...
I do listen to a lot of non tinkly stuff so PP could be the way to go.

Owsten's going to be an education. :)
steve s
Shed dweller

Post by steve s »

pre65 wrote:If you can wait a bit longer, the next Owston should be an eye opener for you. :wink:
Must get that sorted. Probably may or June?

The wigwam show is next weekend, that's a good day out, there's a few trade rooms this year just announced, and a fair few p/p and SE amps .. Some good kit..
And my kit is in room 74 you want a taste of one route in DIY ...2 1/2 watts and 102 db speakers...
The tube manual is quite like a telephone book. The number of it perfect. It is useful to make it possible to speak with a girl. But we can't see her beautiful face from the telephone number
Cressy Snr
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Cressy Snr »

Hi Gary,

I have gone from a commercial push-pull amp, to building single-ended triode amps, to single-ended pentodes and and back to a push-pull pentode amp of my own design. This push-pull amp drives my speakers better than anything else I have built, so it is with push-pull I am sticking for the foreseeable.

I should have two push-pull pentode amps at Owston, one around 12 Watts, class AB (EL84 valves) and the other, a 50 Watt class A using the new KT120 valve.

There'll also be plenty of single-ended amps there so you'll have a wide variety of gear to listen to, but I would advise as a few people have, that for your average shop bought speaker, a push-pull would suit them far better than a low power SET. Big transmitter valve SETs are a different matter but they are very expensive and run dangerously high voltages, in excess of 1000V.
Sgt. Baker started talkin’ with a Bullhorn in his hand.
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by pre65 »

SteveTheShadow wrote: Big transmitter valve SETs are a different matter but they are very expensive and run dangerously high voltages, in excess of 1000V.
Is 1000v really "dangerous", compared to 400v or 600v ?

And are transmitter valve amps "very expensive" ?

I'm not really in agreement with those two points. :)

Edmund Burke

Cressy Snr
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Cressy Snr »

pre65 wrote:
SteveTheShadow wrote: Big transmitter valve SETs are a different matter but they are very expensive and run dangerously high voltages, in excess of 1000V.
Is 1000v really "dangerous", compared to 400v or 600v ?

And are transmitter valve amps "very expensive" ?

I'm not really in agreement with those two points. :)
Commercial transmitter valve amps cost several grand unless you gamble on ultra cheap, Chinese.

You are looking at between four and seven thousand pounds for the Icon Audio MB845 series, depending on what you want David to supply you with.

I think you're forgetting the audience Phil.
We all know we can build a DIY transmitter amplifier far cheaper than the Icon Audio amp but Gary is not in that market, well not at the moment anyhow.
Closer to home, if you were to examine the current cost of the Sowter iron on Nick's 211 amp, your eyes would water :)

We've been there before with this high voltage stuff. I've been thrown on my back by 400V. I'm sure I would have been killed outright by 1000V or more at the same current. I count myself lucky.
Paul Barker
Social Sevices have been notified

Post by Paul Barker »

A few of us have been lucky. Definately more voltage needs more respect.
"Two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I am not yet completely sure about the universe." – Albert Einstein
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by IslandPink »

Voltages over 1000V have a habit of sneaking across a damp valve socket to ground, and setting fire to a carpet .....
"Once you find out ... the Circumstances ; then you can go out"
Paul Barker
Social Sevices have been notified

Post by Paul Barker »

What moi :D
"Two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I am not yet completely sure about the universe." – Albert Einstein
Greg
Social outcast

Post by Greg »

Hi Gary,

There you have it with some of the guys expressing their concerns regarding high output SE amps. Their response, in my view, has been a bit OTT. I suggest you talk with Nick direct. Certainly his advice on going for 211/845/813/gm70 valves makes total sense. You need this kind of SE valve to ensure your amp has the headroom to cope with any type of complex music you want to listen to. It is worth pursuing but as said, I seriously recommend you talk all this through with Nick first. Thereafter, sorry, it probably is the PP option. You'll understand now why that is my own personal choice in my interest in obtaining the ultimate versatility from my system. 300B PP plate dissipated to give 11W in class A works for me in my living room and copes with whatever I throw at it into 90dB speakers.

Regards,

Greg
Cressy Snr
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Cressy Snr »

Greg wrote:Hi Gary,
Thereafter, sorry, it probably is the PP option. You'll understand now why that is my own personal choice in my interest in obtaining the ultimate versatility from my system. 300B PP plate dissipated to give 11W in class A works for me in my living room and copes with whatever I throw at it into 90dB speakers.
No need to apologise for recommending a PP amp Greg. They're not the second best :lol:

11W in class A? having heard your amp several times, I always thought it sounded a lot more powerful than that. You live and learn.
Nick
Site Admin

Post by Nick »

We've been there before with this high voltage stuff. I've been thrown on my back by 400V. I'm sure I would have been killed outright by 1000V or more at the same current. I count myself lucky.
Thast the point, it would have not been the sane current. it wouldnt even be 2.5 times the current (that would be bad enough, its mils that kill). The body is not ohmic, 1000v will convert cells to carbon as it goes, carbon conducts well, current is much higher, death is more certain.
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
Neal
Shed dweller

Post by Neal »

Nick wrote:
Thast the point, it would have not been the sane current. it wouldnt even be 2.5 times the current (that would be bad enough, its mils that kill). The body is not ohmic, 1000v will convert cells to carbon as it goes, carbon conducts well, current is much higher, death is more certain.
....Phil are you convinced yet!? :wink:

Gaz, there's a cheapish tweaked WAD K5881 (MK1 AFAIK) for sale on AoS if you want to dip your toes..
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by pre65 »

Neal wrote:
....Phil are you convinced yet!? :wink:
Yep. :oops:

I've been wrong before, and no doubt will be again. :)

Edmund Burke