Valve amp virgin, some advice please on valve choice?

If they glow, this is the place to be
gazjam
User

#1 Valve amp virgin, some advice please on valve choice?

Post by gazjam »

ello all..Moving to valves.
Heard one in my system sounds great, love what a valve amp does.
Funds in place in a position to buy now.

Heard this one:
Dared VP300B
http://www.audioreview.com/cat/amplific ... 17crx.aspx
more info...
http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Dared-VP-30 ... 53f53544d1
Review:
http://www.goodsound.com/equipment/dare ... vp300b.htm
Uses two Electron Tube (Shuguang?) 300B 98 tubes, and a couple of what look like no name 12AU7's.

But this one... :shock:

http://www.hifiwigwam.com/showthread.ph ... mage+valve
valves fitted are Power tubes are Gold Lion KT88's x 4 and small tubes are Tunsram ECC82 and Siemens ECC83, there are two of each of these

whats the better valve amp between the two?
Ready to pull the trigger on the Image KT88.
I know about the difference between SET amps and push pull, my Rega RS3 speakers are 89db, but efficient enough even to be driven hard by 9 watts of SET amp.

thanks muchly.
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#2 Re: Valve amp virgin, some advice please on valve choice?

Post by pre65 »

gazjam wrote:

whats the better valve amp between the two?

thanks muchly.
The better one is the one YOU prefer.

Simple as that. Any other reply is simply someone else's preference. :wink:
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

G-Popz THE easy listening connoisseur. (Philip)
gazjam
User

Post by gazjam »

absolutely, agree 100%
Get what your saying though. :)

Just meant technically, quality of valves, manufacturer reputation..etc.
Just a general heads up and comparison if possible, particularly on the valves used.

thanks.
Ali Tait
Eternally single

Post by Ali Tait »

Hard to say which amp is better quality Gaz, most here build their own so won't know much about these two.

As for the valves, on the face of it the KT88 has better known and possibly better valves, but these are easily changed assuming you have the funds, so I guess it comes down to whether you prefer the single ended or push pull way of doing things.

If it helps, I will shortly have a 300b SE amp with some very good quality components and one of the best makes of 300b available. I'm working this coming weekend, but will be free the one after.
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by IslandPink »

You need to establish whether you are a SE ( single-ended ) person or a PP ( push-pull ) person :) as the two amps above fall into those two categories, and more extended listening will reveal that they have different strengths and weaknesses .

If you are going SE, then you may need to change your speakers to fit the amps, as SE likes efficient and easy to drive speakers , pref. >92dB/w .

Oh, and what sort of music do you play ? ( this is important and sort-of the same as the first question ) .
"Once you find out ... the Circumstances ; then you can go out"
simon
Thermionic Monk Status

Post by simon »

Spot on Mark. Some can live with either single ended or push pull, but most of us very strong preferences for one or the other. It's quite feasible that the OP could buy an amp with "technically" better specification (for want of a better phrase) but wouldn't enjoy the amp as much as the other.

Really, it's important you listen to the difference before you buy.
Greg
Social outcast

Post by Greg »

Hi Gary,

I would think very seriously about Ali's offer. You told me at the weekend that you thought you preferred SE sound. You already know Ali and so know he would never sell you anything duff. What he's offering is quite an exotic place to start, but if the price is right, why not? You'll also recall my view on the need for the domestic amp to be able to handle whatever choice of music you throw at it. This rather goes on from what Mark (Island Pink) is hinting at. Some SE designs can struggle with demanding and complex music where as a push pull design is more likely to cope although this certainly should not be regarded as an exclusive statement. A good SE amp designed with certain valves will also cope. As Mark suggests, another way of dealing with the problem is to invest in sensitive speakers. I'm sure Ali will throw in his panels for a couple of extra quid :wink:

Greg
Ali Tait
Eternally single

Post by Ali Tait »

Oh no, I wasn't offering to sell, just to have a listen! :D
Greg
Social outcast

Post by Greg »

Sorry Ali (and Gary). Misunderstood your post. Anyway, you have so much kit I'm sure you could find a nice amp for him. Maybe an exchange for a top of the range music server? :wink:
gazjam
User

Post by gazjam »

Greg wrote:Sorry Ali (and Gary). Misunderstood your post. Anyway, you have so much kit I'm sure you could find a nice amp for him. Maybe an exchange for a top of the range music server? :wink:
Nice meeting you Greg at Bristol, top bloke...even for a push/pull man. ;)
My Speakers are 89db and tried 40w push pull and 9w SET.
Both drive my speakers to "louder than comforable" volume, though I remember the push/pull gripping the speakers better.

I'd be happy to build a Server for one of Ali's Mrs' curry's never mind an amp!

Speaking of which (Server not the Curry...) I have the Server back with Nicks top of the line PSU.

Thinking of taking it down to Owston if there's any interest?
Also, wanting to putting a shout out to the AOS troops if there's any interest to hear it at my gaff, any AudioTalk guys welcome to come along for a listen.
Will wait till I have my new valve amp inplace, so mibbay a couple of weeks away.
Could tie in nicely Ali with your work schedule?
hopefully Tony can make it too.
Nick
Site Admin

Post by Nick »

Just to ad my 2d, as you know I prefer SET's myself, but though a 300b may have made a loud noise with 90dB speakers unless you only listen to "girl with a guitar type sounds" which you don't, you will be getting loads of soft clipping and compression. For 90dB I would suggest at least a 211/845/813 or better a gm70 would be needed to get beyond a nice sound.
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
Ali Tait
Eternally single

Post by Ali Tait »

gazjam wrote:
Greg wrote:Sorry Ali (and Gary). Misunderstood your post. Anyway, you have so much kit I'm sure you could find a nice amp for him. Maybe an exchange for a top of the range music server? :wink:
Nice meeting you Greg at Bristol, top bloke...even for a push/pull man. ;)
My Speakers are 89db and tried 40w push pull and 9w SET.
Both drive my speakers to "louder than comforable" volume, though I remember the push/pull gripping the speakers better.

I'd be happy to build a Server for one of Ali's Mrs' curry's never mind an amp!

Speaking of which (Server not the Curry...) I have the Server back with Nicks top of the line PSU.

Thinking of taking it down to Owston if there's any interest?
Also, wanting to putting a shout out to the AOS troops if there's any interest to hear it at my gaff, any AudioTalk guys welcome to come along for a listen.
Will wait till I have my new valve amp inplace, so mibbay a couple of weeks away.
Could tie in nicely Ali with your work schedule?
hopefully Tony can make it too.
Aye, sounds good Gaz, I will bring the 300b and the TFS to compare.
Ali Tait
Eternally single

Post by Ali Tait »

Aye, sounds like a plan!
Ali Tait
Eternally single

Post by Ali Tait »

Nick wrote:Just to ad my 2d, as you know I prefer SET's myself, but though a 300b may have made a loud noise with 90dB speakers unless you only listen to "girl with a guitar type sounds" which you don't, you will be getting loads of soft clipping and compression. For 90dB I would suggest at least a 211/845/813 or better a gm70 would be needed to get beyond a nice sound.
I'd take note of this Gaz, Nick's right IMHO. If you like what the 300b does, you'll need to change your speakers, otherwise stick to PP.
gazjam
User

Post by gazjam »

Cheers guys, all good to know.

Will change the speakers eventually but think I'm at a point where I need to "steer the ship" in the direction I want to go.
Heard some interesting valve kit so far, be good to hear your 300B Ali.

Choices choices...but its all good.

thanks.