valve frequency responce

If they glow, this is the place to be
jwoodaudio
User

#1 valve frequency responce

Post by jwoodaudio »

whats the best frequency response any of you have had from a valve amp?
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#2 Re: valve frequency responce

Post by pre65 »

jwoodaudio wrote:whats the best frequency response any of you have had from a valve amp?
Good question that. :wink:

Does it matter ? :lol:
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

G-Popz THE easy listening connoisseur. (Philip)
jwoodaudio
User

#3 frequency

Post by jwoodaudio »

matters alot. lets say you have a valve amp that only delivers 30 to 200 cyles your only goin to get bass coming out of the amp,
Nick
Site Admin

Post by Nick »

I would say it depends on the type of amp, typical SET, I would aim for -3dB 10hz to 40kHz depending on valve, but I would not expect full power at that bandwidth. Active loaded cathode follower buffer will go up to 1Mhz or so, I gave up looking above that.
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
steve s
Shed dweller

#5 Re: valve frequency responce

Post by steve s »

jwoodaudio wrote:whats the best frequency response any of you have had from a valve amp?
The best for me is from 25 hz up to about 13.5 kHz ... as thats all I can hear
from a more sensible viewpoint, the mullard designs of the late 50's always measured well assuming the ironware was up to the job.
The tube manual is quite like a telephone book. The number of it perfect. It is useful to make it possible to speak with a girl. But we can't see her beautiful face from the telephone number
Paul Barker
Social Sevices have been notified

Post by Paul Barker »

If you took the Williamson spec literally you think any modern amp very poor at bass on account of OPT inductance (lack of).

No doubt this que's J Wood to give us the spec of his product?
"Two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I am not yet completely sure about the universe." – Albert Einstein
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#7 Re: frequency

Post by pre65 »

jwoodaudio wrote:matters alot. lets say you have a valve amp that only delivers 30 to 200 cyles your only goin to get bass coming out of the amp,
Yes, of course. :)

What I meant was, if one builds a valve amp and the resultant sound pleases, does it matter ? Most of us would not be able to measure the frequency response anyway.

As was said when customers asked the power output of the worlds best car--it's adequate. :lol:

Edmund Burke

jwoodaudio
User

#8 .

Post by jwoodaudio »

what about the higher harmonics that alter the lower frequency's , i know most people cant hear above 15k but lets say i wind a transformer that rolls off at 15k and then i also wind one that rolls off at 70k no matter how good or bad your ears are you will be able to hear it,
Is there anyone near by to nottingham?

my overall question is how good are modern day valve amps, id like to compare mine to one side by side
Nick
Site Admin

Post by Nick »

What I meant was, if one builds a valve amp and the resultant sound pleases, does it matter ? Most of us would not be able to measure the frequency response anyway.

As was said when customers asked the power output of the worlds best car--it's adequate.
Yep, but how do you know its adequate?

People differ, but I have never found measuring a amp has made it sound worst, and it has often allowed me to make it better next time.
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

#10 Re: .

Post by IslandPink »

jwoodaudio wrote:what about the higher harmonics that alter the lower frequency's , i know most people cant hear above 15k but lets say i wind a transformer that rolls off at 15k and then i also wind one that rolls off at 70k no matter how good or bad your ears are you will be able to hear it
I think this certainly correct .
I would think that Dave Slagle ( transformer winder ) would tell you that output transformers need to go to 50-70kHz at -3dB, but also it would matter whether they were sloping off smoothly, or whether they were ringing as they died-off at the top end, and that would be audible.

I know if you design a driver stage for a DHT that has no slew limiting at 20kHz, it would be adequate, but a bit muddy in the treble and lacking micro-dynamics, but if it had no slew-limiting up to 50 or 60kHz, it would have tone and 'sparkle' in the HF .
"Once you find out ... the Circumstances ; then you can go out"
jwoodaudio
User

#11 ,

Post by jwoodaudio »

we wind all our trasnformers in house so far we have managed to get one producing 1 to 205k and it sounds fanstastic
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#12 Re: ,

Post by pre65 »

jwoodaudio wrote:we wind all our trasnformers in house so far we have managed to get one producing 1 to 205k and it sounds fanstastic
I salute you sir, that is a very good achievement. :)

Edmund Burke

steve s
Shed dweller

Post by steve s »

Do you sell the transformers ? UK made high quality transformers are in short supply. Sowters are good, but thicken the bass up a fraction in my limited experence I would be very happy to try a pair of yours. Could compare them to the tributes I use.
The tube manual is quite like a telephone book. The number of it perfect. It is useful to make it possible to speak with a girl. But we can't see her beautiful face from the telephone number
jwoodaudio
User

#14 HI

Post by jwoodaudio »

steve s wrote:Do you sell the transformers ? UK made high quality transformers are in short supply. Sowters are good, but thicken the bass up a fraction in my limited experence I would be very happy to try a pair of yours. Could compare them to the tributes I use.
No sorry we dont, our transformers are made strictly for our amps and designed for each unit, thats one of the main reason the amps sound like they do.
We also do a valve preamp which does dc to 14mhz we couldnt test further as the signal generator starting rolling off.
Nick
Site Admin

Post by Nick »

Paul is starting to look right.