Are valves only for the rich ?????

If they glow, this is the place to be
MrAcoustat
User

#1 Are valves only for the rich ?????

Post by MrAcoustat »

Are valves only for the rich ????? the answer is NO but if you are like me with 81 db speakers STAY AWAY unless you are wealthy don't get me wrong i love tube sound but with inefficient speakers the maintenance is expensive the more power you need the more expensive good quality tubes are plain and simple.
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by pre65 »

Well, there ARE valves that might be capable of what you need, and not that expensive to boot.

The 833a (GU_48 Russian) is a monster powerhouse if implemented correctly.

The way I use it the thing is not even ticking over, and it really does sound good.

You can certainly DIY one for a veritable fraction of the price that Wavec charge. :wink: (might not look as pretty though :) )
Last edited by pre65 on Mon Jul 16, 2012 11:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

G-Popz THE easy listening connoisseur. (Philip)
shane
Social outcast

#3 Re: Are valves only for the rich ?????

Post by shane »

MrAcoustat wrote: if you are like me with 81 db speakers STAY AWAY unless you are wealthy
I'll bear that in mind.
MrAcoustat
User

#4 Re: Are valves only for the rich ?????

Post by MrAcoustat »

shane wrote:
MrAcoustat wrote: if you are like me with 81 db speakers STAY AWAY unless you are wealthy
I'll bear that in mind.
50 watts per channel pure class A amplifier with very good tubes needed retubing after 10 months $1,200.00 sorry but i'm not wealthy.
Attachments
Keep It Simple 760 X 570.jpg
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#5 Re: Are valves only for the rich ?????

Post by pre65 »

MrAcoustat wrote:
50 watts per channel pure class A amplifier with very good tubes needed retubing after 10 months $1,200.00 sorry but i'm not wealthy.
What amp, and what tubes (valves :wink:) are you referring to ?

Edmund Burke

MrAcoustat
User

#6 Re: Are valves only for the rich ?????

Post by MrAcoustat »

pre65 wrote:
MrAcoustat wrote:
What amp, and what tubes (valves :wink:) are you referring to ?

Grant Fidelity Rita-880 available with normal tubes for $300.00 good tubes for $750.00 or the very best for $1,250.00 KT-88s Psvane HIFI series
Attachments
Rita-880 Tube Amplifier 01.jpg
KT-88 Psvane Tubes.jpg
Electrocompaniet EMC- 1up & Rita-880.jpg
MrAcoustat
User

Post by MrAcoustat »

If you notice because of the weight on the cabinet amplifier 110 pounds cd player 45 pounds i had my friend build me a new audio rack because the one i had was pretty cheap the new one is STRONG and i also find it very nice it weighs 300 pounds on a ciment floor it's not going anywhere. :)
Attachments
Chord Duo     1000x750.jpg
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Mike H »

Unfortunately the most popular types are priced accordingly, it's supply and demand. That's hellish expensive for KT88's though, they're not that marvellous.

"No matter how fast light travels it finds that the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it."
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Mike H »

Looks like 2 x KT88 per channel?

"No matter how fast light travels it finds that the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it."
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by pre65 »

Agree with Mike, those prices are just taking the piss, perhaps for Audiofools ? :wink: :lol:

At the end of the day we all make choices based on what we know (or think we know :wink:).

If you are happy with solid state amps then that's good. :)

Edmund Burke

MrAcoustat
User

Post by MrAcoustat »

Mike H wrote:Looks like 2 x KT88 per channel?
Yes Mike each channel = 2xKT-88 - 1x6SL7 - 1x6SN7

Yes i'm very happy with my Chord CPM-2600
colin.hepburn
Shed dweller

Post by colin.hepburn »

Psvane tubes were made by Shuguang tube factory under contract so in my view same valve/tube just made to look pretty my Shuguang KT66s cost about £35.00 matched pair so I think you are just paying silly money for a name and looks :shock:
http://psvanetube.com/wordpress/who-is-psvane/

PS just my views on this :)
Colin
The Blues man ImageImage
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Mike H »

I didn't want to write it in so many words for fear of offending somebody :D but that did occur to me also.

Sure you could get some decent Hong-Kong ones off eBay or something like. If you're really lucky, maybe original NOS :?:

It sez 'class A', is this single-ended or push-pull? I can work out how it could do it push-pull no problem.

If the KT88's are failing could be the anode power dissipation is too high? Well 'borderline' - it's the typical reason - if it were possible to reduce the biased DC current I'm sure it ought to lengthen the working life, maybe :?:

MrAcoustat
User

Post by MrAcoustat »

No brainer for me, bought the amp with the good tubes not the best one's so i never did spend the BIG bucks and this was one of the reasons i went back to solid state and i am very happy with my Chord CPM-2600.

PS: 81db is hard on ANY amp but on tubes their life is short and it's normal.
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Mike H »

Not sure about that, I have power tubes that have lasted for yonks and others only a few months, which, coincidentally, are typically newer manufacture, given what they might cost that is unacceptable to me. If one lot can do it, why not the other?

Not sure the "81dB" bit has much to do with it either, if it's class A the o/p tubes are pretty much working flat-out all the time. In terms of, the 'idle' current is high. (Higher than it can be done with equivalent class AB push-pull for example.)

I'm assuming the KT88's are failing somehow, any visible symptoms?