Power op amp driving valve in A2

If they glow, this is the place to be
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Mike H »

A T-amp is class C output? I wouldn't, could have HF flying around everywhere

"No matter how fast light travels it finds that the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it."
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Mike H »

Lee S wrote:Aaaargh !!! Paul !!! I had just about forgotten about that bloke until you mentioned it again.... Horror !!! :pukeright:
Yes I'd managed to forget it as well!

Paul Barker wrote:However a friend of mine aparently wins the hairiest backside contest, I heard tonight when he was passed out naked on the bathroom floor his wife sent for her friend to lift him into bed.
Too much information! :D

"No matter how fast light travels it finds that the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it."
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Mike H »

Off-topic suggestion for Nick ~ as regards use of an op-amp to regulate a supply rail (low impedance negative as well as positive) how about one of these power amp chips like TDA2050? Is wired up same as an op-amp. :?:

pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by pre65 »

Mike H wrote:A T-amp is class C output? I wouldn't, could have HF flying around everywhere
Class D old chap. :wink:

Would do as a first step though, to test the concept without investing to much spondoolicks ?
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

G-Popz THE easy listening connoisseur. (Philip)
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Mike H »

Oh right I keep getting it wrong, class D :roll:

I know what I meant. :D

You can try it but I'm not sure meself.

pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by pre65 »

Mike H wrote:Oh right I keep getting it wrong, class D :roll:

I know what I meant. :D

You can try it but I'm not sure meself.
I might just, as an experimentalisation to keep me amused on cold winters days. :wink:

The old T-amp has got to be good for something. :lol:

Next up I need a design for a 250v (220-250v variable ideally) regulated PSU to power the 1626 valves. Each valve is 30ma so 60 + ma needed. The transformer will be the one from my original 300b amp so there are a few volts to spare.

Edmund Burke

pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by pre65 »

I've decided to go with a simple PSU to start with.

I have a Danbury 260v mains transformer and a couple of 10H chokes.

In fact I could use 3 chokes and split the supply after the first choke, that would give each channel it's own choke.

Edmund Burke

pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by pre65 »

Thinking about this amp, and having discussed it with a friend, I'm confused as how A2 operation will affect the t-amp driving the grid.

I've drawn the circuit as I understand it from P.Millett's article. Is it as simple as having a cap between t-amp and 1626 grid to protect the t-amp from grid current in A2 ?

Or is it more complicated perhaps ?

http://www.pmillett.com/pwrop.htm

PS there are 2 caps shown in the article picture, one seems to be a bypass cap for the cathode resistor.

Edmund Burke

Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Mike H »

Can't put a capacitor in, would just be charged up, and the grid would end up zero or negative, we've been down this road before haven't we? :D

Output must be DC coupled to grid, and the current will be all in one direction, that's one reason why I wasn't sure a if a T-amp would be suitable.

pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by pre65 »

Mike H wrote:
Output must be DC coupled to grid, and the current will be all in one direction, that's one reason why I wasn't sure a if a T-amp would be suitable.
OK, so would your suggestion of the Maplin amp be any different ?

Edmund Burke

Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Mike H »

I would think so because it's linear not class D. Have no personal experience of class D but am given to understand the output is like a high freq. square wave with variable mark-space ratio, followed by substantial filtering to then get rid of it, leaving just the DC shift resulting from the difference in mark-space ratio. Don't think you can give it complicated one-sided loads, like a diode, which is what a valve grid is like.

:?:

pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by pre65 »

Bugger. :wink:

Edmund Burke

Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Mike H »

I rather thought so too.

Somone else more up on the theory of how they work might be able to confirm, or not....

Andrew
Eternally single

Post by Andrew »

Mike H wrote:Off-topic suggestion for Nick ~ as regards use of an op-amp to regulate a supply rail (low impedance negative as well as positive)
I did this a while back, with Nick's help I managed to stabilize it, so it didn't continually blow up op amps, was proving a bit expensive up until then.

Andrew
Analogue, the lost world that lies between 0 and 1.
Nick
Site Admin

Post by Nick »

Andrew wrote:
Mike H wrote:Off-topic suggestion for Nick ~ as regards use of an op-amp to regulate a supply rail (low impedance negative as well as positive)
I did this a while back, with Nick's help I managed to stabilize it, so it didn't continually blow up op amps, was proving a bit expensive up until then.

Andrew
If I remember correctly, we got through a lot of desoldering braid that day :-)
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.