shuguang 211

If they glow, this is the place to be
ed
retired

#1 shuguang 211

Post by ed »

has anybody got any experience of these, such as any particular issues like reliability?

I only ask because you usually get what you pay for, and these are a lot cheaper than nos GEs for instance.
There's nowhere you can be that isn't where you're meant to be
Nick
Site Admin

Post by Nick »

They are ok up to about 900v, above that the electrode start to creak and move (it seems). IMHO, they dont sound a patch on GE's
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
Paul Barker
Social Sevices have been notified

Post by Paul Barker »

I wouldn't even use them as shunt regulators, worth about a farthing for a bakers dozen.

VT4C's are still a bargain. Nick is still on his originals, I have never killed one.

the man I bought my Nickel double C cores from banck in the '90's who was dying of MND had built a 211 amp in which he cooked them to 2,000 volts. He said that they opened right out at very high voltage way above their ratings. He introduced me to the concept that valve amps need opening out.

I never yet tried his prescription with the 211, maybe I am missing something special.

If you had asked about this when I came back when was that a year now? I would have given you all my Chinease 211's to play with. I had 6, and all they could fetch on ebay was some paultry figure not even worth the effort of going to the post office. Sorry you missed them. I think your Svetlanas (haven't you got 572-10 which must be an approximation of the 211) are a much better bet, if you can't afford vt4c just stick with the Svets.

I imagine a Chinease one would be firewroks long before you reached his operating point.
simon
Thermionic Monk Status

Post by simon »

I'm wandering off topic but has anyone tried both VT4C and GM70 and if so how do they compare? GM70 are still cheap, but do they compare well?
Paul Barker
Social Sevices have been notified

Post by Paul Barker »

no
simon
Thermionic Monk Status

Post by simon »

No they don't compare well?
Nick
Site Admin

Post by Nick »

Chinese 211 are not great. GM70's are nice, Cu GM70's are better, GE 211's are at least as good as Cu Gm70, but different, 211 better on top, gm70 better mid bass.

GM70's are harder to heat, and a bit harder to drive. Both gm70's and 211 work nice at about 750v to give 300b power levels.
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
Laurence
I am not a user, I am a free man

Post by Laurence »

Is it worth the extra voltage needed?
ed
retired

Post by ed »

I ran across this the other day, apologies if I first saw it here.....

http://www.allegrosound.com/Power_AllegroSound.html

personally I don't have a need for anything approaching 300b power levels so 750v was actually what I was looking at.......
There's nowhere you can be that isn't where you're meant to be
simon
Thermionic Monk Status

Post by simon »

Blimey ed, it seems I need a monster amp :D :headbang:

Better get some GM70s cranked up!
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by pre65 »

simon wrote:
Better get some GM70s cranked up!
I found GM70 preferable to 845, but have not tried 211. 811a is very nice and my new ones are coming to Owston, pity you won't be there to hear them. :wink:

GM70 is fairly easy to do, even the heaters are not that difficult. DTB reckoned my GM70 amp was quite good (by my standards) so that may be feint praise. :lol:
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

G-Popz THE easy listening connoisseur. (Philip)
simon
Thermionic Monk Status

Post by simon »

I liked your GM70 amp too Philip, from the little I heard of it.

I guess I should get some VT4C in for stock but they're not that easy to find it seems, and I bet they're not cheap.