Running a 2A3 at 5K

If they glow, this is the place to be
Ali Tait
Eternally single

Post by Ali Tait »

Far too much compromising going on here! :)
Ali Tait
Eternally single

Post by Ali Tait »

Nick wrote:I do have at least one more to build Bud, so I would be interested in getting a pair of yours for comparison purposes. I agree the Sowters are very nice, not expecting anything other than a comparison. Take it via email or PM if you prefer?
I'll be most interested in the outcome of this Nick.
JackOfAll
Old Hand

Post by JackOfAll »

deleted
Last edited by JackOfAll on Mon Sep 19, 2011 2:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JackOfAll
Old Hand

Post by JackOfAll »

deleted
Last edited by JackOfAll on Mon Sep 19, 2011 2:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nick
Site Admin

Post by Nick »

Yep, you are right 9CT:1
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Mike H »

JackOfAll wrote:
BudP wrote: The garble is an underlying deconstruction, something that I expect to hear with the levels of reproduction available, but hear as a, well, garble of the information. Not a distortion as such but a confusion in coherence and intelligability.
Thanks for the explanation.
Hysteresis? (Is that spelt right?)

"No matter how fast light travels it finds that the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it."
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by pre65 »

Mike H wrote:
JackOfAll wrote:
BudP wrote: The garble is an underlying deconstruction, something that I expect to hear with the levels of reproduction available, but hear as a, well, garble of the information. Not a distortion as such but a confusion in coherence and intelligability.
Thanks for the explanation.
Hysteresis? (Is that spelt right?)
Looks right to me. :wink:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hysteresis
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

G-Popz THE easy listening connoisseur. (Philip)
Nick
Site Admin

Post by Nick »

There is also Barkausen which I think Bud alludes to in the post.

Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
BudP
User

Post by BudP »

Nick, email is fine hpurvine at gmail and you know the rest.
"You and I and every other thing are a dependent arising, empty of any inherent reality" Tsong Ko Pa
Neal
Shed dweller

Post by Neal »

BudP wrote:Garble in an autoformer....hmmmmm

......So my problem with autoformers is 60 to 80 db down from the signal level.....
You are hearing something garbled 80db down from the signal level! Are you sure? :shock:
BudP
User

Post by BudP »

You are hearing something garbled 80db down from the signal level! Are you sure?
No. The only surety is that it is well underneath the typical signal level. I am pointing to the finishing resonances from a grand piano note, the information coming from the chassis after the sounding board decay is done. Or, the bow draw across the top string of a violin, that faintly coarse grainy shush, just after the note dies away. Or a non vocal reflection decay, from behind a chorale, when the reflection should only be that of voices. That level of signal.

This sort of minutiae gone wrong wears upon me. My wife points out that it is a sickness, this desire to hear the perspiration and oils popping from the skin of a musician, but there you have it.
"You and I and every other thing are a dependent arising, empty of any inherent reality" Tsong Ko Pa
Dave the bass
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Dave the bass »

BudP wrote:
This sort of minutiae gone wrong wears upon me. My wife points out that it is a sickness, this desire to hear the perspiration and oils popping from the skin of a musician, but there you have it.
Dunno if it helps (brother!) but you're not alone :-)

DTB
"The fat bourgeois and his doppelganger"
andrew Ivimey
Social Sevices have been notified

Post by andrew Ivimey »

'No. The only surety is that it is well underneath the typical signal level. I am pointing to the finishing resonances from a grand piano note, the information coming from the chassis after the sounding board decay is done. Or, the bow draw across the top string of a violin, that faintly coarse grainy shush, just after the note dies away. Or a non vocal reflection decay, from behind a chorale, when the reflection should only be that of voices. That level of signal. '

Yep - that's exactly it - it isn't always there and my search so far has attributed it to the amp or the speakers - I have never delved so deep as to blame the transformers.

Once heard - you're in serious trouble.
Philosophers have only interpreted the world - the point, however, is to change it. No it isn't ... maybe we should leave it alone for a while.
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Mike H »

Dave the bass wrote:
BudP wrote:
Dunno if it helps (brother!) but you're not alone :-)

DTB
lol .. :lol:

Make me think about the magnetizing current needed to get the core going before anything else happens. :?:

"No matter how fast light travels it finds that the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it."
Paul Barker
Social Sevices have been notified

Post by Paul Barker »

andrew Ivimey wrote:'No. The only surety is that it is well underneath the typical signal level. I am pointing to the finishing resonances from a grand piano note, the information coming from the chassis after the sounding board decay is done. Or, the bow draw across the top string of a violin, that faintly coarse grainy shush, just after the note dies away. Or a non vocal reflection decay, from behind a chorale, when the reflection should only be that of voices. That level of signal. '

Yep - that's exactly it - it isn't always there and my search so far has attributed it to the amp or the speakers - I have never delved so deep as to blame the transformers.

Once heard - you're in serious trouble.
The problem is Andrew, once you hear an OTL amp (which I am sure you have) you are left worrying considerably as to why output transformers are holding back so much.