Running a 2A3 at 5K

If they glow, this is the place to be
andrew Ivimey
Social Sevices have been notified

Post by andrew Ivimey »

Which spec did you order, Mark!!!? 1-2-or 3.

Now my little red amp has blown I must finish a 2A3 version and use my ONetics PP trafos.
Philosophers have only interpreted the world - the point, however, is to change it. No it isn't ... maybe we should leave it alone for a while.
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by IslandPink »

Andrew
Pair for the mid/bass horns are almost full range and are level 2/2.5 ( I think he said ) with M3 lams . The upper pair for 700Hz to 7000Hz are extra special with level 3 construction ( litz wire secondaries ) and again M3 lams . These are really OK from maybe 200Hz to 'whatever' as far as I remember .
I'm looking forward to comparing the full-range pair , using 2A3's or 6C4C's against Dave Slagle's amorphous core 3K ones I've been using for 3-4 years with the 300B's . Clash of the titans ?

MJ
"Once you find out ... the Circumstances ; then you can go out"
Nick
Site Admin

Post by Nick »

Yep, TBH Mark, what could I add to Buds post other than hope to try and understand 10% of it :-)

However if Bud does come around here again, it might be interesting to get his views on a pair of line output TX's for that balanced DAC stage I built for Ali
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
Ali Tait
Eternally single

Post by Ali Tait »

Oooh, yes please. :)
BudP
User

Post by BudP »

Garble in an autoformer....hmmmmm

Let me first say that much of the problems that concern me are at very low levels. Due to spotted speaker pox (the cause for many of those strenuous arguments on diy) on my speakers, Lowther's included, I am listening to signals down another 50 db or so below the typical coherence floor of loudspeakers. This is a phenomena not well known though such luminaries as John Meyer and Rudy Bozak have commented on it. Even horns and full range panels suffer from this, a problem created by loop back storage mechanisms that interfere with direct radiation.

So my problem with autoformers is 60 to 80 db down from the signal level.My assumption has been that it arises because you have countervailing signals flowing through the same wire at different phase angles. All transformers oscillate while in operation and this provides a less than perfectly out of phase signal transform. Keep in mind that autoformers are not a direct connection, with step down or up, they operate as a transformer but the secondary has been squeezed onto the primary, so all of the problems visited upon isolation transformers are available.

The garble is an underlying deconstruction, something that I expect to hear with the levels of reproduction available, but hear as a, well, garble of the information. Not a distortion as such but a confusion in coherence and intelligability.

Hope this helps a bit. If you purchase an inexpensive kit from my friends at Planet10 Hi Fi with spotted pox drivers (EnABL) you may be able to reproduce this, or not. My most recent experience comes from a development model for Dave Slagle's autoformer TVC designs. I have not heard the commercial version, but these did what I have come to expect. This is not a BIG problem, at - 60 to 80 db, it could not be one.
"You and I and every other thing are a dependent arising, empty of any inherent reality" Tsong Ko Pa
BudP
User

Post by BudP »

However if Bud does come around here again, it might be interesting to get his views on a pair of line output TX's for that balanced DAC stage I built for Ali
Something like this perhaps?
Attachments
Dac Buffer 10148 Data Sheet.pdf
(97.99 KiB) Downloaded 426 times
"You and I and every other thing are a dependent arising, empty of any inherent reality" Tsong Ko Pa
Nick
Site Admin

Post by Nick »

That would be nice. But what I am doing is taking the balanced output + DC offset from a Sabre or AK DAC. Feeding directly into the grid of a pair of triodes (6n6p at the moment, but I feel the need to compare some other valves, but generally around ECC82 land). long tail pair, with option in the cathode circuit to balance DC across the two halfs. Then center tapped TX in the anodes. Sowter 9+9:1 (8650) then to output. Thats it. The circuit is somewhere around, but I am sure you get the idea.
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
BudP
User

Post by BudP »

Yes, different animal entirely.

Spec sheet looks as though the Sowter piece should be very good at what it does. I might be a bit better in low level detail, but Sowter makes very fine transformers and I would be surprised to find a big difference.

Our price might be a bit less, certainly no more than $80 each US and size would be close to the specs shown. Not sure I would recommend you change, unless you were going to build yet another unit. Then you would have a direct comparison without laborious swapping routines.

Bud
Ali Tait
Eternally single

Post by Ali Tait »

Thanks Bud. It would be interesting to compare.
Nick
Site Admin

Post by Nick »

I do have at least one more to build Bud, so I would be interested in getting a pair of yours for comparison purposes. I agree the Sowters are very nice, not expecting anything other than a comparison. Take it via email or PM if you prefer?
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Mike H »

Reality check ~ everything is a compromise!

EDIT: generalised observation only

"No matter how fast light travels it finds that the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it."
andrew Ivimey

Post by andrew Ivimey »

Surely the statement 'everything is a compromise' is NOT a compromise!

So perhaps I tentatively suggest, 'nearly everything is a compromise'. :D
Philosophers have only interpreted the world - the point, however, is to change it. No it isn't ... maybe we should leave it alone for a while.
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Mike H »

That implies at least one thing is not compromised. Which I'm not sure about :D

"No matter how fast light travels it finds that the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it."
andrew Ivimey

Post by andrew Ivimey »

at least one thing is not compromised.
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Mike H »

shall we compromise on that? :lol: