Glasshouse 300b SET

If they glow, this is the place to be
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#1 Glasshouse 300b SET

Post by pre65 »

After Richards rapturous prose (WD forum) on his Glasshouse 300b SET I checked out the circuit on the HFC web site.

http://www.hificollective.co.uk/kits/pd ... t_icrt.pdf

I notice it has a negative supply for the cathode follower which I seem to remember Nick saying was a good idea.

So, has anyone here ever had one, or used this circuit, and if so what opinions ?
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

G-Popz THE easy listening connoisseur. (Philip)
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Mike H »

Can I express an observation if not had one? :D

Ah allows DC coupling without o/p cathode being rediculous high Volts.

"No matter how fast light travels it finds that the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it."
Nick
Site Admin

Post by Nick »

I notice it has a negative supply for the cathode follower which I seem to remember Nick saying was a good idea.
Not so much a good idea, but a essential one if you want to run the output valve cathode at 0v and have the directly coupled grid at a -ve voltage.
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Mike H »

Which WD topic is this?

"No matter how fast light travels it finds that the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it."
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by pre65 »

The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

G-Popz THE easy listening connoisseur. (Philip)
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Mike H »

Oh right, that's the one I just read. Just wondered if there was another one

Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Mike H »

2nd obsvervation ~ it's spookily similar to my first 300B SET I made, loosely based on PSE300, tho that was EF37A > 6SN7 CF, but cap coupled to 300B grid.

Dave the bass
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Dave the bass »

Aaaah! so thats why the CF has a split rail supply.

DTB
"The fat bourgeois and his doppelganger"
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by IslandPink »

My friend Len just bought one 2nd-hand from someone.
I heard it, it's OK, he needs to improve a few dodgy components in there .
I can give you a better assessment in a month or two if you like. I have no reason to believe it'll sound better than C3m>300B though :D

Personally I think with a bit of improvement in the WAD circuit , if you wanted 8W-ish you'd be better with Parallel 2A3's . I have never managed to get any 300B amp to sound as good as a 2A3 or a 211. Of course Paul Barker told us this several years ago !
"Once you find out ... the Circumstances ; then you can go out"
Nick
Site Admin

Post by Nick »

IslandPink wrote: Personally I think with a bit of improvement in the WAD circuit , if you wanted 8W-ish you'd be better with Parallel 2A3's . I have never managed to get any 300B amp to sound as good as a 2A3 or a 211. Of course Paul Barker told us this several years ago !
I did once :-(
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
Dave the bass
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Dave the bass »

Nick wrote:
I did once :-(
What happened?

DTB
"The fat bourgeois and his doppelganger"
Nick
Site Admin

Post by Nick »

I kept changing it, and then realized I had lost the magic several changes back, and never managed to get back to the good place again (yes, I just realsied that sounds like Zero's story), Ali heard it when it was good, it wasn't imaginary.
simon
Thermionic Monk Status

Post by simon »

I was one of the lucky few to hear Steve's 300As in Nick's 300B amp - still the best sound I've ever heard.
Nick
Site Admin

Post by Nick »

The amp you heard the 300a in had passed its peak by then :-(
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Mike H »

IslandPink wrote:My friend Len just bought one 2nd-hand from someone.
I heard it, it's OK, he needs to improve a few dodgy components in there .
I can give you a better assessment in a month or two if you like. I have no reason to believe it'll sound better than C3m>300B though :D

Personally I think with a bit of improvement in the WAD circuit
One possible reason is the EF86. Seems like everything I've done with an EF86 in the front end all sounds like, er well, like it's got an EF86 pentode in the front end. It seems to stamp its own personality on everything.

EF86 is an (by now) old noval "upgrade" (mostly amounts to just make it smaller) on the even older octal EF36.

I was using EF37A (the "super-dooper" version of the latter) and even then I noticed (by measurement) the HF response starting dropping off below 15 kHz :shock:

Maybe 'cause it's got a huge Ra, 2 Megohms in pentode mode.

OTOH it seems to be a quite different pail of whelks triode wired, not too bad acrtually, Ra = 10k, mu = 20. IIRC. Which may be why I've noticed several instances of folks on the web advising using it that way. :?:

There may also be a problem with the paralleled CF, if poss I'd wanna try getting it down to a single triode.