Glasshouse 300b SET

If they glow, this is the place to be
Nick
Site Admin

Post by Nick »

There may also be a problem with the paralleled CF, if poss I'd wanna try getting it down to a single triode.
Why? parallel triodes = doubled gm, half'd output impediance.
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
Ali Tait
Eternally single

Post by Ali Tait »

Nick wrote:I kept changing it, and then realized I had lost the magic several changes back, and never managed to get back to the good place again (yes, I just realsied that sounds like Zero's story), Ali heard it when it was good, it wasn't imaginary.
Yes, I was a witness! Hard to describe exactly what made it so special, but you never forget it once you've heard it. Mesmerising is a word that springs to mind. When we heard it with the 300a's, the sound was indeed very very special- right up there with Jono's 45 amp. What I heard at Nick's that time was even better.
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Mike H »

Some peeps reckon they "interfere with each other"

"No matter how fast light travels it finds that the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it."
Dave the bass
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Dave the bass »

Nick wrote:
There may also be a problem with the paralleled CF, if poss I'd wanna try getting it down to a single triode.
Why? parallel triodes = doubled gm, half'd output impediance.
Ah yeah but no but.... twice the Miller cap too? Although as a CF its not gonna be operating as a gain stage as such I've realised as I've typed this.

Is that my coat over there? I'll go and get it...

DTB
"The fat bourgeois and his doppelganger"
Nick
Site Admin

Post by Nick »

Mike H wrote:Some peeps reckon they "interfere with each other"

For me, I would take lower output impedance over the some peeps rekoning every time :-)

Having said that, I would also us a CCS in the tail.
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Mike H »

Ah! Grains of salt and all that

"No matter how fast light travels it finds that the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it."