Component choice, coupling caps

If they glow, this is the place to be
Chopsaw
User

#1 Component choice, coupling caps

Post by Chopsaw »

I recently replaced the coupling caps in my valve amps ( yes, I've given up on solid state and returned to the fold ) for some Russian mil spec PIOs. I also have some Mundorf Mcaps and I'm considering putting these in for a comparison. Has anyone used these Mundorf caps? Anyone any thoughts on the differences between MKPs and PIOs?
andrew Ivimey
Social Sevices have been notified

Post by andrew Ivimey »

There are good and not so good rushian PIOs - which ones have you?
There are good and excellent Mundorffs but you get what you pay for and they can be very expensive.
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by pre65 »

On Russian caps PIO does not necessarily mean Paper in oil . :shock:
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

G-Popz THE easy listening connoisseur. (Philip)
Chopsaw
User

Post by Chopsaw »

These are them
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Mike H »

I got some look like that, think they might actually be plastic film. Maybe even polystyrene. Could have oil in as well but also plastic film.

I think it's one of those questions where you have to try it and see, we can't know what you'll like or not like the sound of. :D

"No matter how fast light travels it finds that the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it."
captains log
User

Post by captains log »

Hi,

I have used the Mundorf Silver/Gold/Oil caps in a Puresound A30... Very good. Detailed, smooth etc, etc.. used them in a Glowmaster KT88... again excellent results, well recommended. The Jupiter HT cap is also very good, similar results to the Mundorf but not quite as detailed. I have also used the Amtrans resistors.... Excellent....

Regards

JC
Regards

John
Greg
Social outcast

Post by Greg »

K40 type Russian caps (as above) are definitely paper in oil and are generally considered very good for coupling duties.
andrew Ivimey
Social Sevices have been notified

Post by andrew Ivimey »

seconded - I've used quite a lot of these ones.

Mundorffs are better but phew - much more expensive!
Chopsaw
User

Post by Chopsaw »

Thanks lads. The Mundorfs cost me twenty quid so no big deal but they're MKPs not oil. Anyone know the difference? I'm happy with the Ruskies right now and feel they still have more to give. The Ruskies were a bastard to get in being much bigger than the original caps, the Mundorfs are the same size which would make a neater job and that's what was going through my mind.
Rod Coleman
User

#10 Re: Component choice, coupling caps

Post by Rod Coleman »

Chopsaw wrote:I recently replaced the coupling caps in my valve amps ( yes, I've given up on solid state and returned to the fold ) for some Russian mil spec PIOs. I also have some Mundorf Mcaps and I'm considering putting these in for a comparison. Has anyone used these Mundorf caps? Anyone any thoughts on the differences between MKPs and PIOs?
One of the best polypropylenes I know of is the LCR PC/HV/S. These have amazing pulse durability - even to the point of Tesla-coil applications!

This is a real winner from a South Wales company.

In the 300B grid position, I found them to sound at least as good as the old Audio Note/ Jensen copper foil PIO.

Use the 1500V version, even if you don't need the durability.

Best of all, they're cheap, and easily obtained from Farnell:

http://uk.farnell.com/lcr-components/pc ... dp/9520406