Differential signals, is there an alternative to a diff pair

If they glow, this is the place to be
Andrew
Eternally single

#1 Differential signals, is there an alternative to a diff pair

Post by Andrew »

I'm sure there's something to this but I can't see the obvious.

Let's assume we're talking about a fully balanced signal.

Now lets try to amplify it and keep it differential.

We could use a differential pair, of treat each signal as separate single ended signal and amplify it with a normal common cathode or cathode follower, the latter might be useful if we just want drive, not gain.

What's the difference as far as the treatment of the signal is concerned?

Or put another way, what extra does a differential pair do over and above what two common cathodes on an already balanced signal? I know the diff pair can be a phase splitter etc.

Andrew
Nick
Site Admin

Post by Nick »

You avoid a cathode bipass cap. I think there will be some even distortion cancellation, but I can't convince myself its any greater than two separate amps.
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
Andrew
Eternally single

Post by Andrew »

Thanks Nick, that was the same internal debate I was having.

Mostly it related to two design choices and not wanting to limit myself later on.

The first was using bifilar output TX on the phono and if they were useless if I ever decided to do a balanced phono, or even a balanced ouput stage on the phono.

The second and more likely choice, since a balanced LCR ain't gonna be cheap, was how I might use the S&B in a balanced pre with drive configuration. Basically, doubling up on the cathode followers and having the S&B, optionally, do the balanced to single ended on the way out.

All I, or Colin for that matter, since it we were talking about trying this after hearing Little Martha, might need for a balanced pre using TVCs would be a pair of good quality phase splitting input TXs from someone like Sowter.

cheers,

Andrew
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Mike H »

Thinking about it, there's probably 3 or 4 main reasons for using long-tailed pairs

A. it's "fashionable" :D (i.e. looks impressive)

B. in op-amps for supply ripple rejection, but that only works if both the opposing phase signals are taken and used (common mode signals [ripple] null out)

C. for front-ends of tranny power amps so output DC doesn't drift [much] (both BE junctions have same V-drop due to being at the same temperature. Also, ends up a lot like an op-amp)

D. you need to compare two input Voltages (a comparator)

E. there is no E ( © A. I.)

"No matter how fast light travels it finds that the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it."
izzy wizzy
Old Hand

Post by izzy wizzy »

I think LTP or differential pairs have good CMRR to PSU noise and input noise. With the appropriate configuration, I would see this as an advantage. They are also easy to cascade with direct coupling.

Two separate amplifiers will not have the CMRR of a diff arrangement. To me it would seem to be the worst of both worlds - extra complexity and no great increase in CMRR.

Audio Research used to do the later in their balanced stuff but that's no reason to repeat the idea :wink:

cheers,

Stephen
Andrew
Eternally single

Post by Andrew »

OK, chaps, but what if you don't want gain, just drive?

Andrew
Nick
Site Admin

Post by Nick »

Two separate amplifiers will not have the CMRR of a diff arrangement.
Why not? If its common, then its still common even if its two amps.
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
izzy wizzy
Old Hand

Post by izzy wizzy »

Well to my way of thinking, two separate amps will act differently as there's nothing to force symmetry as in an LTP. The might be balanced but they are not differential because the two halves are not linked.

Now if I woz cleverer, I would hope I could bring some science to this or I should I say, I would hope there is some science to back this up but I guess, I could be wrong. It's what the text books say that I got.

cheers,

Stephen
Nick
Site Admin

Post by Nick »

izzy wizzy wrote:
Well to my way of thinking, two separate amps will act differently as there's nothing to force symmetry as in an LTP. The might be balanced but they are not differential because the two halves are not linked.

Now if I woz cleverer, I would hope I could bring some science to this or I should I say, I would hope there is some science to back this up but I guess, I could be wrong. It's what the text books say that I got.

cheers,

Stephen
Yes, I agree with that, but I am not sure (cant find any science either) if the same is true to PSRR. A signal on the anode of both the devices (or cathode) will affect both the same way so the net result will be zero in terms of the difference output signal.
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Mike H »

If you want to drive yourself crazy thinking about long-tailed pairs try one of these ~ like I have been today Image

I'm a teapot, I'm a teapot .....

No I am the reincarnation of Napoleon I and you are all my slaves :D
Attachments
balanced-modulator.gif
balanced-modulator.gif (9.26 KiB) Viewed 4948 times

"No matter how fast light travels it finds that the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it."