The valve challange

If they glow, this is the place to be
Andrew
Eternally single

#1 The valve challange

Post by Andrew »

Hi Gents,

Ok I'm interested in finding a valve for an Aikido type configuration that has similar mu or higher mu to the ECC83, but is more affordable and sounds at least as good or similar to a 6072A. I need gain of about 50 in all; Aikido has a gain of roughly mu/2.

Sadly modern production ECC83 are pants, all bloated bass, no idea about "yer best telefunkens/mullards" coz I'm way to tight to spend that much on finding out.

It doesn't have to be a dual triode, and base/heater specifics not important. I would prefer 6.3v heaters but could accomodate others. Hey it could even be a pentode connected triode, a 6GU5 is something I'm mentally toying with at the mo.

My only concern is that Miller cap increases with mu but some of these things, well you just just gotta try, haven't you?

Thoughts ideas etc.

cheers,

-- Andrew
Last edited by Andrew on Thu May 24, 2007 9:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
simon
Thermionic Monk Status

Post by simon »

Hi Andrew,

I found Mullards to sound a lot nicer than modern Svets and Ei, they transformed my Loftin White.

Dunno about alternatives, but I did pick up some 6N2Ps for a rainy day - they cost pennies. Don't know how they sound, but they have a mu of 100 and 6.3V heaters - supposed to be a near equivalent to ECC83. I'll probably never get around to using them - you're welcome to try them, I can bring a couple to Owston if you're interested.

Simon.
Andrew
Eternally single

Post by Andrew »

Hi Simon,

Thanks.

Well the amp is wired for the ECC8 B9A family so assuming the pin out is the same then this might be worth a try.

Wikipedia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/6N2P say the Sovtek current production 12AX7WA is in derived from the 6N2P-EV. I'll bring down my Sovteks and we can do a comparison, if there's time, they seem to be the best of the bunch. The EI Elites are OK, but the Chinese ones really are pants in the bass all wobblllyy.

cheers,

-- Andrew
Andrew
Eternally single

#4 Re: The valve challange

Post by Andrew »

Andrew wrote:Hi Gents,

Ok I'm interested in finding a valve for an Aikido type configuration that has similar mu or higher mu to the ECC83, but is more affordable and sounds at least as good or similar to a 6072A. I need gain of about 50 in all; Aikido has a gain of roughly mu/2.

Sadly modern production ECC83 are pants, all bloated bass, no idea about "yer best telefunkens/mullards" coz I'm way to tight to spend that much on finding out.

It doesn't have to be a dual triode, and base/heater specifics not important. I would prefer 6.3v heaters but could accomodate others. Hey it could even be a pentode connected triode, a 6GU5 is something I'm mentally toying with at the mo.

My only concern is that Miller cap increases with mu but some of these things, well you just just gotta try it, haven't you?

Thoughts ideas etc.

cheers,

-- Andrew
simon
Thermionic Monk Status

Post by simon »

Hi Andrew,

Okay, be interesting to see if they're any good. I'll bring the Mullards too.

Simon.
andrew Ivimey
Social Sevices have been notified

Post by andrew Ivimey »

hello you two, you'll have to re-solder the heater connections as you can't just plug in one type, rip it out and plug in the other.

I tried them (in Loftin White); that 'hard and glassy' sound that I now associate with all valves Russian.
simon
Thermionic Monk Status

Post by simon »

Hello you too, Andrew.

Must be honest, I haven't checked the datasheet :oops: . They actually were cheaper than chips so I'm not surprised they may not be audio nirvana. I'll have to give them a try Aikidoed driving 300Bs sometime and compare them to Mullard ECC83s...