PERSPEX QUASAR ver 2.0 prototype build

Dedicated to those large boxes at one end of the room
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

#46 Re: PERSPEX QUASAR ver 2.0 prototype build

Post by IslandPink »

Nick tells me he's run them for all of 20mins so far !
"Once you find out ... the Circumstances ; then you can go out"
The Stratmangler
Shed dweller

#47 Re: PERSPEX QUASAR ver 2.0 prototype build

Post by The Stratmangler »

Only a couple of years continuous run in to go then 8)
It's no wonder they don't do it ...
Chris :happy3:
Ray P
No idea why I do this anymore

#48 Re: PERSPEX QUASAR ver 2.0 prototype build

Post by Ray P »

Acknowledging that I have a vested interest, having purchased a pair of the same units...

Having heard my own Lii Fast 10 units, albeit in far from ideal circumstances (alone and through pieces of cardboard acting as crude baffles), it's obvious to me that they have potential, so I'm not going to place too much weight on these initial observations; I think it's a bit unfair to declare that 'they don't do it...' on the basis of a short listen to new drivers in an unfinished project. IIRC, Nick purchased the Supravox bass helpers 'used' so they presumably have some mileage clocked up?

It might also be that there is a marmite factor - I know the speakers that Colin brought to the last Owston had a 'voice' that wouldn't suit me?

I suggest patience is a virtue
Last edited by Ray P on Tue Jun 02, 2020 9:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sorry, I couldn't resist!
chris661
Shed dweller

#49 Re: PERSPEX QUASAR ver 2.0 prototype build

Post by chris661 »

IslandPink wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 10:00 pm Nick tells me he's run them for all of 20mins so far !
When I first got my FE126E drivers, they had about 10 hours on them IIRC, from Dave @P10's processing & treatments - short break-in period before pair-matching.

They sounded thin and harsh out of the box, so I left them playing (cabinets face-to-face, one wired backwards) Radiohead's 15 Step on loop, with the bass EQ turned right up, while I was out at school/college. The amount of cone movement on a 4.5" driver was quite impressive.

For the first week, each time I got home I'd have a listen and there'd be an obvious improvement to the sound. This would've been after about 7 hours of thrashing at a time.
Over the second week, it was more subtle.

There's no guarantee that these Lii drivers will be the same - I'm just pointing out that it's within the realms of possibility that double-digits of hours at high excursions will improve the sound considerably.

Chris
Paul Barker
Social Sevices have been notified

#50 Re: PERSPEX QUASAR ver 2.0 prototype build

Post by Paul Barker »

chris661 wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 8:54 pm Just a thought, Colin, that the Lii drivers might be like the Fostex FE range, which needed a good thrashing (I played the FE126Es with music with lots of bass aiming for ~5mm p/p cone travel for hours on end) before they got close to acceptable.

There's also the option of putting some foam between the whizzer and main cone to dampen whizzer resonances. IIRC Dave at Planet10 found that improved things.

I remember being impressed by the 8" Tang Band drivers that I heard at your place a good few years ago - time flies.

Cheers,
Chris
One of the Lowther patches was to stick a ring of cotton wool on outside of whizer at edge. Different fixes for different issues on different drivers, but worth knowing.
"Two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I am not yet completely sure about the universe." – Albert Einstein
The Stratmangler
Shed dweller

#51 Re: PERSPEX QUASAR ver 2.0 prototype build

Post by The Stratmangler »

Ray P wrote: Tue Jun 02, 2020 6:42 am Acknowledging that I have a vested interest, having purchased a pair of the same units...

Having heard my own Lii Fast 10 units, albeit in far from ideal circumstances (alone and through pieces of cardboard acting as crude baffles), it's obvious to me that they have potential, so I'm not going to place too much weight on these initlal observations; I think it's a bit unfair to declare that 'they don't do it...' on the basis of a short listen to new drivers in an unfinished project. IIRC, Nick purchased the Supravox bass helpers 'used' so they presumably have some mileage clocked up?

It might also be that there is a marmite factor - I know the speakers that Colin brought to the last Owston had a 'voice' that wouldn't suit me?

I suggest patience is a virtue
I hope yours do what you want them to.
I hope that Nick can get them to do what he wants.

As has been mentioned, I'm not fond of wide band drivers with whizzers.
That remains unchanged.
Chris :happy3:
Nick
Site Admin

#52 Re: PERSPEX QUASAR ver 2.0 prototype build

Post by Nick »

The clue is in the title "prototype build"
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
Toppsy
Shed dweller

#53 Re: PERSPEX QUASAR ver 2.0 prototype build

Post by Toppsy »

The 'prototype speakers' are now finished and I have assembled the parallel filter on some spare board ready for when Nick comes around. The series XO is simply a shunted inductor across the Fast10s terminals and a cap shunted across the Supravox, so don't need any special pre-mounting when we do the testing and experimenting.

I updated Nick yesterday and he is hoping to pop over to Topps Towers Friday afternoon. Should be fun.
Ray P
No idea why I do this anymore

#54 Re: PERSPEX QUASAR ver 2.0 prototype build

Post by Ray P »

Excellent workmanship in evidence as always Colin.
Sorry, I couldn't resist!
Paul Barker
Social Sevices have been notified

#55 Re: PERSPEX QUASAR ver 2.0 prototype build

Post by Paul Barker »

Well done prototyping so fast.
"Two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I am not yet completely sure about the universe." – Albert Einstein
JohnG
Old Hand

#56 Re: PERSPEX QUASAR ver 2.0 prototype build

Post by JohnG »

This is a better location to find my following post.

Hi Nick
I was quite impressed with a Quasar Design at Owston and you was very communicative with me about the design and offered good quality information in support of it.
The fact you have stuck very close to the design principles speaks volumes for your support for this concept.
I'm looking forward to your thread for the reports on the impressions made and how you choose to evolve the design.
Nick
Site Admin

#57 Re: PERSPEX QUASAR ver 2.0 prototype build

Post by Nick »

Had a listen to these today. Have high hopes. The Lii's don’t go anywhere near 20k though. They run out before my ears do. But that not withstanding they have potential. We added a super tweeter and they sounded very good. May be some wizzer mods in order, but more running needed first.
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

#58 Re: PERSPEX QUASAR ver 2.0 prototype build

Post by IslandPink »

Good, my own assumption on these is they would never do the upper treble properly, my system would always involve a tweeter of some sort.
"Once you find out ... the Circumstances ; then you can go out"
JohnG
Old Hand

#59 Re: PERSPEX QUASAR ver 2.0 prototype build

Post by JohnG »

Good to hear the first impressions are promising.
Yourself and Colin will undoubtedly endeavour to discover the solutions to deliver to your personal requirements.
From my end it sounds like a long time in the making and excitable venture is now being undertaken.
The Ship has definitely left the Port :lol:
Nick
Site Admin

#60 Re: PERSPEX QUASAR ver 2.0 prototype build

Post by Nick »

Another option for the full range driver was suggested by Scott, Lowther pm6a wilver would. What does the panel think?

https://lowtherloudspeakers.com/wp-cont ... f/pm6a.pdf