Fane 15" full range speaker

Dedicated to those large boxes at one end of the room
Scottmoose
Needs to get out more

#31 Re: Fane 15" full range speaker

Post by Scottmoose »

I refer you to my above. I am not interested in your opinions Richard, of audio (or of me), and will not discuss it with you.
'"That'll do," comes the cry of the perfectionist down the ages.' (James May The Reassembler)
Website www.wodendesign.com
Community sites www.frugal-horn.com & www.frugal-phile.com
Dr Bunsen Honeydew
Old Hand

#32 Re: Fane 15" full range speaker

Post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

Will you discuss it with Steve, he is quite capable of putting my points, and his own, about using music to design and using music to describe.
Nick
Site Admin

#33 Re: Fane 15" full range speaker

Post by Nick »

What has that load of bollocks got to do with music?
Not a lot but its a lot to do with the size of boxes those drivers need which is the topic.
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
Scottmoose
Needs to get out more

#34 Re: Fane 15" full range speaker

Post by Scottmoose »

Right, which in turn affects how they reproduce the signal fed to them. Or to put it another way, 'how they sound'.

I rarely bother stating that outright except when talking with people completely new to speaker design, because box size affecting the behaviour and resulting sound is such a basic fact that anybody else who claims not to understand is being deliberately obtuse.
'"That'll do," comes the cry of the perfectionist down the ages.' (James May The Reassembler)
Cressy Snr
Amstrad Tower of Power

#35 Re: Fane 15" full range speaker

Post by Cressy Snr »

Yes, box size is important as it determines what comes out, as is choosing the right driver for what you want.
Using the Fane 12 I've already done as an example, I wouldn't have chosen it if I'd wanted a speaker that flapped your trousers.
What I was after was a driver that could do almost full range (low bass excepted) without the need for a tweeter.
I still think that FR drivers do something with music that most multiple driver arrays dont do.
Whether it is lack of crossover that is the factor, who knows?

What I do think, however is that the peaky, shouty squawkers some of us, including me were showing off at meets 10 years ago were, to put it mildly, er.....not that good, despite many of us fooling ourselves into thinking we were hearing pure music. The expensive stuff such as the drivers James and Mark were using actually were some good, and the ones that really did it for me, were the German field coil drivers Will was using in his baffles....absolutely fabberoony. :) I could have listened to those all day long.

Now these big pro Fanes promised much in their blurb, and they actually do deliver....AS LONG AS you accept that you can't have low bass. Once you accept that, the box size becomes manageable and you can use the 80Hz or so natural lift from the higher than strictly correct Q sealed alignment, and combine it with the room lift lower down, from near wall or corner placement, to your advantage. The slower roll off compared to a ported speaker is now working with the room to give a even nice bottom end.

OK so 20odd dB down at 30Hz aint gonna cut it with some folks but manageable box size and high efficiency are incompatible with ultimate low end extension.
What I'm saying to the doubters is to forget the obsession with bass, forget the computer simulations and listen to what these drivers do with music. They're not perfect, no speaker is, but if you have a similar outlook to me re music reproduction then they are an unbeatable speaker for the money.
As I've said anyone passing is welcome to come and listen to what I'm talking about.
Sgt. Baker started talkin’ with a Bullhorn in his hand.
Dr Bunsen Honeydew
Old Hand

#36 Re: Fane 15" full range speaker

Scottmoose wrote: Sun May 13, 2018 12:01 pm Right, which in turn affects how they reproduce the signal fed to them. Or to put it another way, 'how they sound'.
So how did Steve make that decision, by applying your bullshit or making an empirical logical decision, and then using his ears listening to music.
Scottmoose
Needs to get out more

#37 Re: Fane 15" full range speaker

Post by Scottmoose »

For the third time: I will not discuss audio with you, Richard.
Dr Bunsen Honeydew
Old Hand

#38 Re: Fane 15" full range speaker

You are weird - this is a public forum, I am not talking TO you I am talking ABOUT you. Are such an egotist that you think you are the only one here. Only you and Steve are allowed to post and I am just an interruption.
chris661
Shed dweller

#39 Re: Fane 15" full range speaker

Post by chris661 »

Gents, this thread is in peril of being derailed, as too many have before it. You've had spats before, and neither of you will say anything new that might change the views of the other.
The "ignore" function works very well on this forum, and I'd recommend its use.

I'm hoping to go and have a listen to the Fane 12"s some time soon - turns out Steve's not far from me.
I might take some measurement gear round, or maybe some live multi-track recordings to play with. I do find you get a very good feel for a system if you try to mix on it. If you can hear the difference of some compressor settings on Rack Tom 2 while the whole mix is playing, you've got a system that really gets down into the details - a Very Good Thing.

Chris
Scottmoose
Needs to get out more

#40 Re: Fane 15" full range speaker

Post by Scottmoose »

I cannot be any clearer than I have been three times already. I will not discuss audio with you, Richard. I will discuss it with the people I wish to. Think what you like, abuse me all you like if that's what makes you happy. I do not care about your opinions on audio, or about me.
Dr Bunsen Honeydew
Old Hand

#41 Re: Fane 15" full range speaker

AND for the fourth time I am not discussing with you I am talking about you and your ideas on a public thread on a public forum. You have presented them in this thread, so made them on topic. I have just been trying to understand the reasoning behind them when all Steve wants to do is create a speaker to give him the most musical enjoyment - so you give him a pile of gobble de gook that seems to help no one. Opening this out into wider involvement in the discussion, can anyone here relate that nonsense to music you are hearing, how will applying it make Steve enjoy his music more.

Nick says it helps to decide the size of the box, that maybe, but in my opinion a bit of common sense and experience, which Steve has, is worth far more. It seems to me Steve understands KISS and is applying it as it seems nothing could be simpler than a sealed box, a full range driver and a couple of bits of wire and terminals cannot be made any simpler (no mechanical or electrical filter to screw up the music), do you seriously think your daft equations and tech read outs will help make it any simpler. Looks good to!
Dr Bunsen Honeydew
Old Hand

#42 Re: Fane 15" full range speaker

chris661 wrote: Sun May 13, 2018 3:14 pm Gents, this thread is in peril of being derailed, as too many have before it. You've had spats before, and neither of you will say anything new that might change the views of the other.
The "ignore" function works very well on this forum, and I'd recommend its use.

I'm hoping to go and have a listen to the Fane 12"s some time soon - turns out Steve's not far from me.
I might take some measurement gear round, or maybe some live multi-track recordings to play with. I do find you get a very good feel for a system if you try to mix on it. If you can hear the difference of some compressor settings on Rack Tom 2 while the whole mix is playing, you've got a system that really gets down into the details - a Very Good Thing.

Chris
What makes you think adding that stuff in the signal path will make things better in music or understanding. The only thing likely is you will drive the NVA circuit unstable, this is not nor has it ever been a pro amp, it is a music amp it gets out the way of the music and you want to shove a load of nonsense up it.
Cressy Snr
Amstrad Tower of Power

#43 Re: Fane 15" full range speaker

Post by Cressy Snr »

My speaker projects don't half seem to cause controversy. I often wonder why that is?
I seem to be the only person that gets this kind of attention.
Doesn't bother bother me anymore, so don't stop, because it makes entertaining reading, but it would be interesting for me, to know what it actually is about what I put, that causes it. :)
I don't do it on purpose...honest.
Sgt. Baker started talkin’ with a Bullhorn in his hand.
Scottmoose
Needs to get out more

#44 Re: Fane 15" full range speaker

Post by Scottmoose »

TBH Steve, I can't think of anything that is controversial about what you're doing. It / they are 'just' classical large sealed boxes with large wideband drivers. Quite popular in the US during the late 1950 - early '60s. A bit like these (OK, yours aren't quite so large, but they're still large sealed boxes).
Attachments
Large sealed box.PNG
Dr Bunsen Honeydew
Old Hand

#45 Re: Fane 15" full range speaker

Cressy Snr wrote: Sun May 13, 2018 4:38 pm My speaker projects don't half seem to cause controversy. I often wonder why that is?
I seem to be the only person that gets this kind of attention.
Doesn't bother bother me anymore, so don't stop, because it makes entertaining reading, but it would be interesting for me, to know what it actually is about what I put, that causes it. :)
I don't do it on purpose...honest.
Its not you, if that nonsense had been on another thread I would have commented as well. It is like a red flag to a bull.

AND note Steve has taken it further than the early speakers, made it more simple, no wadding or internal case dampening, just solid ply and a brace. the corner cabs will be even better, more stable and stiffer. If I was to interfere or do it myself I would add a different second 15 inch or 12 inch driver, doped - so just for bass, as near to the bottom of the cab as poss a la Allison. But what the hell it will be great as it is.

AND being corner mount it will naturally be semi omni.