Monacor SP-310CX Coaxial Driver MLTL's

Dedicated to those large boxes at one end of the room
Toppsy
Shed dweller

#16 Re: Monacor SP-310CX Coaxial Driver MLTL's

Post by Toppsy »

Update for those following the thread:
Both cabinets are now finished and waxed. Though I carefully damped the veneer paper just sufficiently to whet out the paper to remove it, it did leave a little glue residue on the veneer. This only became visible after the veneer had fully dried after removing the tape. However, with carefully sanding using some 180 grit sanding paper I managed to remove the glue residue. The results of the waxing are quite pleasing. I applied a couple coats of my favourite wood polish - Liberon Black Bison Wax Polish (Neutral) - this has given a wonderful sheen finish to the Maple. I'm going to have to try this method of finishing on other builds me thinks.

Whilst waiting the 2-days after veneering to allow the impact adhesive to fully harden and before removing the veneer tape I made up one of the grille frames and covered this in black acoustic cloth. I'm really pleased how this has turned out. Looks really great me thinks. Just need to machine up the other now.

Here are some photos of the finished cabinets.

The drivers should be delivered later this morning so I can get them mounted and wired up. Unfortunately I am still awaiting the XO components from HFC. This should be delivered within the next 5-days. So in the meantime I'll hook up the speakers to the coaxial MR and HF outputs of my 3-ways baffles as these speakers use the same coax driver. At least I can get a feel how they will sound so LF will be curbed some due to the filter used.Still at least it will allow some break in of the drivers.
andrew Ivimey
Social Sevices have been notified

#17 Re: Monacor SP-310CX Coaxial Driver MLTL's

Post by andrew Ivimey »

Well Shod.
Philosophers have only interpreted the world - the point, however, is to change it. No it isn't ... maybe we should leave it alone for a while.
Cressy Snr
Amstrad Tower of Power

#18 Re: Monacor SP-310CX Coaxial Driver MLTL's

Post by Cressy Snr »

Niiiiice :D

And still, us owners of non-normal hardware have to lie on our sides to fully appreciate the workmanship. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Pesky Apple.
Sgt. Baker started talkin’ with a Bullhorn in his hand.
Toppsy
Shed dweller

#19 Re: Monacor SP-310CX Coaxial Driver MLTL's

Post by Toppsy »

Cressy Snr wrote: Tue May 15, 2018 10:54 am Niiiiice :D

And still, us owners of non-normal hardware have to lie on our sides to fully appreciate the workmanship. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Pesky Apple.
Hadn't realised that Steve. I have taken these photos on my new Samsung Galaxy mobile phone portrait mode but when I open them up on my laptop (W10) using Microsoft Office Picture Manager I have to rotate them 90 deg to get them the right way up. They appear correct on my laptopand on the thread. They also appear correct when I view and open the thread on my mobile.

Does anyone else have this issue? Perhaps I should not rotate them?
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#20 Re: Monacor SP-310CX Coaxial Driver MLTL's

Post by pre65 »

No problems with W10 and Google Chrome. :)
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

G-Popz THE easy listening connoisseur. (Philip)
Toppsy
Shed dweller

#21 Re: Monacor SP-310CX Coaxial Driver MLTL's

Post by Toppsy »

OK. Thanks Phil. Must just be Apple users then.
Cressy Snr
Amstrad Tower of Power

#22 Re: Monacor SP-310CX Coaxial Driver MLTL's

Post by Cressy Snr »

Toppsy wrote: Tue May 15, 2018 6:22 pm OK. Thanks Phil. Must just be Apple users then.
It's a plot by Bill Gates I tell you......A PLOT! :lol:
Greg
Social outcast

#23 Re: Monacor SP-310CX Coaxial Driver MLTL's

Post by Greg »

Sideways for me too. Another Apple :roll:
Toppsy
Shed dweller

#24 Re: Monacor SP-310CX Coaxial Driver MLTL's

Post by Toppsy »

Finally managed to find the time to complete these speakers, with today making the second of the grilles.

The XO components were delivered Friday morning but it wasn't until Saturday night when I had some spare time I built the XO filters and mounted the components on some spare 3mm ply boards. As access inside the cabinets is limited to the large through hole for the driver I decided to make separate LF and HF filter boards. Both boards measure 150mm x 70mm as the circuit Scott has designed for these is quite simple with minimal count components. Components are fixed in place using cable ties and/or hot melt glue. All hard wired. The boards easily mount on the inside of the side walls either side the driver access.

Most of last week I have had the speakers running and hooked up to the coax filter element of the 3-way baffles. I know this filter is not optimised for the box speakers but I was very surprised just how good that combo sounded. So much so I thought to myself...umm perhaps I had been a little hasty in offering this design as a free DIY build it sounds that good. Having now installed the correct filter they sound even better. Chris has always said he would like to hear these drivers in a box cabinet as he expected this would improve the bass output considerably over the OB bass performance when we had them in some test baffles as stand alone drivers. Well Chris I can wholeheartedly tell you the bass goes very low, plenty of midrange detail and the treble is oh so good with plenty of air and all the detail we hear on the OB speakers. I reckon these Monacor Coax drivers are a match for any the Tannoy Dual Concentric drivers and could perhaps be better as they will work in a much smaller and simpler box design. The required filter is also much simpler than any the Tannoy Dual Concentric requires so a win-win situation. These speakers will be going to Owston so folk can judge for themselves.

I hope the photo below orientates correctly for Apple as well as W10 and other operating platforms. It was taken on my trusty Canon digital camera with no rotation of the image.

Scottmoose
Needs to get out more

#25 Re: Monacor SP-310CX Coaxial Driver MLTL's

Post by Scottmoose »

Lovely work as always Colin. :)
'"That'll do," comes the cry of the perfectionist down the ages.' (James May The Reassembler)
Website www.wodendesign.com
Community sites www.frugal-horn.com & www.frugal-phile.com
Cressy Snr
Amstrad Tower of Power

#26 Re: Monacor SP-310CX Coaxial Driver MLTL's

Post by Cressy Snr »

FFS it's upside down now! :x

Just kidding Colin, the image is correctly oriented.
Great job there. :D
Ali Tait
Eternally single

#27 Re: Monacor SP-310CX Coaxial Driver MLTL's

Post by Ali Tait »

Look good Colin, like to hear these sometime.
Toppsy
Shed dweller

#28 Re: Monacor SP-310CX Coaxial Driver MLTL's

Post by Toppsy »

Ali Tait wrote: Sun May 20, 2018 6:27 pm Look good Colin, like to hear these sometime.
Well now Ali,
I note you are coming down for David's Yorkshire hifi meet. Not sure what your travel arrangements are but if you fancy coming down the Friday night you can stay over my place and Chris you and me can then travel down to David's the Saturday? That way you can have a listen to the speakers and give me an opinion and feedback.
ed
retired

#29 Re: Monacor SP-310CX Coaxial Driver MLTL's

Post by ed »

Scottmoose wrote: Sun May 20, 2018 4:47 pm Lovely work as always Colin. :)

why the soft focus Colin?, that's usually reserved for ugly wimmins...

seriously though, shoddy!
There's nowhere you can be that isn't where you're meant to be
Ali Tait
Eternally single

#30 Re: Monacor SP-310CX Coaxial Driver MLTL's

Post by Ali Tait »

Toppsy wrote: Sun May 20, 2018 7:47 pm
Ali Tait wrote: Sun May 20, 2018 6:27 pm Look good Colin, like to hear these sometime.
Well now Ali,
I note you are coming down for David's Yorkshire hifi meet. Not sure what your travel arrangements are but if you fancy coming down the Friday night you can stay over my place and Chris you and me can then travel down to David's the Saturday? That way you can have a listen to the speakers and give me an opinion and feedback.
That would be grand, thanks Colin. Will give you a shout and let you know what time etc.