Old Hand

#31 Re: Something Stirs in the Workshop

Post by vinylnvalves »

A3398B47-F727-45B1-91DD-BEB325F17786.jpeg
vinylnvalves
Old Hand

#32 Re: Something Stirs in the Workshop

Post by vinylnvalves »

Any thoughts ..... before I get out my router and trim the horns... :? :?
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

#33 Re: Something Stirs in the Workshop

Post by IslandPink »

Aarg ! Pressure.
What's in the tweeter below ?
If you put the mid horn forward to where the diaphragms are aligned, you will get shading of the tweeter unless you lift it up or trim the bottom, as I think you've attempted to show but I can guess the method. If you align the mouths , there's still some diffraction of the HF coming around the lip of the mid horn lower edge, but you can in principle get the horns closer together. The downside of doing this and aligning phase with the DSP at crossover is that the frequencies above and below crossover will end up lobed off axis as the phase goes in and out of synch ( because the path length is not a round number of wavelengths any more ) . How audible this will be I don't know. It seems to me , before you trim the horn, it's a good time to try both alignments ( OK there are two rounds of DSP adjustment ) so you can decide properly and not worry about it afterwards. It must be a lot less time to do this than the time you've already spent on making these horns :D
"Once you find out ... the Circumstances ; then you can go out"
steve s
Shed dweller

#34 Re: Something Stirs in the Workshop

Post by steve s »

Looķs good Steve, as Mark says you need to get the alignment, but you will already have planned that.
Keep up the good work
The tube manual is quite like a telephone book. The number of it perfect. It is useful to make it possible to speak with a girl. But we can't see her beautiful face from the telephone number
vinylnvalves
Old Hand

#35 Re: Something Stirs in the Workshop

Post by vinylnvalves »

I currently cannot just connect up the new horns. I am waiting for some aluminium to finish off the throat adaptors. I have however played with the existing horns moving them around and felt that having the mouths in line using delay in the DSP sounded best to my ears anyway. (I can always machine a prosthetic lip on the CNC should I decide I don’t like truncated horns.

I am currently trying the convince my partner in crime “Dave” that we should go for the wigwam show next March... Gives me a goal over the winter. Just need to check if they have any big rooms.
vinylnvalves
Old Hand

#36 Re: Something Stirs in the Workshop

Post by vinylnvalves »

Horns all blinged up... adaptor plates machined, Just waiting to the stands to be painted.
2021C959-A975-4001-8401-AE79CC130038.jpeg
The attachment 43889A12-AFEA-4113-A5D6-90B1E786F2FC.jpeg is no longer available
The attachment 2021C959-A975-4001-8401-AE79CC130038.jpeg is no longer available
vinylnvalves
Old Hand

#37 Re: Something Stirs in the Workshop

Post by vinylnvalves »

31F6380F-44AD-42AE-94A8-A88B8315E4AA.jpeg
vinylnvalves
Old Hand

#38 Re: Something Stirs in the Workshop

Post by vinylnvalves »

2BD70E0C-86EC-4F81-AD2D-00472C201083.jpeg
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

#39 Re: Something Stirs in the Workshop

Post by IslandPink »

Wow - you're not kidding ! :D
But they do look heroic, which is very fitting.
Dave the bass
Amstrad Tower of Power

#40 Re: Something Stirs in the Workshop

Post by Dave the bass »

I like these speakers.... but...there's something very 'bum-like' about the shape! :)
"The fat bourgeois and his doppelganger"
vinylnvalves
Old Hand

#41 Re: Something Stirs in the Works

Post by vinylnvalves »

New horns installed... lifting them JBL 2482’s is not a one man job. Nearly changed to the bms4592’s. Not much equalisation required, they just seem to be 9db louder than the tractrix ones, they are 200mm longer. Played a couple of tracks that have bits that horns don’t like with “shh” bits in, and the pronounced “shh” is much reduced. Will have to have a proper listen in a evening next week, maybe do some final tweaks. What next... new taller bass cabinets integrating the TPL’s in.
0E5BBD3D-3F45-434B-981B-7BE7E03C5263.jpeg
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

#42 Re: Something Stirs in the Workshop

Post by IslandPink »

Taking shape nicely. Glad you got some improvements on vocals. Very interesting work.
vinylnvalves
Old Hand

#43 Re: Something Stirs in the Workshop

Post by vinylnvalves »

Sitting here listening properly for the first time to my “golden bum cheeks” - as they are known as in my house. I am finding I can turn the volume down a few dB and still get the same listening experience as before. Whether that a sign of an improvement in SQ I don’t know. I am not listening to the acoustic guitar and vocal stuff either, Dr John - Gris Gris.

I have noticed I have lost some directional control though compared to the round ones, Maybe I should have gone for SEOS profiles, who knows. I will enjoy these for some time, before changing again.
simon
Thermionic Monk Status

#44 Re: Something Stirs in the Workshop

Post by simon »

I think they'd have to sound pretty poor not to be able to listen to them - they're magnificent! If a little bum like.
vinylnvalves
Old Hand

#45 Re: Something Stirs in the Workshop

Post by vinylnvalves »

I am getting worried I may be following Mark... in ditching the horns. I recently got hold of a pair of midrange AMT’s, which I am going to be trialing as a potential replacement for my midrange horns. However before I connect them up I need to get some protection capacitors. I am wanting to protect from around 200hz. With an Re of 4.7 ohms the protection I need some large capacitors >150 uf. Any recommendations for capacitors. I don’t really want to pay Audio film cap prices, any good bipolar electrolytics any one can recommend, for testing. If the AMTs live up to expectations, will then use lots of motor run ones in parallel.