MY own OB speaker project

Dedicated to those large boxes at one end of the room
Ali Tait
Eternally single

#91 Re: MY own OB speaker project

Post by Ali Tait »

Must admit, I thought they sounded better with the Monacor 10” coax.
Toppsy
Shed dweller

#92 Re: MY own OB speaker project

Post by Toppsy »

Ali Tait wrote: Sun Nov 18, 2018 5:58 pm Must admit, I thought they sounded better with the Monacor 10” coax.
Can't argue with you there Ali.
However, the 3-way with the 10" coax are more expensive in drivers and OX components. The 2-ways were developed for those on a budget.

Not having listened to the 2-ways for quite some time, and then spending most this afternoon reinforcing my listening experience of them I reckon anyone not being familiar with the 3-ways, would be really impressed with them especially if one is on a budget. Like most things in life though you gets what you pays for and the extra expense is, as we would both agree, well worth paying.
Ali Tait
Eternally single

#93 Re: MY own OB speaker project

Post by Ali Tait »

Yep, not to say the two way was poor, like you say, great VFM.
Ray P
No idea why I do this anymore

#94 Re: MY own OB speaker project

Post by Ray P »

Seeing the recent fluury of posts about the Monacor SP-310CX Coaxial Driver MLTL's reminded me of this project. Just wondering what became of it?

Some time I still plan to try the OB road and had this as a possible candidate. I'm wondering about an active crossover then flea power OTL amps.
Sorry, I couldn't resist!
Toppsy
Shed dweller

#95 Re: MY own OB speaker project

Post by Toppsy »

Hi Ray,
After I had completed the frame modifications and taken them to Owston I was expecting some interest from folk but alas only Ali expressed any real interest in the design but was constrained at the time with living in temporary accommodation and not having a suitable room to house them. I know you had shown interest and stated you were following the experiments with great interest but it ended there.

I decided not to push the design any further since no one had expressed a interest in wanting to either audition the speakers or intent on building a pair. Also from a commercial point of view the frames for the OB's would really need to be CNC fabricated requiring quite a large initial investment and then the speakers would be appealing for a relative minor group of hifi enthusiasts. So I decided to dismantle these speakers and store them up in my loft and there they have remained to this day.

I may revisit this design with a view of finishing off the prototype plywood frames with a coat or two of matt black paint and some damping of the inside of the side frames. Maybe stiffening the side frames.

At Owston, SteveS said he could hear some bleeding of the sound through the 10mm slot gaps between the panels and suggested closing this gap would improve them further? So if I do revisit these speakers that is also something I may (or may not) experiment with.
Ray P
No idea why I do this anymore

#96 Re: MY own OB speaker project

Post by Ray P »

OK Colin, thanks for the update; I understand why you've 'parked' the project and maybe I should have followed up more at the time.

It's not time for a speaker project yet so probably best if I open a new thread when I get around to it; I can borrow from your experience with this project but I think I'm going to need more input from the panel. My OTL amps are very low power and currently optimised for 15ohm Lowthers so some thinking will be required - my original starting place for an OB project was the Lowther-America 'Large Open Baffle using a 16ohm bass unit and 15ohm Lowther.

Anyway, I'm currently reading about the Nelson Pass active crossover kit that's available from the DIY Audio store as it looks ideal for an OB project.
Sorry, I couldn't resist!