A New Semi-Omni

Dedicated to those large boxes at one end of the room
Cressy Snr
Amstrad Tower of Power

#1 A New Semi-Omni

Post by Cressy Snr »

Right then, I tilted my head and an all new semi-omni speaker fell out of my ear fully formed.

Drivers are settled on.
We are already familiar with two of them from my previous adventures with the OmniMet and the Flatback Banned speakers; I mean if it ain't broke and all that...

I am developing a nice little range of speaker designs and now have three:
  • the forward firing straight upright Metronome QW design
  • the low profile semi-omni Flatback Banned speaker (this supersedes the OmniMet, which is a whole load of hassle and has no advantage over the flatty to justify the aggro involved in building it)
  • the new one I will talk about in this thread
This one is a larger, three way, using sealed box loading with sealed bass enclosure containing front-firing driver, right at floor level and a seperate sealed, up-firing mid/ forward firing treble enclosure sitting on the top of the bass box.
This, as is now normal for me, is designed to sit against the wall and use the room as part of its signature.
Sgt. Baker started talkin’ with a Bullhorn in his hand.
Greg
Social outcast

#2 Re: A New Semi-Omni

Post by Greg »

Steve, I hate this situation, but I'm not sure you are getting what others might think about your latest speaker designs, maybe because there has been a lack of honest expression. Of course, in your home they may sound wonderful, but frankly, at Owston they didn't connect with me (maybe it was just me). I thought your 'Banned' speakers were very out of balance with a very recessed midrange and a flabby bass and a total lack of punch. Of course, at home they may be totally different, but at Owston they really were a shadow of your big Mets that I last heard and very originally enthused about. It seems that Dave continues to enjoy them accordingly.

I'm really not wanting to upset you. I just want you to think it through carefully. In my view, the route you are now taking is a backwards move. Your original Met had dynamics, pace, extension, detail and a real sound authority. I've said before, disregarding the tweeter helper, the very best and absolutely listenable full range speaker I have ever heard. I'd happily use your Mets in my system. Unfortunately I can't say that about your latest projects. To my ears, they simply didn't do it.

Just saying.........because I'm concerned that others should be 'just saying' but somehow it doesn't happen. Of course, it's your's and the Missus' ears, so if you like it, I'll FO.
Cressy Snr
Amstrad Tower of Power

#3 Re: A New Semi-Omni

Post by Cressy Snr »

How they sounded at Owston is irrelevant. I have had plenty of highly positive feedback from hi-fi and importantly, non hi-fi loving friends.
I know exactly what I'm doing! These omnis are meant for real living rooms, and in those environments, they sound wonderful. And no I'm not deluding myself. I know great sound when I hear it.
But.. if folk arent interested then I won't bother taking this thread any further, no skin off my nose. I was in two minds about posting and now my hunch that it might be unwise has proven well founded.
TBH I couldn't give a monkeys fuck anymore.
I'm not an idiot, I know how to design good speakers and I'll just plough my own furrow.

Anyone is perfectly welcome to visit my home and hear just what these designs are capable of. I have nothing to fear on that score.
Last edited by Cressy Snr on Wed Jun 28, 2017 11:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dr Bunsen Honeydew
Old Hand

#4 Re: A New Semi-Omni

Post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

Don't let eeediots mess your head up Snr. It is your ears and your music, you can only make stuff for you not to appease eediots. That is all I have ever done, if they don't like it then tuff!

I am sorely tempted to read his post but I wont as it is obviously with a motive.

If you feel more comfortable in the DIY thread at HFS you are welcome there.
Cressy Snr
Amstrad Tower of Power

#5 Re: A New Semi-Omni

Post by Cressy Snr »

It's fine on that score Richard. My head ain't messed up, far from it :D
I know when I have a good thing going, I'm deadly serious about these designs and more important than that
I BELIEVE in the "product"
Plenty of stuff up my sleeve to keep me going for a while :wink:

However I no longer feel comfortable posting about them.
I might put some stuff up on HFS and an email/pm setup with people I trust on here might move the designs even further on.
I'll have to have a think.
Last edited by Cressy Snr on Thu Jun 29, 2017 12:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
shane
Social outcast

#6 Re: A New Semi-Omni

Post by shane »

Keep going! I want to see what the new version looks like!
The world looks so different after learning science. For example, trees are made of air, primarily. When they are burned, they go back to air, and in their flaming heat is released the flaming heat of the Sun which was bound in to convert air into tree.
karatestu
User

#7 Re: A New Semi-Omni

Post by karatestu »

I very much enjoy reading about your speaker adventures. Either here or HFS, please carry on documenting it.

Stu
:bigsmurf:
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#8 Re: A New Semi-Omni

Post by pre65 »

I always enjoy your build posts Steve. :)
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

G-Popz THE easy listening connoisseur. (Philip)
ed
retired

#9 Re: A New Semi-Omni

Post by ed »

Steve

fwiw

deep breath, count to 10......no reason to stop posting about your travails, there is a big audience for them here.

It's curious how some people will suggest what other people should or should not be working on...criticism of a product is one thing but the other way suggest criticism of the person......after all it's only one person's view amongst many, and after after all words on the internet are, as we know often hollow.
There's nowhere you can be that isn't where you're meant to be
Nick
Site Admin

#10 Re: A New Semi-Omni

Post by Nick »

I think to be fair to Greg he was mainly posting about his opinion about how the speakers sounded at Owston, and we all know that Owston is far from a representative place to judge anything especially speakers.
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
Ali Tait
Eternally single

#11 Re: A New Semi-Omni

Post by Ali Tait »

"They don't sound like that at home" :D
ed
retired

#12 Re: A New Semi-Omni

Post by ed »

Nick wrote: Thu Jun 29, 2017 10:02 am I think to be fair to Greg he was mainly posting about his opinion about how the speakers sounded at Owston, and we all know that Owston is far from a representative place to judge anything especially speakers.
irrelevant as Steve wrote
Cressy Snr wrote:How they sounded at Owston is irrelevant. I have had plenty of highly positive feedback from hi-fi and importantly, non hi-fi loving friends.
I know exactly what I'm doing! These omnis are meant for real living rooms, and in those environments, they sound wonderful. And no I'm not deluding myself. I know great sound when I hear it.
But.. if folk arent interested then I won't bother taking this thread any further, no skin off my nose. I was in two minds about posting and now my hunch that it might be unwise has proven well founded.
surely the point is - keep informing us of the progress
There's nowhere you can be that isn't where you're meant to be
andrew Ivimey
Social Sevices have been notified

#13 Re: A New Semi-Omni

Post by andrew Ivimey »

I'd have thought so! Keep it up Mr C.
Philosophers have only interpreted the world - the point, however, is to change it. No it isn't ... maybe we should leave it alone for a while.
Nick
Site Admin

#14 Re: A New Semi-Omni

Post by Nick »

surely the point is - keep informing us of the progress
Of course.
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
izzy wizzy
Old Hand

#15 Re: A New Semi-Omni

Post by izzy wizzy »

I like your documented build threads. Please carry on.

cheers,

Stephen