Taket Batpure

Dedicated to those large boxes at one end of the room
Greg
Social outcast

#1 Taket Batpure

Post by Greg »

I can remember several Owstons ago, Will turning up with his familiar Jericho Horn speakers only this time he had fitted a pair of super tweeters to them. I had never heard super tweeters before and I was intreagued by the sound change when these tweeters were switched in and out when his system was playing. I concluded that although difficult to explain, the overall effect of them in the system seemed to be generally more body to the sound. Thereafter I had more or less forgotten about super tweeters apart from recognising that some of our members with single driver speakers were starting to incorporate them. I never considered super tweeters might bring a benefit to my system.

I use large floorstanding three way bass reflex speakers. I recently read about some very small (23mm x 12mm) super tweeters called Taket Batpure from Japan. http://www.taket.jp/batpure/batpure.html It was claimed these can be used to enhance the quality of a systems sound by being fitted to a set of speakers. That enhancement can be changed depending on where they are fitted be it for forward, side or rear firing or even hiding them inside reflex ports. They can also be used to improve TV sound and are small enough to be fitted inside the ear cushions on a set of headphones. Multiple pairs apparently can be added to a system with positioning being instrumental in how they enhance the sound.

A couple of friends reported having good results with them so I bought a pair. They are not currently on sale in the U.K. They can be obtained through eBay http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/262726555046? ... noapp=true but they take about a month to arrive. The nearest dealer is Ceres Audio in France http://www.ceresaudio.com/ceres_audio_005.htm. And delivery is just a couple of days. Depending on the exchange rate, they will cost around £50.

I have just started experimenting with mine after I digested the directions on the Japanese to English translated instruction sheet. Their cost was almost worth it alone for the entertainment this brought. They certainly influence the sound in a way I appreciate. At the moment I have them bluetak'd to the front baffle at tweeter height, simply connected with clip leads back to the tweeter input sockets. I have not yet tried moving them around to try the effect of different locations but at present I detect more body to the sound, the revealing of more micro detail, cleaner bass and a deeper sound stage. I still don't understand how a super tweeter causes this effect but it is definitely very real. Real is he relevant word because their overall effect is to make the music sound more real. Well worth the investment in my experience. Give them a go.
Scottmoose
Needs to get out more

#2 Re: Taket Batpure

Post by Scottmoose »

For that sort of price, can't argue. :) Definitely worth trying something like this.
'"That'll do," comes the cry of the perfectionist down the ages.' (James May The Reassembler)
Website www.wodendesign.com
Community sites www.frugal-horn.com & www.frugal-phile.com