Sub Woofer

Dedicated to those large boxes at one end of the room
ed
retired

#166 Re: Sub Woofer

Post by ed »

Nick wrote: Wed May 03, 2017 9:17 pm
How on earth do you know what I'm playing with to make such a statement??
I think Richards post was aimed towards me not you in the first instance Ed.
I think you quote out of context surely??

RD said :
. I have no need for that as nothing new improves on what I all ready have, so all I need is tuning, and that is subjective. You (it looks like) have been looking at new ground, so I forgive you your objective nature :mrgreen: But no one else here needs it, they are just playing with the existing ways, so the bullshit from the like of Moose is just attention seeking "look at how clever I am" bullshit.
there are two subjects in his statement, you and no one else here

I am not in the set you, but am clearly here so I must be in the other set...who RD asserts does not look at new ground...

I merely contest this, as I'm sure our learned brief would if in the same position.
There's nowhere you can be that isn't where you're meant to be
ed
retired

#167 Re: Sub Woofer

Post by ed »

Daniel Quinn wrote: Thu May 04, 2017 10:24 am In my enjoyment of the thread , stop bleating on like Vicky Pollard . Please.
I do not contribute to this thread for your enjoyment....you take a visibly selfish standpoint DQ
Nick
Site Admin

#168 Re: Sub Woofer

Post by Nick »

There is a temporal problem with that. The post that I referred to as being aimed at me instead of you was at time t1, however by the time I posted pointing that out, t2 had happened when you replied to the response of the post at t1, causing a response at t3, by this time after t3, you are correct there are two subjects. Causality being what it is, that genie would not go back into the bottle.
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
Daniel Quinn
Old Hand

#169 Re: Sub Woofer

Post by Daniel Quinn »

Oh, my God! That is so unfair! This is like, well, harassment! If you like, label me a "no new grounder" even if you don't actually name me , its like so unfair God, No, but yeah, but no, because you don't name me doesn't mean you don't mean me and like , its unfair so I must make six posts to confirm that I am breaking new ground , I anint saying what new ground ,mind you , yeah but no , but don't label me without knowing me , like its so unfair
ed
retired

#170 Re: Sub Woofer

Post by ed »

Daniel Quinn wrote: Thu May 04, 2017 10:38 am Oh, my God! That is so unfair! This is like, well, harassment! If you like, label me a "no new grounder" even if you don't actually name me , its like so unfair God, No, but yeah, but no, because you don't name me doesn't mean you don't mean me and like , its unfair so I must make six posts to confirm that I am breaking new ground , I anint saying what new ground ,mind you , yeah but no , but don't label me without knowing me , like its so unfair
oh, go on then, twist my arm, lets make it seven.

If you look closely the whole thing is not about what I'm working on at the moment, but simply contesting what your chum says when I think he's spouting bullshit, or untruths.
Dr Bunsen Honeydew
Old Hand

#171 Re: Sub Woofer

Post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

Back on subject :mrgreen: A sudden thought :mrgreen: back in the old days speakers had wirewound pots to pad the tweeters to your choice, maybe we should try that again.
Nick
Site Admin

#172 Re: Sub Woofer

Post by Nick »

Just thinking about doing that.
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
cressy
Shed dweller

#173 Re: Sub Woofer

Post by cressy »

Wouldnt a 10 turn wirewound or similar add some inductance?
Dr Bunsen Honeydew
Old Hand

#174 Re: Sub Woofer

The resistors used are ceramic wire wounds, so I see no difference. ALL components are minor tuned circuit, that is the problem in relying on absolutes or test gear and not your ears. They also interact in close proximity. A similar thing to speaker Doc Mods, how about trying an amp Doc Mod. Cut all the ties in wiring looms and spread the cables apart :wink:

We are not searching for perfection, that is impossible even if we knew what it was, we are looking for the best compromise.
cressy
Shed dweller

#175 Re: Sub Woofer

Post by cressy »

Dr Bunsen Honeydew wrote: Thu May 04, 2017 11:52 am how about trying an amp Doc Mod. Cut all the ties in wiring looms and spread the cables apart :wink:
All my valve amps look like rats nests inside after buggering about with them so no need
Cressy Snr
Amstrad Tower of Power

#176 Re: Sub Woofer

Post by Cressy Snr »

I once built an EL34 SE amp, it was done in the best GPO wireman tradition; waxed lacing twine with stitches exactly an inch apart. It looked fantastic and took me a week to dress and solder up.
It sounded absolutely crap, and motorboated like buggery at about 3Hz, on Simon's Fostex Horns. Happy days :lol: :lol: :lol:
Sgt. Baker started talkin’ with a Bullhorn in his hand.
Scottmoose
Needs to get out more

#177 Re: Sub Woofer

Post by Scottmoose »

Colin has used adjustable L-pads on tweeters for some years in a number of designs, notably the Edingdale (with Nick & Andrew) and others. Done carefully, it can be quite useful.
Dr Bunsen Honeydew wrote: Thu May 04, 2017 9:56 am I am perfectly happy with criticism, that is why they were sent to Nick, do you not have the intelligence to realise that. What you said was not criticism, it was an insult for effect.
Figure of speech. After the pages worth of abuse you have freely heaved at me (including numerous falsehoods), a minor jab seemed the very least I can do. Get over it.
'"That'll do," comes the cry of the perfectionist down the ages.' (James May The Reassembler)
Website www.wodendesign.com
Community sites www.frugal-horn.com & www.frugal-phile.com
Daniel Quinn
Old Hand

#178 Re: Sub Woofer

Post by Daniel Quinn »

Hoots Mon! There's a Moose Loose About This Hoose.
Dr Bunsen Honeydew
Old Hand

#179 Re: Sub Woofer

Scottmoose wrote: Thu May 04, 2017 2:09 pm Colin has used adjustable L-pads on tweeters for some years in a number of designs, notably the Edingdale (with Nick & Andrew) and others. Done carefully, it can be quite useful.
Dr Bunsen Honeydew wrote: Thu May 04, 2017 9:56 am I am perfectly happy with criticism, that is why they were sent to Nick, do you not have the intelligence to realise that. What you said was not criticism, it was an insult for effect.
Figure of speech. After the pages worth of abuse you have freely heaved at me (including numerous falsehoods), a minor jab seemed the very least I can do. Get over it.
I never get over eeeeediots, I see it as my duty to expose them to ridicule. Each time you spout you give me another excuse.
Scottmoose
Needs to get out more

#180 Re: Sub Woofer

Post by Scottmoose »

Your behavioural issues are your own problem.
'"That'll do," comes the cry of the perfectionist down the ages.' (James May The Reassembler)
Website www.wodendesign.com
Community sites www.frugal-horn.com & www.frugal-phile.com